A Comprehensive Evaluation of Sustainable Manufacturing Programs Using Analytic Network Process (Anp)
Languages of publication
Evaluation o f programs initiated by manufacturing firms that are geared toward sustainability is worthy o f attention in research due to the current global demands o f addressing not just economic growth bu t environmental and social burdens. This paper a ttempts to provide a comprehensive evaluation framework using the hierarchical structure o f sustainable manufacturing (SM) indicators set developed by the US National Institute o f Standards and Technology (US NIST) and a multi-criteria decisionmaking (MCDM) approach, the analytic network process (ANP). ANP is deemed appropriate, aside from the multi-criteria nature o f the problem, because o f the presence o f subjective components that are interrelating in complex relationships. A real case study is carried out in a semiconductor manufacturing firm in the Philippines in the evaluation o f its programs toward sustainability. The results show that the creation and implementation o f cleaner production technologies are considered the most relevant programs. Developing energy-efficient products and adopting lean six sigma programs are considered second o n the list. This paper proposes that sustainability is achieved by formulating strategies that enhance customer and community well-being v ia addressing environmental concerns especially o n toxic substance, greenhouse gas (GHG) and air emissions. The contribution o f this paper consists in providing an evaluation framework which is comprehensive enough to capture real-life complex decision-making processes. Limitations and possibilities fo r future research are also presented in this paper.
- Ageron B., Gunasekaran A. and Spalanzani A. (2012), Sustainable Supply Chain Management: An Empirical Study, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 140, No. 1, 168-182.
- Alonso J.A. and Lamata M.T. (2006), Consistency in the Analytic Hierarchy Process: A New Approach, International Journal of Uncertainty, Fuzziness and Knowledge-Based Systems, Vol. 14, No. 4, 445-459.
- Azapagic A. (2003), Systems Approach to Corporate Sustainability: A General Management Framework, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, Vol. 81, No. 5, 303-316.
- Baskaran V., Nachiappan S. and Rahman S. (2012), Indian Textile Suppliers’ Sustainability Evaluation Using the Grey Approach, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 135, No. 2, 647-658.
- Brucker K. de, Macharis C. and Verbeke A. (2013), Multi-criteria Analysis and the Resolution o f Sustainable Development Dilemmas: A Stakeholder Management Approach, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 224, No. 1, 122-131.
- Chen C.C., Shih H.S., Shyur H.J. and Wu K.S. (2012), A Business Strategy Selection of Green Supply Chain Management via an Analytic Network Process, Computers and Mathematics with Applications, Vol. 64, No. 8, 2544-2557.
- Cho K.T. (2003), Multicriteria Decision Methods: An Attempt to Evaluate and Unify, Mathematical and Computer Modeling, Vol. 37, No. 9-10, 1099-1119.
- Dreher J., Lawler M., Stewart J., Strasorier G. and Thorne M. (2009), General Motors Metrics fo r Sustainable Manufacturing, MIT Sloan School of Management Report, MIT Sloan School, Cambridge MA, USA.
- EEA (European Environmental Agency) CSI (2005), EEA Core Set o f Indicators, EEA Technical Report, No. 1.
- Elkington J. (1997), Cannibals with Forks: The Triple Bottom Line o f 21st Century Business, Capstone, Oxford.
- EpfI (Environmental Performance Indicators) (2010), 2010 Environmental PerformanceIndicators, Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy/Centerfor International Earth Science Information Network in Collaboration with World Economic Forum/Joint Research Centre of the European Commission, http://epi.yale.edu/file_columns/0000/0008/epi-2010.pdf.
- EprI (1999), Towards Environmental Pressure Indicators fo r the EU, Environment and Energy Paper Theme 8, Luxembourg, European Commission, http://biogov.cpdr.ucl.ac.be/communication/papers/tepi99rp_EN105.pdf.
- ESI (Environmental Sustainability Indicators) (2005), 2005 Environmental Sustainability Index: Benchmarking National Environmental Stewardship, Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy/Center for International Earth Science Information Network, http:www.yale.edu/esi/ESI2005.pdf.
- Feng S.C., Joung C.B. and Li G. (2010), Development Overview o f Sustainable Manufacturing Metrics, Proceedings of the 17th CIRP International Conference on Life Cycle Engineering, Hefei, China, 6-12.
- Ghadimi P., Azadnia A.H., Yusof N.M. and Saman M.Z.M. (2012), A Weighted Fuzzy Approach fo r Product Sustainability Assessment: A Case Study in Automotive Industry, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 33, 10-21.
- GRI (Global Reporting Initiative) (2006), Sustainability Reporting Guidelines, Version 3.0, 2000-2006 GRI, http://www.globalreporting.org.
- Heijungs R., Huppes G. and Guinee J.B. (2010), Life Cycle Assessment and Sustainability Analysis o f Products, Materials and Technologies: Toward a Scientific Framework fo r Sustainability Life Cycle Analysis, Polymer Degradation and Stability, Vol. 95, No. 3, 422-428.
- Herva M. and Roca E. (2013), Review o f Combined Approaches and Multicriteria Analysis fo r Corporate Environmental Evaluation, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 39, 355-371.
- IChemE (2002), The Sustainability Metrics: Sustainable Development Progress Metrics Recommended fo r Use in the Process Industries, Institution of Chemical Engineers, Warwickshire.
- International Trade Administration (2007), How Does Commerce Define Sustainable Manufacturing? U.S. Department of Commerce, Available: http://www.trade.gov/competitiveness/sustainablemanufacturing/how_doc_defines_SM.asp.
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization) (1999), Environmental Management-Environmental Performance Evaluation-Guidelines, ISO 14031:1999(E), Geneva, Switzerland.
- Jaafar I.H. et al. (2007), Product Design fo r Sustainability: A New Assessment Methodology and Case Studies [in:] Handbook o f Environmentally Conscious Mechanical Design, M. Kurtz (ed.), John Wiley & Sons, 25-65.
- Japan Science and Technology Agency (1995), A Systematic Analysis o f Science and Technology in Japan, National Institute of Science and Technology Policy Report No. 37.
- Jayal A.D., Baburdeen F., Dillon O.W. Jr. and Jawahir I. S. (2010), Sustainable Manufacturing: Modelling and Optimization Challenges at the Product, Process and System Levels, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science andTechnology, Vol. 2, No. 3, 144-152.
- Joung C.B., Carrell J., Sarkar P. and Feng S.C. (2013), Categorization o f Indicators for Sustainable Manufacturing, Ecological Indicators, Vol. 24, 148-157.
- Krajnc D. and Glavic P. (2005), A Model fo r Integrated Assessment o f Sustainable Development, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, Vol. 43, No. 2,189-208.
- Labuschagne C., Brent A.C. and van Erck R.P.G. (2005), Assessing the Sustainability Performances o f Industries, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 13, No. 4, 373-385.
- Lozano R. (2012), Towards Better Embedding Sustainability into Companies’ Systems: An Analysis o f Voluntary Corporate Initiatives, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 25, 14-26.
- Ocampo L.A. and Clark E.E. (2014a), Developing a Framework fo r Manufacturing Strategies Selection, DLSU Business & Economics Review, Vol. 23, No. 2, 115-131.
- Ocampo L.A. and Clark E.E. (2014b), An AHP-MOLP Approach on Prioritizing Competitive Strategies toward Sustainable Business, International Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management, Vol. 5, No. 2, 95-106.
- OECD CEI (2003), OECD Environmental Indicators: Development, Measurement and Use, OECD Environmental Performance and Information Division, http://www.pecd.org/env.
- Promentilla M.A.B., Furuichi T., Ishii K. and Tanikawa N. (2006a), Evaluation of Remedial Countermeasures Using the Analytic Network Process, Waste Management, Vol. 26, No. 12, 1410-1421.
- Promentilla M.A.B., Furuichi T., Ishii K. and Tanikawa N. (2006b), A Prioritization Method Using Hierarchicalal Network Model fo r Multi-criteria Evaluation of Remedial Countermeasures, Doboku Gakkai Ronbunshuu G, Vol. 62,No. 3, 308-324.
- Promentilla M.A.B., Furuichi T., Ishii K. and Tanikawa N. (2008), A Fuzzy Analytic Network Process fo r Multi-criteria Evaluation o f Contaminated Site Remedial Countermeasures, Journal of Environmental Management, Vol. 88,No. 3, 479-495.
- Saaty T.L. (1980), The Analytic Hierarchy Process, McGraw-Hill, New York, USA.
- Saaty T.L. (2001), Decision Making with Dependence and Feedback: The Analytic Network Process, 2nd ed., RWS Publications, Pittsburg, USA.
- SAM Index (2007), The Dow Jones Sustainability Index, http:www.sustainability-index.com.
- Schmidt W. and Taylor A. (2006), Ford o f Europe’s Product Sustainability Index, Proceedings of 13th CIRP International Conference on Life Cycle Engineering, Leuven, Belgium, 5-10.
- Silva N. de, Jawahir I.S., Dillon Jr. O. and Russell M. (2009), A New Comprehensive Methodology fo r the Evaluation o f Product Sustainability at the Design and Development Stage o f Consumer Electronic Products, International Journal of Sustainable Manufacturing, Vol. 1, No. 3, 251-264.
- Singh R.K., Murty H.R., Gupta S.K. and Dikshit A.K. (2007), Development o f Composite Sustainability Performance Index fo r Steel Industry, Ecological Indicators, Vol. 7, No. 3, 565-588.
- SMIR (2011), Sustainable Manufacturing Indicator Repository, http://www.nist. gov/el/msid/smir.cfm.
- Spangenberg J.H. and Bonniot O. (2007), Sustainability Indicators - A Compasson the Road towards Sustainability, Wuppertal Paper No 81, 1998 UN-CSD(the United Nations Committee on Sustainable Development) Indicators of Sustainable Development: Guidelines and Methodologies, 3rd ed., The United Nations, New York, http://www.un.org/esa/sustdev/natlinfo/indicators/guidelines.pdf.
- Tseng M.L., Chiang J.H. and Lan L.W. (2009a), Selection o f Optimal Supplier in Supply Chain Management Strategy with Analytic Network Process and Choquet Integral, Computers and Industrial Engineering, Vol. 57, No. 1, 330-340.
- Tseng M.L., Divinagracia L. and Divinagracia R. (2009b), Evaluating Firm’s Sustainable Production Indicators in Uncertainty, Computers and Industrial Engineering, Vol. 57, No. 4, 1393-1403.
- Tseng M.L., Chen Y.H. and Geng Y. (2012), Integrated Model o f Hot Spring Service Quality Perceptions under Uncertainty, Applied Soft Computing, Vol. 12, No. 8, 2352-2361.
- UN-CSD (the United Nations Committee on Sustainable Development) (2007), Indicators o f Sustainable Development: Guidelines and Methodologies, 3rd ed.,The United Nations, New York, http://www.un.org/esa/sustdev/natlinfo/indicators/guidelines.pdf.
- Vinodh S. and Jeya Girubha R. (2012), PROMETHEE Based Sustainable Concept Selection, Applied Mathematical Modelling, Vol. 36, No. 11, 5301-5308.
- Walmart Sustainability Product Index (2009), http://walmartstores.com/download/3863.pdf.
Publication order reference