Reflux esophagitis and Helicobacter pylori: Is there an association in children?
Languages of publication
Purpose: The role of Helicobacter pylori (Hp) in the development of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) remains disputable. This study was planned to determine clinical-epidemic correlations between reflux esophagitis (RE) and Hp in older children. Materials and methods: 308 children with RE and 418 patients with chronic gastritis (CG) without RE between the ages of 12 and 18 were examined. Hp was diagnosed by histological (Giemsa and hematoxylin-eosin stain, with evaluation of dissemination grade) and rapid urease test. Subjective symptoms (heartburn, abdominal pain, other dyspeptic complaints) were analyzed by questionnaire. Results: Hp infection was found in 44.5% of children with RE (no difference in patients without RE), and it does not increase the erosive esophageal defects risk. Clinical symptoms are not connected to this infection in examined patients. The frequency of Hp infection decreases with the disease duration increase. Conclusion: The development of RE is not connected with Hp, but the disease course has certain peculiarities in the conditions of Hp infection.
- Dent J, El-Serag HB, Wallander M-A, Johansson S. Epidemiology of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease: a systematic review. Gut. 2005 May; 54(5):710-7.
- Ness-Jensen E, Lindam A, Lagergren J, Hveem K. Changes in prevalence, incidence and spontaneous loss of gastro-oesophageal reflux symptoms: a prospective population-based cohort study, the HUNT study. Gut. 2012 Oct; 61(10):1390-7.
- Thor PJ, Blaut U. Helicobacter pylori infection in pathogenesis of gastroesophageal reflux disease. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2006 Sep; 57 Suppl 3:81-90.
- Vakil N. Disease definition, clinical manifestations, epidemiology and natural history of GERD. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2010 Dec; 24(6):759-64.
- Gold BD. Outcomes of pediatric gastroesophageal reflux disease: in the first year of life, in childhood, and in adults oh, and should we really leave Helicobacter pylori alone? J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2003 Nov-Dec; 37 Suppl 1:S33-9.
- Gold BD. Review article: epidemiology and management of gastro-oesophageal reflux in children. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004 Feb; 19 Suppl. 1:22-7.
- Winter HS, Illueca M, Henderson C, Vaezi M. Review of the persistence of gastroesophageal reflux disease in children, adolescents and adults: does gastroesophageal reflux disease in adults sometimes begin in childhood? Scand J Gastroenterol. 2011 Oct; 46(10):1157-68.
- Vakil N., van Zanden SV, Kahrilas P, Dent J, Jones R; Global Consensus Group. The Montreal definition and classification of gastroesophageal reflux disease: A global evidence-based consensus. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006 Aug; 101(8):1900-20.
- Semenuk LA, Sannikova NE, Medvedeva SU, Domracheva TP. [Reflux-esophagitis in children and adolescents (clinical features, diagnosis and treatment)]. Ros Ped J. 2006; 1:11-5 (Russian).
- Herbella FA, Patti MG. Gastroesophageal reflux disease: From pathophysiology to treatment. World J Gastroenterol. 2010 Aug 14; 16(30):3745-49.
- Sonnenberg A. Effects of environment and lifestyle on gastroesophageal reflux disease. Dig Dis. 2011; 29(2):229-34.
- Yamamichi N, Mochizuki S, Asada-Nirayama I, Mikami-Matsuda R, Shimamoto T, Konno-Shimuzu M, Takanashi Y, Takeuchi C, Niimi K, Ono S, Kodashima S, Minatsuki C, Fujishiro N, Mitsushima T, Koike K. Lifestyle factors affecting gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms: a cross-sectional study of healthy 19864 adults using FSSG scores. BMC Med. 2012 May 3; 10:45.
- Cremonini F, DiCaro S, Delgado-Aros S, Sepulveda A, Gasbarrini G, Gasbarrini A, Camilleri M. Meta-analysis: the relationship between Helicobacter pylori infection and gastro-oesophageal reflux disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2003 Aug 1; 18(3):279-89.
- de Souza RC., Lima JH. Helicobacter pylori and gastroesophageal reflux disease: a review of this intriguing relationship. Dis Esophagus. 2009: 22(3); 256-63.
- Elitsur Y, Durst P, Lawrence Z, Rewalt M. Does Helicobacter pylori protect children from refluxe-disease? J Clin Gastroenterol 2008 Feb; 42(2):215-6.
- Nordenstedt H, Nilsson M, Johnsen R, Lagergren J, Hveem K. Helicobacter pylori infection and gastroesophageal reflux in a population-based study. Helicobacter 2007 Feb; 12(1): 16-22.
- Pacifico L, Anania C, Osborn JF, Ferraro F, Chiesa C. Consequences of Helicobacter infection in children. World J Gastroenterol. 2010 Nov 7; 16(41):5181-94.
- Sharma P, Vakil N. Review article: Helicobacter pylori and reflux disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2003 Feb; 17(3): 297-305.
- Wallis-Crespo MC, Crespo A. Helicobacter pylori infection in pediatric population: epidemiology, pathophysiology, and therapy. Fetal Pediatr Pathol. 2004 Jan; 23(1):11-28.
- Zagorskiĭ SÈ, Korzhik AV, Fursa TIu, Pechkovskaia EV. [Epidemiological aspects of gastroesophageal reflux disease in children in the conditions of large industrial city]. Eksp Klin Gastroenterol. 2013; (5):17-22 (Russian).
- Daugule I, Rumba I, Alksnis J, Ejderhamn J. Helicobacter pylori infection among children with gastrointestinal symptoms: a high prevalence of infection among patients with reflux esophagitis. Acta Paediatr. 2007 Jul; 96(7):1047-49.
- Moon A., Solomon A., Beneck D., Cunningham-Rundles S. Positive association between Helicobacter pylori and gastroesophageal reflux disease in children. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2009 Sept; 49(3):283-8.
- Emiroglu HH, Sokucu S, Suoglu OD, Gullioglu M, Gokce S. Is there a relationship between Helicobacter pylori infection and erosive reflux disease in children? Acta Paediatr. 2010 Jan; 99(1):121-5.
- Fallone CA, Barkun AN, Mayrand S, Wakil G, Friedman G, Szilagui A, Wheeler C, Ross D. There is no difference in the disease severity of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease between patients infected and not infected with Helicobacter pylori. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004 Oct 1; 20(7):761-8.
- Grande M., Cadeddu F., Villa M, Attina GM, Muzi MG, Nigro C, Rulli F, Farinon AM. Helicobacter pylori and gastroesophageal reflux disease. World J Surg Oncology. 2008 Jul 5; 6:74.
- Ashktorab H, Entezari O, Nouraie M, Dowlati E, Frederick W, Woods, Lee E, Brim H, Smoot DT, Ghadyari F, Kamangar F, Razjouyan H. Helicobacter pylori protection against reflux esophagitis. Dig Dis Sci. 2012 Nov; 57(11):2924-8.
- Chung SJ, Lim SH, Choi J, Kim D, Kim YS, Park MJ, Yim JY, Kim JS, Cho SH, Jung HC, Song IS. Helicobacter pylori serology inversely correlated with the risk and severity of reflux esophagitis in Helicobacter pylori endemic area: a matched case-control study of 5 616 health check-up Koreans. J Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2011 Jul; 17(3):267-73.
- Wang PC, Hsu CS, Tseng TC, Hsieh TC, Chen CH, Su WC, Lin HH, Wang CC. Male sex, hiatus hernia, and Helicobacter pylori infection associated with asymptomatic erosive esophagitis. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012 Mar; 27(3):586-91.
- Levine A, Milo T, Broide E, Wine E, Dalal I, Boaz M, Avni Y, Shirin H.Influence of Helicobacter pylori eradication on gastro-esophageal reflux symptoms and epigastric pain in children and adolescents. Pediatrics. 2004 Jan; 113(1Pt1):54-8.
- Laine L, Sugg J. Effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on development of erosive esophagitis and gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms: a post hoc analysis of double blind prospective studies. Am J Gastroenterol. 2002 Dec; 97(12):2992-7.
- Zullo A, Hassan C, Repici A, Bruzzese V. Helicobacter pylori eradication and reflux disease onset: did gastric acid get “crazy”? World J Gastroenterol. 2013 Feb; 19(6):786-9.
Publication order reference