Using the analytic hierarchy process in evaluating decision alternatives
Selected contents from this journal
Languages of publication
In this paper the method of the Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP) is described. At the beginning the general assumptions of the method are characterized and discussed. These are related to assumptions held within General Systems Theory. Then the problems of pairwise comparisons of elements, with its use of a specific scale, as well as the resulting reciprocal matrix are presented. There are many ways of estimating the eigenvectors of this matrix. These eigenvectors reflect weights of preferences. Despite the fact that we are able to evaluate the consistency of judgements the problem of acceptable weights still remains. Therefore, by way of an illustration, the method for the sensitivity analysis of preferences is also discussed in the paper.
- AL-SUBHI AL –HARBI, K.M, Application of the AHP in project management, International Journal of Project Management, 2001, Vol. 19, 19–27.
- BERTALANFFY L., Ogólna teoria systemów, PWN, Warszawa 1984.
- COGGER K.O., YOU P.L., Eigen weight vectors and least distance approximation for revealed preference in pairwise weight ratios, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, 1985, Vol. 36 (4).
- CRAWFORD G., WILLIAMS G., A Note on the Analysis of Subjective Judgement Matrices, Journal of Mathematical Psychology, 1985, Vol. 29, 387–405.
- GOLANY B., KRESS M., A multicriteria evaluation of methods for obtaining weight from ratio scale matrices, European Journal of Operational Research, 1991, Vol. 69, 210–220.
- HURLEY W.J., The analytic hierarchy process: a note on an approach to sensitivity which preserves rank order, Computers & Operations Research, 2001, Vol. 28, 185–188.
- KOWALCZYK B., Macierze i ich zastosowania, WNT, Warszawa 1976.
- Metody wielokryterialne na polskim rynku finansowym, pod red. T. TRZASKALIKA, PWE, Warszawa 2006.
- MILLER G.A., The magical number seven, plus or minus two: some limits on our capacity for processing information, The Psychological Review, 1956, Vol. 63.
- PETTOFREZZO A., Matrices and transformations, Dover Publications Inc., New York 1978.
- SAATY R.W., The Analytic Hierarchy Process – what it is and how it is used, Mathematical Modeling, 1987, Vol. 9, No. 3–5, 161–176.
- SAATY T., Decision making for Leaders: The Analytic Hierarchy Process for decisions in a complex world, University of Pittsburgh, RWS Publications, Pittsburgh 2001.
- SAATY T., The Analytic Hierarchy Process, McGraw-Hill, New York 1980.
- STABRYŁA A., Zarządzanie strategiczne w teorii i praktyce firmy, PWN, Warszawa 2000.
- TAKEDA E., COGGER K.O., Estimating criterion weights using eigenvectors: A comparative study, European Journal of Operational Research, 1987, Vol. 29, 360–369.
- VARGAS L.G., An overview of the Analytic Hierarchy Process and its applications, European Journal of Operational Research, 1990, Vol. 48, 2–8.
- YÜKSEL I., DAĞDEVIREN M., Using the analytic network process (ANP) In a SWOT analysis- A case study for a textile firm, Information Sciences, 2007, Vol. 117, 3364–3382
Publication order reference