New Division Lines in the European Union: How to Cope with Them?
Languages of publication
The situation in the European Union (the EU) is undergoing in recent years a very dynamic, if not dramatic, change. During the process current liberal mainstream has found itself under growing pressure of many antiestablishment forces, mainly of far-right, more and more frequently described as (what depend from the perspective of the analysis) as "counterrevolutionary” or “revolutionary change”. What are the reasons of those deep social and political controversies in the EU and what they can produce? Author of this study is coming to conclusion, that multiple crises need creative thinking. It is already more than obvious that Europe now is facing many complicated problems to be resolved. Especially by those, who are concerned about the future of the EU and its member states. Because, if they will not fi nd a solution, their “populist” and “nationalist” opponents will prevail.
- Delcker J., Bavaria’s man in Berlin pushes Merkel to brink, https://www.politico.eu/article/horst-seehofer-bavarias-man-in-berlin-pushes-angelamerkel-to-brink-on-migration-policy/.
- EU launching proceedings against Poland over legal overhaul, eds. M. Castels et al., Polity Press, Cambridge 2018, http://www.thenews.pl/1/10/Artykul/318027,EU-launching-proceedings-against-Poland-over-legal-overhaul.
- Foster A., Terror attacks timeline: From Paris and Brussels terror to most recent attacks in Europe, https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/693421/Terror-attacks-timeline-France-Brussels-Europe-ISIS-killings-Germanydates-terrorism.
- Golod V., Austria’s Kurz wants ‘axis of willing against illegai immigration, https://www.politico.eu/article/austrias-sebastian-kurz-wants-axis-ofwilling-against-illegal-migration/.
- Góralczyk B., Return of History or Anti-liberal Revolution, “Yearbook of Polish European Studies”, vol. 19/2016, pp. 11–34.
- Herszenhorn D.M., Barigazzi J., De La Baume M., Poland will face disciplinary hearing on rule-of-law dispute with EU, https://www.politico.hu/article/poland-rule-of-law-will-face-disciplinary-hearingon-with-eu/.
- Jones E., Italy’s Revolt Against the EU, https://www.foreignaffairs.com/ articles/italy/2018-05-24/italys-revolt-against-eu.14 https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/socialism-and-populism-in-polandby-mitchell-a--orenstein-2018-06 (15.06.2018).
- Karnitschnig M., Angela Merkel’s political near-death experience in Bavarian brawl, https://www.politico.eu/article/angela-merkels-battle-withbavaria-refugees-migration-masterplan/.
- Kirchick J., The End of Europe, Dictators, Demagogues, and the Coming Dark Age, Yale University Press 2018.
- Krastev I., Eastern Europe’s Illiberal Revolution, https://www.foreignaffairs.com /articles/hungary/2018-04-16/eastern-europes-illiberal-revolution.
- Laqueur W., After the Fall: The End of the European Dream and the Decline of a Continent, New York Macmillan, 2012.
- Leonard M., Will Italy’s Populists Upend Europe?, https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/italy-fi ve-star-league-government-by-markleonard-2018-05.
- Magyar B., Post-Communist Mafia State: The Case of Hungary, Central European University, Budapest 2016.
- Milanovic B., Global Inequality. A New Approach for the Age of Globalization, The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts– London 2016, https://doi.org/10.4159/9780674969797.
- Orbán V., Nem leszünk gyarmat (We will not be a colony), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_yVAobI2d0.
- Piketty T., Capital in the Twenty-First Century, Belknap Press of Harvard University Press 2017, https://doi.org/10.4159/9780674982918.
- Stiglitz J.E., The EURO. How A Common Currency Threatens The Future of Europe, W. W. Norton & Company, New York–London 2016.
- Talbott S., Trump just ruined G7. Now what, https://www.politico.eu/article/trump-just-blew-up-the-g7-now-what/.
- US: Rumsfeld’s “Old” and “New” Europe Touches on Uneasy Divide, Radio Free Europe – Radio Liberty, January 24, 2003, www.rferl.org/a/1102012.html.
- Verhofstadt, G. Europe’s Last Chance: Why the European States Must Form a More Perfect Union, Basic Books, London 2017.
Publication order reference