Text mining in practice: exploring patterns in text collections of remote work job offers
Languages of publication
The aim of this paper is to give an insight into text mining techniques in the context of unstructured text collections of location independent job offers. In order to extract useful information, uncover interesting patterns and features of remote work, we analyze the five most popular and most visited websites containing job offers. We examine clusters of remote job offers, the keywords describing those clusters, as well as the linkages between strongly associated terms describing mobile work offers. It is interesting to observe the maturity of the text mining tools which have broadened their applications to new research topics and have become suitable to explore new phenomena.
- Aggarwal CC., Zhai C., A survey of text clustering algorithms, [in:] C.C. Aggarwal, C. Zhai (eds.), Mining Text Data, Springer, March 2012, pp. 77-128.
- Agrawal R., Batra M., A detailed study on text mining techniques, “International Journal of Soft Computing and Engineering” , January 2013, vol. 2, iss. 6, pp. 118-121.
- Baker P.M., Moon N.W., Ward A.C., Virtual exclusion and telework: barriers and opportunities of technocentric workplace accommodation policy, “Work” 2006, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 421-430.
- Blansché A., Cojan J., Dufour-Lussier V., Lieber J., Molli P., Nauer E., Skaf-Molli H., Toussaint Y., Table 3: Adaptation of Ingredient Quantities and of Textual Preparations, 18th International Conference on Case-Based Reasoning, Alessandria, Piemonte, Italy 2010, p. 195.
- Bloom N., Liang J., Roberts J., Ying Z.J., Does Working from Home Work? Evidence from a Chinese Experiment, CEP Discussion Paper no. 1194, March 2013, pp. 1-35.
- Bolasco S., Canzonetti A., Capo F.M., della Ratta-Rinaldi F., Singh B.K., Understanding text mining: A pragmatic approach, [in:] S. Sirmakessis (ed.), Knowledge Mining, vol. 185, Studies in Fuzziness and Soft Computing, Springer 2005, pp. 31-50.
- Busch E., Nash J., Bell B.S., Remote work: An Examination of Current Trends and Emerging Issues, Ithaca, Center for Advanced Human Resource Studies, Cornell University, 2011, pp. 9-10.
- Don A., Zheleva E., Gregory M., Tarkan S., Auvil L., Clement T., Shneiderman B., Plaisant C., Discovering interesting usage patterns in text collections: Integrating text mining with visualization, [in:] Proceedings of the Sixteenth ACM Conference on Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, 2007, pp. 213-222.
- Dutcher E.G., Saral K.J., Does Team Telecommuting Affect Productivity? An Experiment, MPRA Paper no. 41594, Webster University Geneva, September 2012, pp. 1-29.
- Fuhr J.P., Pociask S., Broadband and telecommuting: Helping the U.S. environment and the economy, “Low Carbon Economy” 2011, vol. 2, no. 1, Scientific Research Publishing, pp. 41-47.
- Garrett R.K., Danziger J.N., Which telework? Defining and testing a taxonomy of technology-mediated work at a distance, “Social Science Computer Review”, Spring 2007, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 27-47.
- Gharehchopogh F.S., Khalifehlou Z.A., Study on Information extraction methods from text mining and natural language processing perspectives, “AWER Procedia Information Technology & Computer Science” 2012, vol. 1, pp. 1321-1327.
- Gottfried K., The World of Work: Global Study of Online Employees Shows One in Five (17%) Work from Elsewhere, Ipsos 2012, press release 23.01.2012, http://www.ipsos-na.com/news-polls/pressrelease.aspx?id=5486 [accessed: April 2013].
- Gupta V., Lehal G.S., A Survey of text mining techniques and applications, “Journal of Emerging Technologies in Web Intelligence” , August 2009, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 60-76.
- http://www.careerbuilder.com/Jobs/Keyword/Remote/ [accessed: April 2013].
- http://momstowork.jobamatic.com/a/jobs/find-jobs/q-Remote [accessed: April 2013].
- http://www.simplyhired.com/a/jobs/list/q-remote/fjt-telecommute [accessed: April 2013].
- http://www.remoteemployment.com [accessed: April 2013].
- http://jobsearch.monster.com/search/?q=remote [accessed: April 2013].
- Jusoh S., Alfawareh H.M., Techniques, Applications and Challenging Issues in Text Mining, “IJCSI International Journal of Computer Science Issues”, November 2012,v ol. 9, iss. 6, no. 2, pp. 431-436.
- Kaur R., Aggarwal S., Techniques for mining text documents, “International Journal of Computer Applications”, March 2013, vol. 66, no.18, pp. 25-29.
- Lin D., Pantel P., DIRT − Discovery of Inference Rules from Text, [in:] Proceedings of ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, 2001, pp. 323-328.
- Lister K., Harnish T., The State of Telework in the U.S. − How Individuals, Business, and Government Benefit, Telework Research Network 2011, pp. 21-25.
- Mahesh T.R., Suresh M.B., Vinayababu M., Text mining: advancements, challenges and future directions, “International Journal of Reviews in Computing” 2010, vol. 3, pp. 61-65.
- Mann S., Holdsworth L., The psychological impact of teleworking: stress, emotions and health, “New Technology, Work and Employment” 2003, vol. 13, no. 3, Blackwell Publishing, pp. 196-211.
- Patel F.N., Soni N.R., Text mining: A Brief survey, “International Journal of Advanced Computer Research”, December 2012, vol. 2, no. 4, iss. 6, pp. 243-248.
- Radovanović M., Ivanović M., Text Mining approaches and applications, “Novi Sad Journal of Mathematics” 2008, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 227-234.
- Ramanathan V., Meyyappan T., Survey of Text Mining, International Conference on Technology and Business Management, March 2013, pp. 508-514.
- Schadler T., Brown M., Burnes S., US Telecommuting Forecast, 2009 To 2016, Information & Knowledge Management Professionals, Forrester Research 2009, pp. 2-10.
- Stroińska E., Elastyczne formy zatrudnienia. Telepraca. Zarządzanie pracą zdalną, Poltext, Warszawa 2012, pp. 115-134.
- Su Z., Kogan J., Nicholas C., Constrained clustering with k-means type algorithms, [in:] M.W. Berry, J. Kogan, Text Mining: Applications and Theory, Wiley, 2010, pp. 81-103.
- Teh B.H., Ong T.S., Loh Y.L., The acceptance and effectiveness of telecommuting (work from home) in Malaysia, Global Conference on Innovations in Management, London 2011, pp. 34-51.
- Vidhya K.A., Aghila G., Text mining process, techniques and tools: An overview, “International Journal of Information Technology and Knowledge Management” 2010, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 613-622.
- Ward N., Shabha G., Teleworking: An assessment of socio-psychological factors, “Facilities” 2001, vol. 19, no. 1-2, Birmingham, pp. 61-71.
- Watad M.M., Jenkins G.T., The impact of telework on knowledge creation and management, “Journal of Knowledge Management Practice” , December 2010, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 237-251.
Publication order reference