Analysis of the impact of storage parameters and the size of orders on the choice of the method for routing order picking
Selected contents from this journal
Languages of publication
The paper presents an analysis of the impact of the number of picking aisles, slots in a rack, the size of pick lists, and the routing method on the performance of the order picking process. In the analysis, the forklift truck’s maneuvers such as turns back and turns aside, omitted by some scientists, are considered. Although only random storage assignment is examined in this paper, the possible congestion effect is considered. Experiments were performed by the use of simulations.
- BARTHOLDI III J.J., HACKMAN S.T., Warehouse and Distribution Science, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta 2011.
- BOCHAROV P.P., D’APICE C., PECHINKIN A.V., SALERNO S., Queuing Theory, VSP, Utrecht 2004.
- DE KOSTER R., LE DUC T., ROODBERGEN K.J., Design and control of warehouse order picking. A literature review, European Journal of Operational Research, 2007, 182 (2), 481–501.
- DE KOSTER R., VAN DER POORT E.S., Routing order pickers in a warehouse. A comparison between optimal and heuristic solutions, IIE Transactions, 1998, 30, 469–480.
- FIJAŁKOWSKI J., Storage technology. Selected topics, Oficyna Wydawnicza Politechniki Warszawskiej, Warszawa 1987 (in Polish).
- FIJAŁKOWSKI J., Internal transport in logistic systems, Oficyna Wydawnicza Politechniki Warszawskiej, Warszawa 2003 (in Polish).
- HALL R.W., Distance approximations for routing manual pickers in a warehouse, IIE Transactions, 1993, 25 (4), 76–87.
- HUBER C., Throughput Analysis of Manual Order Picking Systems with Congestion Consideration, KIT Scientific Publishing, Karlsruhe 2011.
- JACYNA M., KŁODAWSKI M., Laboriousness of the order picking process for various methods of item assignment in the picking area, Prace Naukowe Politechniki Warszawskiej, z. 70, Warszawa 2009 (in Polish).
- JAKUBIAK M., TARCZYŃSKI G., Selection of manual order picking concept in a warehouse by means of simulation tools, Mathematical Economics, 2012, 8 (15), 47–64.
- JARVIS J.M., MCDOWELL E.D., Optimal product layout in an order picking warehouse, IIE Transactions, 1991, 23 (1), 93–102.
- KUNDER R., GUDEHUS T., Average travel times for one-dimensional order picking, Zeitschrift für Operations Research, 1975, 19, B53–B72 (in German).
- LE DUC T., DE KOSTER R., Travel distance estimation in a single-block ABC storage strategy warehouse, [in:] B. Fleischmann, B. Klose (Eds.), Distribution Logistics. Advanced Solutions to Practical Problems, Springer, Berlin 2005, 185–202.
- LE DUC T., Design and Control of Efficient Order Picking Processes, PhD Thesis, Erasmus University, Rotterdam 2005.
- PETERSEN C.G., An evaluation of order picking routing policies, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 1997, 17 (11), 1098–1111.
- RATLIFF H.D., ROSENTHAL A.S., Order-picking in a rectangular warehouse. A solvable case of the traveling salesman problem, Operations Research, 1983, 31 (3), 515–533.
- ROODBERGEN K.J., DE KOSTER R., Routing order pickers in a warehouse with a middle aisle, European Journal of Operational Research, 2001, 133 (1), 32–43.
Publication order reference