Competitiveness and the emotional essence of a region image
Languages of publication
From the behavioural economy point of view, the image of a region becomes more and more important. Image has strong influence on forming the demographic situation, at the level of investment attractiveness and some other aspects of competitiveness of a region. Image is mostly important for tourist business development. Throughout the last fifteen years we have developed methods that enable measuring the emotional essence of images with high objectivity and accuracy. First of all, the given methods are intended for studying the most widespread forms of image – verbal and visual ones. Both techniques exist in the form of computer programmes which provide high speed and enable analysing big amounts of initial data. The emotional spectrum of statements of Kraków visitors (on the materials of English language tourist blogs) contains a relatively high share of emotions of grief, fear and anger. It is possible to assume that for tourists from Central and Western Europe, visiting Kraków is emotionally somehow close to visiting Siberia, both are thought of as “East” for them. On the contrary, the emotional essence of advertising materials is strongly shifted towards emotions of interest and pride. The advertising materials devoted to many other tourist magnets of Europe, America or Asia have similar spectrums. As a result, the image of Kraków is deprived of individuality. Uniqueness of the city is not reflected. The narrow and monotonous emotional spectrum of advertising can push away a potential tourist. The emotional maintenance of advertising materials forms quite certain expectations of a potential buyer (tourist). Discrepancy between the emotions promised by advertising and the real experience leaves an impression of deceit, not justified expectations. In a long-term prospect, such advertising inevitably reduces tourist appeal and competitiveness of the region.
- Лидин К.Л. Имидж Сибири в сегодняшней Западной Европе // Регион на перекрестке Востока и Запада: глобализация и конкурентоспособность. Коллективная монография. – М.: ТЕИС, 2003. – С. 285–290.
- Лидин К.Л. Исчисление эмоций/К.Л. Лидин//Равновесные модели экономики и энергетики: Труды Всероссийской конференции и секции Математической экономики XIII Байкальской международной школы-семинара «Методы оптимизации и их приложения».– Иркутск: Изд-во ИСЭМ СО РАН, 2005. – С. 83–89
- Лидин К.Л. Психология имиджа. Монография. – Иркутск: РИЦ ИГУ, 2005.– 103 с.
- Marks L.E. & Arieh Y., 2006, Differential effects of stimulus context in sensory processing. European Review of Applied Psychology, 56, p. 213–221.
- Osgood Ch.E., Suci G., 1957, Tannenbaum, The Measurement of Meaning. University of Illinois Press.
- Osgood Ch.E. & Tzeng O. (eds), 1990, Language, Meaning, and Culture: The Selected Papers of Ch.E. Osgood. Praeger Publishers.
Publication order reference