Spirituality of Christian Mercy in Context of a Culture of Exclusion − The Poor
Languages of publication
The article raises a problem of the spirituality of Christian charity with a particular emphasis on poverty. Firstly, it focuses on the culture of exclusion and its many dimensions, drawing on the recent Polish studies. Following that it emphasises the foundations of Christian charity. Further, it goes on to presenting the ecclesial (Church and community based) dimension of the ministry of mercy and a number of both internal and external difficulties in the practical implementation of this idea in the specific conditions of daily life. The article concludes that exclusion is a particular area in life that calls for the ministry of charity towards the ones in need.
- Balthasar, Hans Urs von. The Christian and Anxiety. Translated by Dennis D. Martin and Michael J. Miller. San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 2000.
- Bartczuk, Rafał P. “Metodologia badań nad zasobami adaptacyjnymi.” In Skazani na wykluczenie. Zasoby adaptacyjne osób zagrożonych marginalizacją społeczną, edited by Mirosław Kalinowski and Iwona Niewiadomska, 39–65. Lublin: Wydawnictwo KUL, 2010.
- Bauman, Zygmunt. Postmodernity and Its Discontents. New York: New York University Press, 1997.
- Busingye, Rose. “The ‘Meeting Point’ in the Slums: A Presence Among Sick People and Outcast Youth.” In Walter L. Maffenini. Partnership Experiences Against Urban Poverty, 35-38. Milano: Franco Angeli, 2003.
- Cordes, Paul Josef, Where are the Helpers?: Charity and Spirituality, Notre Dame, Ind.: University of Notre Dame Press, 2010.
- Francis, Pope. “Apostolic Exhortation Evangelii Gaudium.” The Holy See. Francis. Apostolic Exhortations. Accessed 10 December 2016. https://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/apost_ exhortations/documents/papa-francesco_esortazione-ap_20131124_evangelii-gaudium.html.
- Francis, Pope. “Apostolic Letter Misericordia et Misera.” The Holy See. Francis. Apostolic Letters. Accessed 12 December 2016. https://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/apost_letters/ documents/ papa-francesco- lettera-ap_20161120_misericordia-et-misera.html.
- [John Paul II.] “Apostolic Voyage to Poland, Holy Mass and Beatifications: Zygmunt Szczęsny Feliński, Jan Balicki, Jan Beyzym, Sancja Szymkowiak. Homily of the Holy Father John Paul II, Błonie, Krakow, 18 August 2002.” The Holy See. John Paul II. Homilies. Accessed 7 December 2016. http://w2.vatican.va/content/ john-paul-ii/en/homilies/2002/documents/hf_jp-ii_hom_ 20020818_beatification-krakow.html .
- Kasper, Walter. Mercy: The Essence of the Gospel and the Key to Christian Life. Translated by William Madges. New York: Paulist Press, 2014.
- Ministry of labour and social policy, National Strategy of Social Integration for Poland, Warsaw 2003, p. 21. The National Strategy for Social Integration (NSIS) is a document prepared by the Task Force for Social Reintegration, chaired by the Minister of Economy, Labor and Social Policy, that was appointed on April 14, 2003 by the Prime Minister. Ministry of Family, Labour and Social Policy. Accessed 6 December 2016. www.mpips.gov.pl.
- Nouwen, Henri J.M. The Wounded Healer: Ministry in Contemporary Society. New York: Crown Publishing Group, 2013.
- Rybicki, Adam. Słudzy miłosierdzia. Duchowa formacja do posługi Caritas. Lublin: Wydawnictwo GAUDIUM, 2010.
Publication order reference