The Role of the Media in Upbringing Children of Pre-school Age
Languages of publication
This article is a voice in discussion related to the role of mass media in educating and upbringing children in pre-school age. Human being in current times is best described as homo mediorum, who more or less depends from digital media. Those behaviours and other media related addictions are being transmitted to children nearly from the very first day of their lives. What are the consequences of that? Unfortunately, most of the consequence are negative. Research shows there are difficulties with language acquisition, selective attention, correct development of cognitive functions and it may even lower the intelligence level. Summarising it is clear that electronic media do not support education. What about upbringing? Mass media generate difficulties in interpersonal relations, lead to aggression, lack of empathy and addictions. Conclusion? It is impossible to withdraw mass media from children lives but let us try to decrease their influence in the lives of the youngest children.
- Andrzejewska A. , Magic of a School Screen, Educational Epigram Sp. Z o o., Warsaw 2006,
- Brzozowska I., Sikorska I., Mass media influence on child’s cognitive development aged under three years old - research overview, [in:] Developmental Period Medicine, 2016; XX,1.
- Chwaszcz J., Pietruszka M., priest Sikorski D., Media , KUL. Press Lublin 2005.
- Gajda J., Media in education, Annexe Press „Impuls”, Kraków 2007.
- Izdebska J., Child in family at the XXI century, Trans Humana University Press, Białystok 2000.
- Izdebska J., Family, child and TV. Upbringing possibilities and dangers of TV, University Press, Białystok 1996.
- Nowakowski P., Fast food for brain or TV and its surroundings, Press Maternus Media, Tychy 2000.
- Olszówka E., TV watching habits in families having pre-school age children , Unpublished MA dissertation, Kraków, 2016.
- Robert DF, Foehr UG., Kids and Media in America., Cambridge, New York: Cambridge University Press, 2004 , for: I. Brzozowska, I. Sikorska, Mass media influence on child’s cognitive development aged under three years old - research overview, [in:] Developmental Period Medicine, 2016; XX,1.
- Romanowska D., Lis E., Children of tablet, Newsweek plus, nr 32/ 2015.
- Spitzer M., Cyber diseases. How cyber live ruins our health, Good Literature Press, Słupsk 2
- http:/kff.org./about-us/ [access: 20.XII. 2016 r, time 21.00]
Publication order reference