Psychological and linguistic means of forming “a soviet person” in the journal periodicals of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic
Languages of publication
The article deals with the psychological and linguistic methods of establishing a social life and the impact of the magazines on the public consciousness in the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic. Press provided concealed manipulation programming of the citizens’ behaviour. The whole society was imposed with the regulated values, moral imperatives and ideals via indoctrination, pressure and attack. Mass zombing was considerably played by “the new language” which implemented the basic notions of the totalitarian ideology. Transforming of citizens’ consciousness was possible by manipulating with their interests and desires. In this way the run of social processes was regulated. Russification, denationalization and destroying of national memory took place. Having no alternative a person was transformed into a system cog. Thus the aim of the article is to specify the influence of the journal periodicals in 1950- 1980s by psycho-linguistic means on forming the necessary concept of “a Soviet person”. The following methods were used: concrete historical and sociological press analysis, systematic and comparative analysis as well as generalization of contents and subjects of the magazines, analysis of political impact factors on magazines transformation as the mean of forming public consciousness, content analysis for stating the level of ideological partiality in the magazines and the frequency of usage of the ideological words in magazine texts and peculiarity of their combinability. Content analysis indicators are received by calculation on the sectional observation material. The basis of the empirical research is four public-political magazin “Ukrayina” (“Ukraine”), “Vitchyzna” (“Motherland”), “Zhovten’” (“October”), “Radyans’ka Zhinka” (“Soviet Woman”) and two children’s magazines “Barvinok” (“Periwinkle”) and “Malyatko”2 (“Baby”) of the 1950-1980s.
- BOIKO O. (2010), Political manipulation : teaching manual. K.: Academy edition. – 432 p.
- DENISOV P. (1998), Language of the Russian public thought at the end of the XIX – the beginning of the XXcenturies. – M. : MALP. – 185 p.
- DERYUGIN V. (2011), System of psychological impact methods. (n.d.), http://psychology.net.ru/articles/ content/1105305530.html (17.10.2014).
- FEDYK O. (2000), Language as spiritual adequate of world (reality). – Lviv : Missioner, 300 p.
- HERMAN I. Language and stylistical peculiarities of the periodical press of Zaporizhzha in 1920s: the mainways of improvement literature norms and styles. [in:] Electronic library of Institute of Journalism in KNU.n.d.), http://journlib.univ.kiev.ua/index.php?act=article&article=1052 (27.02.2016).
- KARA-MURZA S. Manipulation of consciousness. (n.d.), http://lib.meta.ua/book/13171 (14.09.2015).
- KOLISNYK Y. (2006) Disinfirmational Fuinction of USSR Press (International Aspect) /Yurij Kolisnyk // Heraldf Lviv State University. Journalism. – Lviv: Editorial office of Lviv State University. - Issue 28. p. 225-238.
- KOLISNYK Y. (2012) Magazines of Ukrainian Soviet Social Republic in Forming Public Consciousness (thesis).Kyiv, 452 p.
- KOLISNYK Y. (2010) Magazines of Ukrainian Soviet Social Republic as the Means of the Mass IdeologicalUpbringing /Yurij Kolisnyk // Journalism: a collection of works. – Kyiv: Institute of journalism of the TarasShevchenko KNU. - Issue 9 (34). p. 50-63.
- Materials of XXVII session of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, editor N. Gudkov. – Moscow : Politicaledition, 1986, 352 p.
- MOSKOVICHI S. (1998), Age of crowds : historical treatise on mass psychology; translated from French by T.Yemelyanova. – M. : Centre of psychology and psychiatry, 480 p.
- ORWELL G. 1984 : [novel-antiutopia] (n.d.), http://lib.ru/ORWELL/r1984.txt (01.01.2016).
- POTYATYNYK B. (1991), Totalitarian journalism : text of lectures. – Lviv : Editorial office of Lviv State University,80 p.
- Press [in:] Ukrainian encyclopedia : in 17 volumes / chief editorial board : M. Bazhan (editor-in-chief) [andothers]. – K. : Chief editorial office of The Ukrainian soviet encyclopedia, 1963, Volume 11, P. 470-471.
- ROBESPIER M. Speech on press freedom, made in Yacobian club, 11 May 1794 and repeated in Nationalmeating 22 August 1794. – M. : Edition of V. Sablin, 1906, 16 p.
- ROMANENKO A. (2002), Soviet verbal culture: domestiv history of its studying [in:] Questions of Linguistics.– Num. 6, P. 118-139.
- SUCHANEK L. (2001) Jurij Druznikov w poszukiwaniach aniołowie / Lucjan Suchanek // Drużnikow J. Aniołyna ostrzu igielnym / Jurij Drużnikow. – Krakow : Arcana. – S. 492–500.
- VOVK A. (2003), Political myth. [in:] Independent cultural magazine “I”. – 2003. – Part 30. – P. 42. (n.d.)http://www.ji.lviv.ua/ n30texts/vovk.htm (09.02.2015).
- ZUYEV K. (2005), Ideologization of a language in political, avangard and scientific texts at the beginning ofthe XX century : thesis applying for assistant professor’s degree : 10.02.01. – Stavropol. – 192 p
Publication order reference