Wołyń i obrazy.
Volyn and images
Languages of publication
In the article are discussed many views of Volyn – the land situated in the former borderland of Polish Commonwealth (so called Kresy, at present Ukraine) with its historical capital city in Lutsk. The first of these views were executed in 1781 by Jan Henryk Müntz, the following ones by such artists as Kazimierz Wojniakowski, Zygmunt Vogel or later by Napoleon Orda. A particular place in creating Volyn’s iconography takes one of the best renown Polish artists of the 19th century, a writer and a draughtsman Józef Ignacy Kraszewski. He lived there for many years and he often used to describe and draw monuments of this land, creating fictional and artistic Volyn landscapes, settled in the postulated by Kraszewski ‘cordial history’. Its main task was to evoke emotions, not only ‘picturesque’, but also patriotic and national emotions regarding political captivity in those times. Volyn seen from this perspective is the land filled with both bloody and heroic occurrences from the history of the former Polish Commonwealth, a colourful place, propitious for home version of genre art (images of ‘types’ of the local people, their customs and rites) and landscape painting – Polish version of realistic-impressionistic painting (Józef Chełmoński, Stanisław Masłowski, Leon Wyczółkowski and their many followers). History of ‘Volyn in images’, at least for Polish culture, ended with the Soviet army encroaching this area in September 1939, and the very Kresy became then an element of Polish national mythology, which derived literary and historical inspirations from the images of Volyn and the rest of Kresy alike until now.
- Jana Henryka Müntza podróże malownicze po Polsce i Ukrainie (1781-1783). Album ze zbiorów Gabinetu Rycin BUW opracowała Elżbieta Budzińska, Warszawa 1982
- Z. Rewski, Wojniakowski na Wołyniu wr. 1797 i 1798, „Znicz” 1936
- H. Dergaczowa, Zapomniana podróż Kazimierza Wojniakowskiego na Wołyń, „Przegląd Wschodni”, t. IV, z. 1(13)
- Leon Wyczółkowski. Listy i wspomnienia, opracowała Maria Twarowska, Wrocław 1960
- J. I. Kraszewski, Wieczory wołyńskie, Lwów 1859
Publication order reference