Pre-pregnancy BMI and intake of energy and calcium are associated with the vitamin D intake of pregnant Malaysian women
Languages of publication
- Ray JA, Meikle AW. D-light: vitamin D and good health. MLO Med Lab Obs 2010; 42(5): 32–38.
- Jensen CB, Petersen SB, Granström C, et al. Sources and determinants of vitamin D intake in Danish pregnant women. Nutrients 2012;4(12): 259–272, doi: 10.3390/nu4040259.
- Marjamäki L, Niinistö S, Kenward MG, et al. Maternal intake of vitamin D during pregnancy and risk of advanced beta cell autoimmunity and type 1 diabetes in offspring. Diabetologia 2010; 53(8): 1599–1607, doi: 10.1007/s00125-010-1734-8.
- Wei S-Q, Qi H-P, Luo Z-C, et al. Maternal vitamin D status and adverse pregnancy outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2013; 26(9): 889–899, doi: 10.3109/14767058.2013.765849.
- Baker AM, Haeri S, Camargo CA, et al. A nested case-control study of midgestation vitamin D deficiency and risk of severe preeclampsia.J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2010; 95(11): 5105–5109, doi: 10.1210/jc.2010-0996.
- Dror DK. Vitamin D status during pregnancy: maternal, fetal, and postnatal outcomes. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 2011; 23(6): 422–426,doi: 10.1097/GCO.0b013e32834cb791
- Durie DE, Thornburg LL, Glantz JC. Effect of second-trimester and third-trimester rate of gestational weight gain on maternal and neonatal outcomes. Obstet Gynecol 2011; 118(3): 569–575.
- Devereux G, Litonjua AA, Turner SW, et al. Maternal vitamin D intake during pregnancy and early childhood wheezing. Am J Clin Nutr 2007; 85(3): 853–859.
- McGowan C, Byrne J, Walsh J, et al. Insufficient vitamin D intakes among pregnant women. Eur J Clin Nutr 2011; 65(9): 1076–1078, doi:10.1038/ejcn.2011.110.
- Erkkola M, Kaila M, Nwaru BI, et al. Maternal vitamin D intake during pregnancy is inversely associated with asthma and allergic rhinitis in 5-year-old children. Clin Exp Allergy 2009; 39(6): 875–882, doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2222.2009.03234.x.
- Esmaillzadeh A, Samareh S, Azadbakht L. Dietary patterns among pregnant women in the west-north of Iran. Pakistan J Biol Sci PJBS 2008; 11(5): 793–796.
- Sabour H, Hossein-Nezhad A, Maghbooli Z, et al. Relationship between pregnancy outcomes and maternal vitamin D and calcium intake: a cross-sectional study. Gynecol Endocrinol 2006; 22(10): 585–589.
- Scholl TO, Chen X. Vitamin D intake during pregnancy: association with maternal characteristics and infant birth weight. Early Hum Dev 2009; 85(4): 231–234, doi: 10.1016/j.earlhumdev.2008.10.006.
- Arkkola T, Uusitalo U, Pietikainen M, et al. Dietary intake and use of dietary supplements in relation to demographic variables among pregnant Finnish women. Br J Nutr 2006; 96(5): 913–920.
- Camargo CA, Rifas-Shiman SL, Litonjua AA, et al. Maternal intake of vitamin D during pregnancy and risk of recurrent wheeze in children at 3 y of age. Am J Clin Nutr 2007; 85(3): 788–795.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture ARS. USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 27. Nutr Data Lab 2014; 5(1):2–11, doi: 10.13140/RG.2.1.3992.3443.
- Bukhary NBI, Isa ZM, Shamsuddin K, et al. Risk factors for antenatal hypovitaminosis D in an urban district in Malaysia. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2016; 16(1): 156, doi: 10.1186/s12884-016-0939-3.
- Hamid JJM, Rowan A, Fong B, et al. Maternal serum and breast milk vitamin D levels: findings from the Universiti Sains Malaysia Pregnancy Cohort Study. PLoS ONE 2014; 9(7): e100705, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0100705.
- Erkkola M, Karppinen M, Järvinen A, et al. Folate, vitamin D, and iron intakes are low among pregnant Finnish women. Eur J Clin Nutr 1998; 52(10): 742–748.
- McAree T, Jacobs B, Manickavasagar T, et al. Vitamin D deficiency in pregnancy – still a public health issue. Matern Child Nutr 2013;9(1): 23–30, doi: 10.1111/mcn.12014.
- Richard A, Rohrmann S, Quack Lötscher KC. Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency and its associations with skin color in pregnant women in the first trimester in a sample from Switzerland. Nutrients 2017; 9(3), doi: 10.3390/nu9030260.
- Chin KY, Ima-Nirwana S, Ibrahim S, et al. Vitamin D status in Malaysian men and its associated factors. Nutrients 2014; 6(12): 5419––5433.
- Khor GL, Chee WSS, Zalilah MS, et al. High prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency and its association with BMI-for-age among primary school children in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. BMC Public Health 2011; 11(1): 95, doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-11-95.
- Shafinaz IS, Moy FM. Vitamin D level and its association with adiposity among multi-ethnic adults in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: a cross sectional study. BMC Public Health 2016; 16: 232, doi: 10.1186/s12889-016-2924-1.
- Nowson CA, McGrath JJ, Ebeling PR, et al. Vitamin D and health in adults in Australia and New Zealand: a position statement. Med J Aust 2012; 196(11): 686–687.
- Sullivan LM. Essentials of biostatistics in public health. Sudbury (MA): Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Inc; 2008.
- Blalock SJ, Norton LL, Patel RA, et al. Development and assessment of a short instrument for assessing dietary intakes of calcium and vitamin D. J Am Pharm Assoc 2003; 43(6): 685–693.
- First Data Bank. Nutritionist Pro. San Bruno, CA 94066. 2005.
- Tee ES, Noor MI, Azudin MN, et al. Nutrient Composition of Malaysia foods. 4th ed. Kuala Lumpur: Institute of Medical Research, Ministry of Health, Malaysia; 1997.
- National Coordinating Committee on Food and Nutrition. Recommended nutrient intakes for Malaysia. A report of the technical working group on nutritional guidelines. Putrajaya: Ministry of Health Malaysia; 2005.
- Armstrong T, Bull F. Development of the World Health Organization Global Physical Activity Questionnaire (GPAQ). J Public Health 2006;14(2): 66–70, doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10389-006-0024-x.
- Institute of Medicine (US) Standing Committee on the Scientific Evaluation of Dietary Reference Intakes. Dietary Reference Intakes for calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, vitamin D, and fluoride. Washington (DC): National Academies Press; 1997.
- Specker B. Vitamin D requirements during pregnancy. Am J Clin Nutr 2004; 80(6 Suppl.): 1740S–1770S.
- Cashman KD, Hill TR, Lucey AJ, et al. Estimation of the dietary requirement for vitamin D in healthy adults. Am J Clin Nutr 2008; 88(6):1535–1542, doi: 10.3945/ajcn.2008.26594.
- Institute of Medicine (US) Committee to Review Dietary Reference intakes for Vitamin D and Calcium. Dietary reference intakes for calcium and vitamin D. Washington (DC): National Academies Press; 2011.
- Haugen M, Brantsaeter AL, Alexander J, et al. Dietary supplements contribute substantially to the total nutrient intake in pregnant
- Food and Nutrition Board Institute of Medicine. Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium and Vitamin D [Internet]. The National Academies Press 2011. Available from: http://www.nap.edu/catalog/13050/dietary-reference-intakes-for-calcium-and-vitamin-d.
- Mithal A, Wahl DA, Bonjour JP, et al. Global vitamin D status and determinants of hypovitaminosis D. Osteoporos Int 2009; 20(11):1807–1820, doi: 10.1007/s00198-009-0954-6.
- Moy FM, Bulgiba A. High prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency and its association with obesity and metabolic syndrome among Malay adults in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. BMC Public Health 2011; 11: 735, doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-11-735.
- Shiraishi M, Haruna M, Matsuzaki M, et al. Demographic and lifestyle factors associated with vitamin D status in pregnant Japanese women. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 2014; 60(6): 420–428, doi: 10.3177/jnsv.60.420.
- National Institute of Health and Nutrition. National Nutrition Survey in Japan. National Institute of Health and Nutrition; 2012. Available from URL: http://www.nibiohn.go.jp/eiken/english/research/project_nhns.html.
- Verbeke W, De Bourdeaudhuij I. Dietary behaviour of pregnant versus non-pregnant women. Appetite 2007; 48(1): 78–86
- Mirmiran P, Esmaillzadeh A, Azizi F. Dairy consumption and body mass index: an inverse relationship. Int J Obes (London) 2005; 29(1):115–121.
- Lahti-Koski M, Pietinen P, Heliövaara M, et al. Associations of body mass index and obesity with physical activity, food choices, alcohol intake, and smoking in the 1982–1997 FINRISK Studies. Am J Clin Nutr 2002; 75(5): 809–817
- Molarius A. The contribution of lifestyle factors to socioeconomic differences in obesity in men and women – a population-based study n Sweden. Eur J Epidemiol 2003; 18(3): 227–234.
- Bolland MJ, Grey AB, Ames RW, et al. The effects of seasonal variation of 25-hydroxyvitamin D and fat mass on a diagnosis of vitamin D sufficiency. Am J Clin Nutr 2007; 86(4): 959–964.
- Liu S, Song Y, Ford ES, et al. Dietary calcium, vitamin D, and the prevalence of metabolic syndrome in middle-aged and older U.S.women. Diabetes Care 2009; 28(12): 2926–2932.
- Skinner HG, Michaud DS, Giovannucci E, et al. Vitamin D intake and the risk for pancreatic cancer in two cohort studies. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2006; 15(9): 1688–1695.
- Merlino L, Curtis J, Mikuls T, et al. Vitamin D intake is inversely associated with rheumatoid arthritis: results from the Iowa Women’s Health Study. Arthritis Rheum 2004; 50(1): 72–77.
- Robien K, Cutler GJ, Lazovich D. Vitamin D intake and breast cancer risk in postmenopausal women: the Iowa Women’s Health Study.Cancer Causes Control 2007; 18(7): 775–782.
- Willett W, Stampfer MJ. Total energy intake: implications for epidemiologic analyses. Am J Epidemiol 1986; 124(1): 17–27.
- Ma Y, Olendzki BC, Pagoto SL, et al. Number of 24-hour diet recalls needed to estimate energy intake. Ann Epidemiol 2009; 19(8):553–559.
- Terry P, Hu FB, Hansen H, et al. Prospective study of major dietary patterns and colorectal cancer risk in women. Am J Epidemiol 2001;154(12): 1143–1149..
Publication order reference