Resilience planning as an opportunity for future sustainable development in tourism
Languages of publication
Sustainable development is a theoretical concept, but the possibility of implementing it depends on skills and practical solutions. One practical solution is interdisciplinary planning. The basic criterion for the success of interdisciplinary planning and improvements in its quality and efficiency is continuous expansion of knowledge related to its role, the methods, tasks and responsibilities involved and experience gained. This can be considered as a necessary step in the further evolution of interdisciplinary planning. Taking these aspects into account, it could be claimed that interdisciplinary has become a principal condition for the existence of good planning. The aim of this article is to indicate the need for new resilience planning techniques relevant to the implementation of sustainable development, which include, among other things, scenario planning. According to the authors, this concept requires a resilient approach to developing future strategies for more dynamic activities in regions attracting a high number of tourists. In the empirical part, a case study is presented. Based on an analysis of the Development Strategy for Tourism in the Wielkopolska Region until 2020, missing elements are identified from the point of view of sustainable development. Despite references to sustainable development, neither resilience planning nor scenario planning were used.
- Department of Geoecology of Tourism and Recreation, Poznań University of Physical Education, ul. Królowej Jadwigi 27/39, 61-871 Poznań, Poland
- Department of Tourism, Poznań University of Economics, al. Niepodległości 10, 61-875 Poznań, Poland
- BERKES F., ROSS H., Community resilience. Toward an integrated approach, Soc. Nat. Res., 2013, 26 (1), 5–20.
- BYRD E.T., Stakeholders in sustainable tourism development and their roles. Applying stakeholder theory to sustainable tourism development, Tourism Rev., 2007, 62 (2), 6–13.
- COCHRANE J., The sphere of tourism resilience, Tourism Recr. Res., 2010, 35 (2), 173–185.
- DAHLES H., SUSILOWATI T.P., Business resilience in times of growth and crisis, Ann. Tourism Res., 2015, 51, 34–50.
- DAVOUDI S., Resilience: A bridging concept or a dead end?, Plan. Theory Pract., 2012, 13 (2), 299–333.
- FABRY N., ZEGHINI S., Resilience, tourist destination and governance. An analytical framework, 2015, http://www.mondesendeveloppement.eu/medias/files/111684.pdf access?
- FAHEY L., RANDALL M., Learning from the Future. Competitive Foresight Scenarios, Wiley, New York 1998.
- FARRELL B.H., TWINING-WARD L., Reconceptualising tourism, Ann. Tourism Res., 2004, 31, 274–295.
- FOLKE C., Resilience. The emergence of a perspective for social-ecological systems analyses, Global Environ. Change, 2006, 16 (3), 253–267.
- HOLLING C.S., Resilience and stability of ecological systems, Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst., Ann. Rev. Ltd., 1973, 4, 1–23.
- KAROULIA S., GAKI E., KOSTOPOULOU S., Assessing regional tourism resilience. The case of Greece, Proc. European Regional Science Association, 2015, available at https://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/124787/1/ERSA2015_01260.pdf, access date: 08.20.2016.
- KOZŁOWSKI J., The role of planning in the context of sustainable development. Goals, tasks, responsibilities and processes. Towards an interdisciplinary approach, Probl. Rozw. Miast, 2009, 1–2, 9–38 (in Polish).
- MEINERT S., Field Manual. Scenario Building, Institute for Prospective Analyses (IPA), Berlin 2014.
- NOWACKI M., KOWALCZYK-ANIOŁ J., KRÓLIKOWSKA K., PSTROCKA-RAK M., AWEDYK M., Strategic planning for sustainable tourism development in Poland, Int. J. Sust. Deve. World Ecol., 2018, 25 (6), 562–567.
- NIEZGODA A., Area of Tourist Reception in Sustainable Development Conditions, Wydawnictwo Akademii Ekonomicznej w Poznaniu, Poznań 2006 (in Polish).
- NIEZGODA A., The role of environmental knowledge, attitudes and initiatives in the development of a tourism product, Tourism, 2011, 21 (1–2), 33–39.
- PIMM S.L., The complexity and stability of ecosystems, Nature, 1984, 307 (26), 321–326.
- PISANO U., Resilience and sustainable development. Theory of resilience, systems thinking and adaptive governance, ESDN Quarterly report No. 26, 2012, available at: http://www.sd-network.eu/quarterly%20 reports/report%20files/pdf/2012-September Resilience_and_Sustainable_Development.pdf, access date: 15.07.2016.
- RINGLAND G., Scenario Planning, Wiley, West Sussex 1998.
- SAFIN K., Foresight as a method of shaping the future. Identification of the potential and resources of Lower Silesia in the area of science and technology for the improvement of the quality of life, available at: http://www.qol.ue.wroc.pl/p/_/65/foresight_jako..._krzysztof_safin_m.pdf, access date: 20.07.2016 (in Polish).
- SCHWARTZ P., The Art of a Long View. Planning for the Future in an Uncertain World, Dubleday Dell Publishing Group, New York 1996.
- SCHWENKER B., TORSTEN W., Scenario-Based Strategic Planning. Developing Strategies in an Uncertain World, Springer Gabler, Munich 2013.
- Shell International, Scenarios. An Explorer’s Guide, Shell, London 2003, available at: https://www.kth.se/social/files/54e34a62f2765456cb68310e/explorers-guide.pdf, access date: 21.07.2016.
- SCHOEMAKER P. J. H., Scenario planning. A tool for strategic thinking, Sloan Manage. Rev., 1995, 37 (2), 25–40.
- TYRRELL T., JOHNSTON R., Tourism sustainability, resiliency and dynamics. Towards a more comprehensive perspective, Tourism Hosp. Res., 2008, 8 (1), 14–24.
- VAN DUIJNE F., Five key advantages of scenario planning, 2014, available at: http://futuristablog. com/five-advantages-scenario-planning/, access date: 22.07.2016.
- VAN DER HEIJDEN K., Scenarios. The Art of Strategic Conversation, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York 2005.
- Parks for life. Action for protected areas in Europe, The IUCN Comission for National Parks and Protected Areas, Gland 1994, [in:] D. Zaręba (Ed.), Ecotourism, Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN, Warsaw 2000, 34 (in Polish).
- Environmental Protection Law, art. 3. par. 50, Acts. U. No. 62, item. 627.
- Tourism Development Strategy of the Wielkopolska Region until 2020, https://bip.umww.pl/artykuly/2821342/pliki/20151214110411_projektstrategiirozwojuturystykiwwojwlkpdo2020roku.pdf, access date: 22.07.2016.
Publication order reference