BIBLIOTEKA OPACTWA CYSTERSÓW W MOGILE - KRAKOWIE W XVII WIEKU
THE CISTERCIAN ABBEY LIBRARY IN MOGIŁA-CRACOW IN THE XVII CENTURY
Languages of publication
The library of the Mogiła abbey is the most valuable monastic library in Poland. Over the centuries, thanks to the excellent education and bibliophylic passion of the Mogiła abbots, numerous incunabula and later works were gathered here, particularly works in the areas of religion, history and politics.From the XII to the XVII century the library was utilized as a scientific workshop for many scholars from Mogiła among whom were many lecturers in the Cracow Academy as well as scholars of international reputation, for instance, James from Paradyż. Inventory preserved from 1664 and 1668 reveal that the monastery library held less than one thousand works with the vast, majority by excellent authors and very precious, with the competence acquired by the cistercians, among them especially by John Taczel, Erazma Ciołek, Marcin Białobrzeski and Paul Piasecki. During the century as the consequence of natural disasters, wars and the collection passion of the clerical and secular dignitaries in the XVIII century, its collection was gravely reduced but still qualifies as one of the most significant and well-equipped monastic libraries in Poland.
Publication order reference