The structure and components of agility – a multi-perspective view
Languages of publication
Agility is a term that is widely used. However, a common understanding of what agility means and what it consists of is missing. Many frameworks have been developed for how to approach agility, but they are very heterogeneous regarding content and structure. This paper approaches the issue by conducting a systematic comparison of 28 available agility frameworks out of the domains of agile manufacturing, agile software development, agile organization, and agile workforce. Altogether, 33 concepts related to agility were identified. The results of the comparison show that, even within the specifically examined domains, a lack of consensus is obvious. In addition, the utilized concepts are very ambiguous and overlapping. As such, the interdependencies between the identified concepts were analyzed in detail. This revealed five recurring “clusters”, each of which combines several concepts with similar content, but despite the amount of available frameworks, none of them reflects these clusters directly. Hence, the study shows that factors beyond the construct of agility are not yet fully uncovered.
- Abrahamsson P., Conboy K., Wang X., Lots done, more to do: the current state of agile systems development research, “European Journal of Information Systems” 2009, 18(4), pp. 281-284.
- Agarwal A., Shankar R., Tiwari M.K., Modeling agility of supply chain, “Industrial Marketing Management” 2007, 36(4), pp. 443-457.
- Agerfalk P.J., Fitzgerald,B., Slaughter S., Introduction to the Special Issue-Flexible and Distributed Information Systems Development: State of the Art and Research Challenges, “Information Systems Research” 2009, 20(3), pp. 317-328.
- Beck K., Beedle M., van Bennekum A., Cockburn A., Cunningham W., Fowler M., Thomas D., Manifesto for Agile Software Development, “Retrieved”, July 30, 2012, from http://agilemanifesto.org/.
- Bernardes E.S., Hanna M.D., A theoretical review of flexibility, agility and responsiveness in the operations management literature: Toward a conceptual definition of customer responsiveness, “International Journal of Operations & Production Management” 2009, 29(1), pp. 30-53.
- Bottani E., Profile and enablers of agile companies: An empirical investigation, “International Journal of Production Economics” 2010, 125(2), pp. 251-261.
- Breu K., Hemingway C.J., Strathern M., Bridger D., Workforce agility: the new employee strategy for the knowledge economy, “Journal of Information Technology” 2001, 17(1), pp. 21-31.
- Chan F.K.Y., Thong J.Y.L., Acceptance of agile methodologies: A critical review and conceptual framework, “Decision Support Systems” 2009, 46(4), pp. 803-814.
- Charbonnier-Voirin A., The development and partial testing of the psychometric properties of a measurement scale of organizational agility, “M@n@gement” 2011, 14(2), pp. 120-155.
- Chow T., Cao D.-B., A survey study of critical success factors in agile software projects, “Journal of Systems and Software” 2008, 81(6), pp. 961-971.
- Cockburn A., Agile Software Development: The Cooperative Game, 2nd ed., Pearson Education, Boston 2007.
- Conboy K., Agility from first principles: Reconstructing the concept of agility in information systems development, “Information Systems Research” 2009, 20(3), pp. 329-354.
- Dove R., Knowledge management, response ability, and the agile enterprise, “Journal of Knowledge Management”1999, 3(1), pp. 18-35.
- Dove R., Response Ability: The Language, Structure, and Culture of the Agile Enterprise John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, New York 2001, p. 368.
- Eshlaghy A.T., Mashayekhi A.N., Rajabzadeh A., Razavian M.M., Applying path analysis method in defining effective factors in organisation agility, “International Journal of Production Research” 2010, 48(6), pp. 1765-1786.
- Förster K., Wendler R., Theorien und Konzepte zu Agilität in Organisationen, „Dresdner Beiträge zur Wirtschaftsinformatik“ 2012, Nr. 63/12.
- Ganguly A., Nilchiani R., Farr J.V., Evaluating agility in corporate enterprises, “International Journal of Production Economics” 2009, 118(2), pp. 410-423.
- Gephi, Gephi: The Open Graph Viz Platform, “Retrieved May” 2013, 10, https://gephi.org/.
- Goldman S.L., Nagel R.N., Preiss K., Agile Competitors and Virtual Organizations: Etrategies for Enriching the Customer, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York 1995.
- Gunasekaran A., Agile manufacturing: A framework for research and development, “International Journal of Production Economics” 1999, 62(1-2), pp. 87-105.
- Gunasekaran A., Yusuf Y.Y., Agile manufacturing: A taxonomy of strategic and technological imperatives, “International Journal of Production Research” 2002, 40(6), pp. 1357-1385.
- Highsmith J., Agile Software Development Ecosystems, Pearson Education, Boston 2002.
- Iacocca Institute, 21st Century Manufacturing Enterprise Strategy: An Industry-Led View, Iacocca Institute, Lehigh University, Bethlehem 1991.
- Kettunen P., Adopting key lessons from agile manufacturing to agile software product development — A comparative study, “Technovation” 2009, 29(6-7), pp. 408-422.
- Kisperska-Moron D., Swierczek A., The agile capabilities of Polish companies in the supply chain: An empirical study, “International Journal of Production Economics” 2009, 118(1), pp. 217-224.
- Lin C.-T., Chiu H., Tseng Y.-H., Agility evaluation using fuzzy logic, “International Journal of Production Economics” 2006, 101(2), pp. 353-368.
- Meredith S., Francis D., Journey towards agility: The agile wheel explored, “The TQM Magazine” 2000, 12(2), pp. 137-143.
- Misra S.C., Kumar V., Kumar U., Identifying some important success factors in adopting agile software development practices, “Journal of Systems and Software” 2009, 82(11), pp. 1869-1890.
- Parsons T., Bales R., Shils E., Working Papers of the Theory of Action, Free Press, Berlin 1953.
- Ren J., Yusuf Y.Y., Burns N.D., A prototype of measurement system for Agile enterprise, [in:] Proceedings of the 3rd. International Conference on Quality, Reliability and Maintenance, ed. G.J. McNulty, University of Oxford, Oxford 2000, pp. 247-251.
- Sarker S., Sarker S., Exploring Agility in Distributed Information Systems Development Teams: An Interpretive Study in an Offshoring Context, “Information Systems Research” 2009, 20(3), pp. 440-461.
- Sharifi H., Colquhoun G., Barclay I., Dann Z., Agile manufacturing: a management and operational framework, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B, “Journal of Engineering Manufacture” 2001, 215(6), pp. 857-869.
- Sharifi H., Zhang Z., A methodology for achieving agility in manufacturing organisations: An introduction, “International Journal of Production Economics” 1999, 62, pp. 7-22.
- Sherehiy B., Karwowski W., Layer J.K., A review of enterprise agility: Concepts, frameworks, and attributes, “International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics” 2007, 37(5), pp. 445-460.
- Simpson J.A., Weiner E.S.C., The Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd ed., Oxford University Press, Oxford 1989.
- Tallon P.P., Pinsonneault A., Competing perspectives on the link between strategic information technology alignment and organizational agility: Insights from a mediation model, “MIS Quarterly” 2011, 35(2), pp. 463-486.
- Tseng Y.-H., Lin C.-T., Enhancing enterprise agility by deploying agile drivers, capabilities and providers, “Information Sciences” 2011, 181(17), pp. 3693-3708.
- Tsourveloudis N.C., Valavanis K.P., On the measurement of enterprise agility, “Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems” 2002, 33, pp. 329-342.
- Vázquez-Bustelo D., Avella L., Fernández E., Agility drivers, enablers and outcomes: Empirical test of an integrated agile manufacturing model, “International Journal of Operations & Production Management” 2007, 27(12), pp. 1303-1332.
- Wendler R., Gräning A., How Agile Are You Thinking? – An Exploratory Case Study, [in:] Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Wirtschaftsinformatik, WI 2.011, Zurich 2011, pp. 818-827.
- Yusuf Y.Y., Sarhadi M., Gunasekaran A., Agile manufacturing: The drivers, concepts and attributes, “International Journal of Production Economics” 1999, 62, pp. 33-43.
- Zelbst P.J., Sower V.E., Green Jr. K.W., Abshire R.D., Radio Frequency Identification Technology Utilization and Organizational Agility, “Journal of Computer Information Systems” 2011, 52(1), pp. 24-33.
- Zhang Z., Sharifi H., Towards Theory Building in Agile Manufacturing Strategy − A Taxonomical Approach, “IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management” 2007, 54(2), pp. 351-370.
Publication order reference