Standards of Tuberculosis care: An Indian perspective
Languages of publication
Tuberculosis (TB) is a social disease with medical aspects accounting for 8.7 million new cases and 1.4 million deaths in the year 2011 worldwide. International standards for TB care (ISTC) were formulated to develop uniform guidelines for ensuring the delivery of a widely accepted level of care by all health care practitioners in managing TB patients, or those suspected to have tuberculosis. India alone has contributed 25% of the globally reported new cases of TB in 2011 and is also the leading nation in accounting for drug resistant TB (DR-TB). Thus to develop uniform standards of TB care and to engage private sector which caters to more than 70% of TB patients, the “central TB division” has developed standards of TB care in India (STCI). These local standards have been designed after taking into account the guidelines of the World Health Organization and ISTC disease control STCI has proposed 26 standards (viz. diagnosis – 1 to 6; treatment – 7 to 11; public health – 12 to 21; social inclusion – 22 to 26) for effective prevention and control of TB. To conclude, the Indian standards of TB care have been proposed to emphasize on individual patient care and public health principles of disease control for ultimately reducing not only the suffering but also the economic losses from tuberculosis.
- World Health Organization. Global Tuberculosis Control Report 2012. Geneva: WHO press; 2012.
- International Standards for TB Care. [Internet]. 2009 [cited 2013 Sep 16]. Available from: http://tbcindia.nic.in/pdfs/ISTC_Report_2ndEd_Nov2009.pdf
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. National family health survey (NFHS-3), 2005-06. [Internet]. 2006 [cited 2013 Sep 25]. Available from: http://www.measuredhs. com/pubs/pdf/ SR128/SR128.pdf
- Express Healthcare Bureau. First national standards of TB care (STCI) released. Express Healthcare. [Internet]. 2013 [cited 2013 Sep 5]. Available from: http://healthcare. Financial express.com/latest-updates/1925-first-national-standards-of-tb-care-stci-released
- TBC India. Managing the RNTCP in your area - A training course (Modules 1-4). [Internet]. 2013 [cited 2013 Sep 22]. Available from: http:// tbcindia.nic.in/documents.html
- TBC India. Managing the RNTCP in your area - A training course (Modules 5-9). [Internet]. 2013 [cited 2013 Sep 22]. Available from: http:// tbcindia.nic.in/documents.html
Publication order reference