Women Family Physicians: A Career in Academic Family Medicine – an example from Turkey
- Sidanius J, Pratto F. Social dominance theory: a new synthesis. In: Social dominance. New York: Cambridge University Press;1999: 31–57.
- Verlander G. Female physicians: balancing career and family. Acad Psychiatry 2004; 28: 331–336.
- Wright AL, Schwindt LA, Bassford TL. Gender differences in academic advancement: patterns, causes, and potential solutions in one US College of Medicine. Acad Med 2003; 78: 500–508.
- Heru AM. Pink-collar medicine: women and the future of medicine. Gender Issues 2005; 22(1): 20–34.
- European Commission. She Figures 2003: key data on women and science. (http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-03-1468_en.htm?locale=en). Accessed August 2, 2012.
- Lonely at the Top: Academic Medicine’s Women Leaders. AAMC Reporter: May 2011. (https://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporter/ may11/188562/lonely.html). Accessed August 2, 2012.
- Bain O, Cummings W. Academe’s glass ceiling: societal, professional, organizational, and institutional barriers to the career advancement ofacademic women. Comp Educ Rev 2000; 44(4): 493–514.
- Dhalla IA, Kwong J, Streiner DL, et al. Characteristics of first-year students in Canadian medical schools. CMAJ 2002; 166(8):1029–1035.
- De Koninck M, Bergeron P, Bourbonnais R. Women physicians in Quebec. Soc Sci Med 1997; 44: 1825–1832.
- Association of Canadian Medical Colleges. Canadian Medical Education Statistics. Vol 24. Ottawa: Association of Canadian Medical Colleges; 2002. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC128400/). Accessed August 12, 2012.
- Cujec B, Oancia T, Bohm C, et al. Career and parenting satisfaction among medical students, residents and physician teachers at a Canadian medical school. CMAJ 2000; 162: 637–640.
- Ward L. Female faculty in male-dominated fields: law, medicine, and engineering. New Direct Higher Educ 2008; 143. Doi:10.1002/he.314.
- Mofford JH. Women in the workplace: medicine. Women’s History Magazine [article online]. April 1996. (http://www.womenhistory.about.com/library/prm/blwomeninmedicine2.htm).
- Women in Medicine: A brief historical review (http://www.super-reps.com/excerpt_s2_a.php). Accessed August 2, 2012.
- Nonnemaker L. Women physicians in academic medicine: new insights from cohort studies. N Engl J Med 2000; 342: 399–405.
- Barzansky B, Jonas H, Etzel SI. Educational programs in US medical schools, 1999–2000. JAMA 2000; 284: 1114–1120.
- Beshiri PH. The woman doctor; her career in modern medicine. 1st ed. New York: Cowles; 1969.
- Alarcon GS, Amigo MC. The impact of women in the practice of academic and clinical rheumatology in the Americas.J Rheumatol 2000; 27: 1827–1829.
- DeAngelis CD. Women in academic medicine: new insights, same sad news. N Engl J Med 2000; 342: 426–427.
- Hamel MB, Ingelfinger JR, Phimister E, et al. Women in academic medicine-progress and challenges. N Engl J Med 2006;355(3): 310–312.
- Bickel J, Wara D, Atkinson BF, et al. Increasing women’s leadership in academic medicine. Report of the AAMC Project Implementation Committee. (http://www.sph.bu.edu/insider/images/stories/resources/Literature/Bickel_Increasing%20women’s%20 leadership%20in%20academic%20medicine.pdf). Accessed August 12, 2012.
- Brian SR. Women in medicine. Am Fam Physician 2001; 64(1): 174–178.
- Borges NJ, Navarro AM, Grover AC. Women physicians: choosing a career in academic medicine. Acad Med 2012; 87(1):105–114.
- Tesch BJ, Wood HM, Helwig AL, et al. Promotion of women physicians in academic medicine: glass ceiling or sticky floor? J Am Med Assoc 1995; 273: 1022–1025.
- Ash AS, Carr PL, Goldstein R, et al. Compensation and advancement of women in academic medicine: Is there equity? Ann Int Med 2004; 141(3): 205–212.
- Lyons AS. Medical history: women in medicine. (http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/6355/1/Medical-History--Women-in- Medicine.html). Accessed August 12, 2012.
- Harrison ME. Identity and experience: a study of selected female physicians in five provincial states of Mexico. Salud Publica de Mexico 2000; 42(3): 208–216.
- Frenk J, Chen L, Bhutta ZA, et al. Health professionals for a new century: transforming education to strengthen health systems in an interdependent world. Lancet 2010; 376(9756): 1923–1958.
- Midori S, Yumiko A, Shin’i U, et al. Female professors in Japanese medical schools: the present situation and an analysis of questionnaires.Med Educ (Japan) 2000; 31(2): 87–91.
- Ersoy N. History of women physicians in Turkey. [in Turkish]. (http://tip.kocaeli.edu.tr/.../Turkiyede_kadin_hekimin_tarihi).Accessed August 12, 2012.
- Oralalp F. Kamile Sevki Mutlu. Science and Technology 1995; 58–64 [in Turkish].
- Acar F. Women in academic science in careers in Turkey. Stolke-Heiskanen V, Acar F, Ananieva N, Gaudar D, eds. Women in science. Oxford: ISSC UNESCO, Berg Publishers; 1991.
- Turkish Medical Association Epidemiology (http://www.ttb.org.tr/kadinhekim/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50&Itemid=30). Accessed: July 5, 2012
- Cetinsaya G. (http://gundem.milliyet.com.tr/165-rektorden-dokuzu-kadin/gundem/gundemdetay/22.05.2012/1543416/default.htm). Accessed: July 5, 2012.
- Brown AJ, Swinyard W, Ogle J. Women in academic medicine: a report of focus groups and questionnaires with conjoint analysis.J Women’s Health (Larchmt) 2003; 12: 999–1008.
- Coles J, Barnard A, Howe A, et al. Gender equity mission of the Wonca working party for women and family medicine. Asia Pac Fam Med 2007; 6(1): 1–8.
- Chambers R, Campbell I. Gender differences in general practitioners at work. Br J Gen Pract 1996; 46: 291–293.
- Hojat M, Gonnella JS, Erdmann JB, et al. Primary care and non-primary care physicians: a longitudinal study of their similarities,differences, and correlates before, during, and after medical school. Acad Med 1995; 70(Suppl. 1): S17–S28.
- McMurray JE, Heiligers PJM, Shugerman RP, et al. Part-time medical practice: where is it headed? Am J Med 2005; 118(1):87–92.
- McMurray JE, Linzer M, Konrad TR, et al. The work lives of women physicians: results from the physician work life study. J Gen Intern Med 2000; 15(6): 372–380. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2000.im9908009.x
- Wallace AE, Weeks WB. Differences in income between male and female primary care physicians. J Am Med Wom Assoc 2002; 57(4): 180–184.
- Leonard JC, Ellsbury KE. Gender and interest in academic careers by first- and third-year residents. Acad Med 1996; 71:502–504.
- . Kalet AL, Fletcher KE, Ferdman DJ, et al. Defining, navigating, and negotiating success: the experience of mid-career Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholar women. J Gen Int Med 2006; 21: 920–925.
- Frank E, Hudgins P. Academic versus non-academic women physicians: data from the Women Physicians’ Health Study. Acad Med 1999; 74: 553–556.
- Ness RB, Ukoli F, Hunt S, et al. Salary equity among male and female internists in Pennsylvania. Ann Intern Med 2000; 133:104–110.
- . Elston MA. Women and medicine: the future. A report prepared on behalf of the Royal College of Physicians. University of London June, 2009. (http://www.learning.ox.ac.uk/media/global/wwwadminoxacuk/localsites/oxfordlearninginstitute/documents/.overview/women_and_medicine.pdf).
- Levinson W, Kaufman K, Bickel J. Part-time faculty in academic medicine: present status and future challenges. Ann Int Med 1993; 119: 220–225.
- Sonnert G, Holton G. Career patterns of women and men in the sciences. Am Scientist 1996; 84: 63–71.
- Robinson GE. Career satisfaction in female physicians. JAMA 2004; 291(5): 635.
- Carr PL, Ash AS, Friedman RH, et al. Relation of family responsibilities and gender to the productivity and career satisfaction of medical faculty. Ann Intern Med 1998; 129: 532–538.
- Frank E, Harvey L, Elon L. Family responsibilities and domestic activities of US women physicians. Arch Fam Med 2000; 9(2):134–140
- Chen FM, Feudtner C, Rhodes LA, et al. Role conflicts of physicians and their family members: rules but no rulebook. West
- Schrager S, Kolan A, Dottl SL. Is that your pager or mine: a survey of women academic family physicians in dual physician families. Wisconsin Med J 2007; 106(5): 251–255.
- Stewart DE, Ahmad F, Cheung AM, et al. Women physicians and stress. J Women’s Health Gend Based Med 2000; 9: 185–190.
- . Kletke PR, Marder WD, Silberger AB. The growing proportion of female physicians: implications for US physician supply. Am J Public Health 1990; 80: 257–280.
- Neittaanmäki L, Gross EB, Virjo I, et al. Personal values of male and female doctors: gender aspects. Soc Sci Med 1999; 48(4):559–568.
- Lewis-Stevenson S, Hueston WJ, Mainous III AG, et al. Female and underrepresented minority faculty in academic departments of FM: are women and minorities better off in family medicine? Fam Med 2001; 33(6): 459–465.
- STFM Database. Membership information; 2006.
- Levitt C, Candib L, Lent B, et al. Wonca Working Party on Women and Family Medicine. Working party seeks to enhance role of women family doctors in Wonca and health systems. Wonca News 2006; 32(3): 4–6.
- Levitt C, Candib L, Lent B, et al. Wonca Working Party on Women and Family Medicine. Women physicians and family medicine monograph/Literature review. Orlando: Florida; 2008. (http://www.womenandfamilymedicine.com/files/pdf-documents/wwpwfm_monograph_01-08-2008.pdf/wwpwfm_monograph_01-08-2008.pdf). Accessed August 27, 2012.
- McDonald M, Wainer J, Spike N. Towards best practice delivery: meeting the needs of female registrars within Victorian Metropolitan Alliance general practice training. Centre for Gender and Medicine, Monash Institute of Health Services Research,Monash University. Melbourne; 2006. (http://www.apfmj.com/content/9/1/2). Accessed August 27, 2012.
- Blickenstaff JC. Women and science careers: leaky pipeline or gender filter? Gender Educ 2005; 17(4): 369–386. (http://www.vtcite.com/~vtcite/system/files/blickenstaff-1.pdf) Accessed August 27, 2012.
- Committee on Maximizing the Potential of Women in Academic Science and Engineering. National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and Institute of Medicine of the National Academies. Beyond Bias and Barriers: fulfilling the potential of women in Academic Science and Engineering. Washington, D.C.: National Academies Press; 2007.
- Cydulka RK, D’Onofrio G, Schneider S, et al. Women in academic emergency medicine. Acad Emerg Med 2000; 7(9): 999––1007.
- Carr PL, Ash AS, Friedman RH, et al. Faculty perceptions of gender discrimination and sexual harassment in academic medicine.Ann Intern Med 2000; 132(11): 889–896.
- Candib L, Lent B, Levitt C. WONCA Working Party on Women and Family Medicine 2004 (http://www.womenandfamilymedicine.com/root/index.asp). Accessed August 14, 2006.
- Buckley L, Sanders K, Shih M, et al. Obstacles to promotion? Values of women faculty about career success and recognition.Acad Med 2000; 75: 653–660.
- Frank E, Brogan D, Schiffman M. Prevalence and correlates of harassment among US women physicians. Arch Intern Med 1998; 158: 352–358.
- Miedema B, MacIntyre L, Tatemichi S, et al. How the medical culture contributes to coworker-perpetrated harassment and abuse of family physicians. Ann Fam Med 2012; 10: 111–117. doi: 10.1370/afm.1341.
- Nora L, McLaughlin M, Fosson S, et al. Gender discrimination and sexual harassment in medical education: perspectives gained by a 14-school study. Acad Med 2002; 77(12 Pt 1): 1226–1234.
- Carnes M, Morrissey C, Geller SE. Women’s health and women’s leadership in academic medicine: hitting the same glass ceiling?J Womens Health (Larchmt) 2008; 17(9): 1453–1462. doi: 10.1089/jwh.2007.0688
- Klebanoff MA, Shiono PH, Rhoads GG. Outcomes of pregnancy in a national sample of resident physicians. N Engl J Med 1990; 323: 1040–1045.
- Klebanoff MA, Shiono PH, Rhoads GG. Spontaneous and induced abortion among resident physicians. JAMA 1991; 265:2821–2825.
- Gjerdingen DK, Chaloner KM, Vanderscoff JA. Family practice residents’ maternity leave experiences and benefits. Fam Med 1995; 27: 512–518.
- Abyad A, Khaled Al-Baho A, Unluoglu I, et al. Development of Family Medicine in the Middle East. Fam Med 2007; 39(10):736–741.
- Borges NJ, Navarro AM, Grover A, et al. How, when, and why do physicians choose careers in academic medicine? A literature review. Acad Med 2010; 85(4): 680–686.
- Coles J, Barnard A, Howe A, et al. Making the 2007–2010 action plan work for women in family medicine in the Asia Pacific.Asia Pacific Fam Med 2010; 9
Publication order reference