The Role of Knowledge in the Internationalization Process of Firms - a Review of Selected Research Literature
Languages of publication
Knowledge is the centerpiece in theories on firm's internationalization, however the understanding of how internationalization knowledge is acquired, retained, transformed and transferred has developed significantly over the past decades. This paper aims at presenting the results of selected literature review on diverse approaches to the role of knowledge in the process of internationalization of companies. Both the sequential perspective and the international new venture approach are taken into account. Significant differences in the way specific knowledge aspects are emphasized in each approach, as well as their role in the process of internationalization, are presented. A more holistic, knowledge-based conceptualization of internationalization, that integrates dominant, yet conflicting perspectives in the literature is called upon, aiming to facilitate future research progress in this area.
- Autio E., Sapienza H.J., Almeida J.G. (2000): Effects of Age at Entry, Knowledge Intensity, and Imitability on International Growth. "Academy of Management Journal", Vol. 43, No. 5.
- Blomstermo A., Eriksson K., Sharma D.D. (2004): Domestic Activity and Knowledge Development in the Internationalization Process of Firms. "Journal of International Entrepreneurship", No. 2.
- Brennan L., Garvey D. (2009): The Role of Knowledge in Internationalization. "Research in International Business and Finance", Vol. 23.
- Bruneel J., Yli-Renko H., Clarysse B. (2010): Learning from Experience and Learning from Others: How Congenital and Interorganizational Learning Substitute for Experiential Learning in Young Firm Internationalization. "Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal", No. 4.
- Casillas J.C., Moreno A.M., Acedo F.J., Gallego M.A., Ramos E. (2009): An Integrative Model of the Role of Knowledge in the Internationalization Process. "Journal of World Business", No. 44.
- Christensen P.R. and Jacobsen L. (1996): The Role of Export in New Business Formation. A paper presented at RENT X Conference on Entrepreneurship and SMEs, Brussels, Belgium.
- Ericsson K., Johanson J., Majkgard A., Sharma D.D. (1997): Experiential Knowledge and Cost in the Internationalization Process. "Journal of International Business Studies", Vol. 28, No. 2.
- Eriksson K., Johanson J., Majgard A., Sharma D.D. (2000): Effect of Variation on Knowledge Accumulation in the Internationalization Process, "International Studies of Management and Organization", Vol. 30, No. 1.
- Ericsson K., Chetty S. (2003): The Effects of Experience and Absorptive Capacity on Foreign Market Knowledge. "International Business Review", 12 (6).
- Fletcher M., Harris S. (2012): Knowledge Acquisition for the Internationalization of the Smaller Firm: Content and Sources. "International Business Review", No. 21.
- Forsgren M. (2002): The Concept of Learning in the Uppsala Internationalization Process Model: A Critical Review. "International Business Review", No. 11.
- Freeman S., Hutchings K., Lazaris M., Zyngier S. (2010): A Model of Rapid Knowledge Development: The Smaller Born-global Firm. "International Business Review", No. 19.
- Gorynia M., Jankowska B. (2007): Teorie internacjonalizacji. "Gospodarka Narodowa", nr 10.
- Huber G.P. (1991): Organizational Learning: The Contributing Processes and the Literatures. "Organization Science", Vol. 2, No. 1.
- Johanson J.,Vahlne J.E. (1977): The Mechanizm of Internationalisation. "Journal of International Business Studies", Vol. 8, No. 1.
- Johanson J.,Vahlne J.E. (2009): The Uppsala Internationalization Process Model Revisited: From Liability of Foreignness to Liability of Outsidership. "Journal of International Business Studies", Vol. 40, No. 9.
- Khavul S., Bruton G.D., Zheng C., Wood E. (2007): Learning During and After Internationalization by Entrepreneurial Firms from Emerging Economies. "Academy of Management Annual Meeting Proceedings".
- Mejri K., Umemoto K. (2010): Small and Medium-sized Enterprises Internationalization: Towards the Knowledge-based Model. "Journal of International Entrepreneurship", Vol. 8.
- Nonaka I., Takeuchi H. (1995): The Knowledge Creating Company. Oxford University Press, New York.
- Oviatt, B.M., McDougall P.P. (1994): Toward a Theory of International New Ventures, "Journal of International Business Studies", 25 (1).
- Petersen B., Pedersen T., Sharma T. (2001): The Role of Knowledge in Firm's Internationalization Process: Wherefrom and Whereto. LINK Working Paper, Copenhagen Business School, Copenhagen.
- Prashantham P. (2005): Toward a Knowledge-Based Conceptualization of Internationalization. "Journal of International Entrepreneurship", No. 3.
Publication order reference