SMART METERING AND DATA PRIVACY ISSUES
Languages of publication
Growing energy consumption enforces initiatives that look for alternatives aimed at better energy management and load balancing. Smart metering is a topic that meets these expectations and it seems to provide a value added for both, suppliers and customers. In this paper we focus on different issues of data and privacy protection for smart grids. In particular, we discuss security concerns related to system architecture, possible means of data protection and demonstrate the main research challenges in privacy assurance for smart grids.
- Acs G., Castelluccia C. (2011) I have a DREAM! (Differentially PrivatE smart Metering), Information Hiding Conference, May 18-20 2011. http://www.crysys.hu/~acs/publications/AcsC11ih.pdf [access on 03/10/2013]
- Bator M., Orłowski A., Ząbkowski T. (2012) Smart Metering – a brief overview of projects, benefits and applications, Information Systems in Management 1(1), 72-83.
- Department of Energy and Climate Change (2012) Smart Metering Implementation Programme, Data access and privacy, Government response to consultation, London http://www.decc.gov.uk/en/content/cms/consultations/cons_smip/cons_smip.aspx [access on 02/10/2013]
- Erkin Z., Tsudik G. (2012) Private computation of spatial and temporal power consumption with smart meters, International Conference on Applied Cryptography and Network Security June 26-29, 2012, Springer-Verlag, 561–577.
- Erkin Z., Troncoso-Pastoriza J., Lagendijk R., Perez-Gonzalez F. (2013) Privacy-preserving data aggregation in smart metering systems: An overview, Signal Processing Magazine, IEEE, 30(2), 75–86.
- European Smart Metering Alliance [ESMA] (2008) Definition of Smart Metering and Application and Identification of Benefits http://www.vtt.fi/inf/julkaisut/muut/2008/Definition_of_smart_metering_and_applications_and_identification_of_benefits.pdf [access on 30/09/2013]
- European Smart Metering Alliance [ESMA] (2010) Smart Metering Guide Energy Saving and the Customer, http://www.ecn.nl/docs/library/report/2011/o11004.pdf [access on 30/09/2013]
- EU Commission Staff Working Paper (2009) Interpretative Note on Directive 2009/72/EC Concerning Common Rules for the Internal Market in Electricity and Directive, Brussels, 22 January 2010. http://ec.europa.eu/energy/gas_electricity/interpretative_notes/doc/implementation_notes/2010_01_21_the_unbundling_regime.pdf [access on 30/09/2013]
- Garcia F.D., Jacobs B. (2010) Privacy-friendly energy-metering via homomorphic encryption, 6th Workshop on Security and Trust Management (STM 2010), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 6710, 226–238.
- Keemink S., Roos B. (2008) Security analysis of dutch smart metering systems. Technical report, Universitait van Amsterdam, July 2008. http://staff.science.uva.nl/~delaat/rp/2007-2008/p33/report.pdf [access on 05/10/2013]
Publication order reference