Niedoszacowanie ceny emisyjnej obligacji na rynku Catalyst
Underpricing of initial bond offerings: evidence from the Catalyst market
Languages of publication
The aim of this paper is to investigate the undepricing phenomenon of newly issued corporate bonds in the Polish market and its determinants. The study is composed of three parts. The study is based on a filtered sample of 142 corporate bonds issued between March 2010 and August 2013 and listed in Poland. The paper ends with conclusions and suggestions for further research. The study makes two crucial contributions to the relatively modest literature on initial bond offering mispricing: it attempts to verify whether the IBO mispricing is present also in the emerging markets and it tries to identify which factors influence the size of the mispricing.The performed analysis allows to confirm the existence of the uderpricing effect of newly issued bonds in the Polish market. However, it is not possible to indicate any specific factors which have particularly influenced the size of the underpricing.
- Allen F., Faulhaber G.R., 1989, Signaling by underpricing in the IPO market, “Journal of Financial Economics”, vol. 23, s. 303-323.
- Benveniste L.M., Busaba W., Wilhelm W.J., 2002, Information externalities and the role of underwriters in primary equity markets, Journal of Financial Intermediation, vol. 11, s. 61-86.
- Benveniste L.M., Spindt P.A., 1989, How investment banks determine the offer price and allocation of new issues, “Journal of Financial Economics”, vol. 24, s. 341-361.
- Booth J.R., Chua L., 1996, Ownership dispersion, costly information and IPO underpricing, “Journal of Financial Economics”, vol. 41, s. 291-310.
- Campbell J.Y., Lo A.W., MacKinlay A.C., 1996, The Econometrics of Financial Markets, Princeton University Press, USA.
- Carty L., 1996, Is there a Reputation Effect in the US Public Debt Market?, Columbia University working paper.
- Chemmanur T.J., Fulghieri P., 1994, Investment bank reputation, information production, and financial intermediation, “Journal of Finance”, vol. 49, s. 57-79.
- Chemmanur T.J., Paeglis I., 2005, Management quality, certification and initial public offerings, “Journal of Financial Economics”, vol. 76, s. 331-368.
- Datta S., Iskandar-Datta M., Patel A., 1997, The pricing of initial public offers of corporate straight debt, “Journal of Finance”, vol. 52, nr 1, s. 379-396.
- Diamond D.W., 1991, Monitoring and reputation – The choice between bank loans and directly placed debt, “Journal of Political Economy”, vol. 99, s. 689-721.
- Diamond D.W., 1989, Reputation acquisition in debt markets, “Journal of Political Economy”, vol. 97, s. 828-862.
- Ederington L.H., 1974, The yield spread on new issues of corporate bonds, “Journal of Finance”, vol. 29, s. 1531-1543.
- Ellul A., Pagano M., 2006, IPO underpricing and after-market liquidity, “The Review of Financial Studies”, vol. 19, nr 2, s. 381-421.
- Fama E., 1998, Market efficiency, long-term returns, and behavioral finance, “Journal of Financial Economics”, vol. 49, s. 283-306.
- Fenn G.W., 2000, Speed of issuance and the adequacy of disclosure in the 144a high-yield debt market, “Journal of Financial Economics”, vol. 56, s. 383-405.
- Fung W.K.H., Rudd A., 1986, Pricing new corporate bond issues: An analysis of issue cost and seasoning effects, “Journal of Finance”, vol. 3, s. 633-643.
- Gorton G., 1996, Reputation formation in early bank note markets, “Journal of Political Economy”, vol. 104, s. 346-397.
- Grinblatt M., Hwang C.Y., 1989, Signaling and the pricing of unseasoned new issues, “Journal of Finance”, vol. 44, s. 393-420.
- Helwege J., Kleiman P., 1998, The pricing of high-yield debt IPOs, “The Journal of Fixed Income”, vol. 8, s. 61-68.
- Hughes P.J., Thakor A.V., 1992, Litigation risk, intermediation risk and the underpricing of initial public offerings, “Review of Financial Studies”, vol. 4, 709-742.
- Jenkinson T., Ljungqvist A., 2001, Going Public: The Theory and Evidence on How Firms Raise Equity Finance, Oxford University Press, New York.
- Kelly N.C., Helwege J., Warga A., 2007, Underpricing in the corporate bond market, “Review of Financial Studies”, vol. 20, nr 6, s. 2021-2046.
- Kothari S., Warner J., 1997, Measuring long-horizon security price performance, “Journal of Financial Economics”, vol. 43, s. 301-339.
- Kothari S., Warner J., 2006, Econometrics of event studies, [w:] E. Eckbo (red.), Handbook of Empirical Corporate Finance, Elsevier-North-Holland, Amsterdam.
- Kozhanov I., Ogden J.P., 2012, The Pricing and Performance of New Corporate Bonds: Sorting Out Underpricing and Liquidity Effects, working paper.
- Kozhanov I., Ogden J.P., Vaghefi F., 2011, The Pricing and Performance of New Corporate Bonds: TRACE-Era Evidence, working paper.
- Lindvall J., 1977, New issue corporate bonds, seasoned market efficiency and yield spreads, “Journal of Finance”, vol. 32, s. 1057-1067.
- MacKinlay A.C., 1997, Event studies in economics and finance, “Journal of Economic Literature”, vol. 35, nr 1, s. 13-39.
- McKenzie C.R., Takaoka S., 2008, Mispricing in the Japanese Corporate Bond Market, working paper.
- Ritter J.R., 1998, Initial Public Offerings, Warren Gorham & Lamont Handbook of Modern Finance, USA.
- Rock K., 1986, Why new issues are underpriced, “Journal of Financial Economics”, vol. 15, s. 187-212.
- Sherman A.E., Titman S., 2002, Building the IPO order book: Underpricing and participation limits with costly information, “Journal of Financial Economics”, vol. 65, s. 3-29.
- Sorenson E.H., 1982, On the seasoning process of new bonds: Some are more seasoned than others, “Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis”, vol. 42, s. 195-208.
- Takaoka S., McKenzie C.R., 2006, The impact of bank entry in the Japanese corporate bond underwriting market, “Journal of Banking & Finance”, vol. 30, nr 1, s. 59-83.
- Wasserfallen W., Wydler D., 1988, Underpricing of newly issued bonds: Evidence from the Swiss capital market, “Journal of Finance”, vol. 43, s. 1177-1191.
- Weinstein M.I., 1978, The seasoning process of new corporate bond issues, “Journal of Finance”, vol. 33, s. 1343-1354.
- Welch I., 1989, Seasoned offerings, imitation costs, and the underpricing of IPOs, “Journal of Finance”, vol. 44, s. 421-449.
- Zaremba A., 2014, Underpricing of newly issued corporate bonds in CEE markets, “European Journal of Economics and Management”, vol. 1, nr 1, s. 6-16.
- Zaremba A., Kamiński K., 2011, IPOs – not so much money on the table. The cost compensation hypothesis, “Argumenta Oeconomica, vol. 1, nr 26, s. 149-175.
- Zaremba, A., Szyszka A., 2014, Is the Abnormal Post-IPO Underperformance Really Abnormal? The Evidence from CEE Emerging Markets, working paper, http://ssrn.com/abstract=2487926 lub http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2487926 [dostęp: 17.12.2014].
Publication order reference