Perceived social support and life-satisfaction
Languages of publication
The article concerns the relationship between life-satisfaction and the features of interpersonal relationships and social support. The research presented in this paper concerned the satisfaction with the relationships with family members, friends, colleagues and acquaintances, the extent of the relationships among these groups, and the perceived social support. The aim of the presented research is to assess the impact of these characteristics on life-satisfaction. In addition, the changes that occurred after the social skills training in the level of life-satisfaction and its determinants were examined. The study group consisted of 60 participants. The results show that the strongest determinants of life-satisfaction are practical support and the satisfaction with the relationships with friends. After the social training the structure of the determinants changed. The factors which were relevant before the training appear to be insignificant now; however, the emotional support, satisfaction with family relationships and the number of friends gain in importance. The social skills training was also effective and increased the level of life-satisfaction.
- Adler, A. (1939).The knowledge of life. Warszawa -Poznan - Kraków - Lwów: PTPK.
- Argyle, M. (2004).The Psychology of Happiness. Wrocław: Astrum
- Argyle, M. (1999). Causes and Correlate of Happiness. In: J. Czapiński (ed.)Positive Psychology. Warsaw: PWN.
- Baumeister, Leary, (1995). The Need to belong: Desire for interpersonal attachment as a fundamental human motivation.Psychological Bulletin, 117, 495-529.;
- Bowbly, J. (1969).Attachment and loss. Vol 1. Attachment. New York Basic Books.
- Carr, A. (2009).Positive Psychology. The Science of Happiness and Human Strength. Poznań: Zysk i S-ka.
- Czapiński, J. (2004). Psychological Theories of Happiness. In: J. Czapiński (ed.).Positive psychology. Warsaw: PWN.
- Czapiński, J. (2008).The Economy of Happiness and the Psychology of Affluency. The paper presented at the Polish Psychological Association Conference in Poznań, Poland.
- Haidt, J. (2007).The Happiness Hypothesis. Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom. Gdańsk: GWP
- Inglehart, R. (1990).Culture Shift In advanced industrial society. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Isacco, A., Garfield, C. F., Rogers, T. E., (2010). Correlates of coparental support among married and nonmarried fathers.Psychology of Men & Masculinity, Vol 11(4), pp. 262-278
- Juczyński Z. (1999). Measuring tools in health psychology.Psychological Review, 4, 43-56.
- Juczyński, Z. (2001).The tools of measurement in promoting and the health psychology. Warsaw: Pracownia Testów Psychologicznych PTP
- Juczyński Z. (2009, 2nd edition).Measuring tools in advertising health and health psychology. Warszawa: Pracownia Testów Psychologicznych PTP.
- Juczyński, Z. (w druku).Social Support Questionaire (F-SozU K-22) Fydrich i in. The Manual.
- Knoll, N. Schwarzer, R. (2004). "A friend in need…" social support, stress, illness and death. In: H. Sk, R. Cieślak (Ed.).Social support, stress and health. Warszawa: PWN
- La Guardia, J.G., Ryan, R.M., Couchman, C., & Deci, E.L. (2000). Withinperson variation In security of attachment: a self-determination theory perspective on attachment need fulfillment and well-being.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 79, 367-84.
- Lyubomirsky, S. (2007).The How of Happiness. Warszawa: MT Biznes
- Motl, R. W., McAuley, E. (2009). Pathways between physical activity and quality of life in adults with multiple sclerosis.Health Psychology, Vol 28(6), pp. 682-689
- Myers, D.G. (2004). Close Relationships and Quality of Life. In: D. Kahneman, E. Diener, N. Schwartz (Ed.).Well-Being: The Foundations of Hedonic Psychology. New York: Rusell Sage Foundation, 112 East 64 Street, NY 10021.
- Nezlek, J.B. (2000). The motivational and cognitive dynamics of day-to-day social life. W: JP Forgas, K. Wiliams, & L. Wheeler (Ed.).The Social Mind: Cognitive and Motivational Aspects of Interpersonal Behaviour, (s. 92-111)
- Nettle, D. (2005).Happiness. The science behind your smile.. Warszawa: Prószyński i s-ka.
- Reis, H.T., Sheldon, K.M., Gable, S.L., Roscoe, J., & Ryan, R.M. (2000). Daily well-being: The role of autonomy, competence, and relatedness.Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 26, 419-35.
- Ryan, M.R., & Decie, E.L. (2000). Self-Determination theory and facilitation of intrinsic motivation, social development, and wellbeing.American Psychology, 55, 68-78.
- Ryan, M.R., & Decie, E.L. (2001). On Happiness and Human Potentials: A review of Research on Hedonic and Eudaimonic Well-Being.Annual Review of Psychology., 52, 141-166.
- Ryff, C.D., Singer, B.H., Wing, E., & Love, G.D. (2001). Elective affinities and uninvited agonies: mapping emotion with significant others onto health. W: C.D. Ryff, B.H. Singer (Ed.).Emotion, Social Relationships and Health: Series in affective science. London: Oxford University Press (s. 133-175)
- Ryff, C.D., & Singer, B.H. (2000) Interpersonal Flourishing: a positive health agenda for the new millennium.Personality and Social Psychology Review, 4, 30-40.
- Seligmann, M.E.P. (2005).Authentic Happiness. Poznań: Media Rodzina.
- Sęk, H. (2003). Social support as the category of resources and ambiguous support functions. In: Z. Juczyński, N. Oginska-Bulik (red.)Personal and social resources advantageous to a person's health. Łódź: Wyd. UŁ
- Sęk, H., Cieślak. R. (2004). Social support - manners of defining, types, sources of support, chosen theoretical concepts. In: H. Sęk, R. Cieślak (red.).Social support, stress and health. Warszawa: PWN
- Simpson, J.A. (1990). Influence of Attachment Styles on Romantic Relationships.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 59, 971-80
- Sheldon, K.M., & Lyubomirsky, S. (2007). Permanent Increase of the Level of Happiness: Perspectives, Practice and Advice. W: P.L. Lindley, S. Joseph (ed.)Positive Psychology in Practice. Warszawa: PWN
- Social Diagnosis 2009.The conditions Quality of Life of Poles.(2009). Czapiński, J., Panek, T. (ed). Warsaw: The social monitoring board.http://www.diagnoza.com
- Sommer, G., Fydrich, T. (1989).Soziale Unterstützung, Diagnostik, Konzepte, Fragebogen F-SozU. [Social support, diagnosis, theory, F-SozU Inventory]. Tübringen: Deutsche Gesselschaft für Verhaltenstherapie.
- Uchino, B.N., Uno, D., & Holt-Lunstad, J. (1999). Social Support, Physiological Processes, and Health.Curr. Dir. Psychol. Science, 9, 145-148 www.stat.gov.pl/cps/rde/xbcr/gus/PUBL_gospodarstwa_domowe_i_rodziny.pdf pp.27-32 retrieved on 18.08.2010http://www.stat.gov.pl/cps/rde/xbcr/gus/PUBL_gospodarstwa_domowe_i_rodziny.pdf
Publication order reference