The Quality of deductive Reasoning in Inferring Words from Context: Comparison of the Performance of Standard and Talented 9–10 Year Old Pupils
Languages of publication
The primary intention of the presented paper is to contribute to the understanding of 1. what deductive-hypothetical reasoning is and 2. what deductive inference is, manifested in the ability to decode and learn words from context. The WCT - WORD CONTEXT TEST (D-KEFS; Delis, Kaplan & Kramer, 2001) was used for measuring the two dependent variables (level of hypothetical thinking and ability to infer the meaning of words from context). This test is a separate part of the Delis Kaplan Executive Function System test battery (D-KEFS; Delis, Kaplan & Kramer, 2001). On the basis of the results obtained in the process of the administration of the tool on a sample of 9–10 year-old pupils attending standard schools and pupils educated in classes for the gifted, we explore the level of hypothetical-deductive thinking in both groups of pupils. We use the obtained data to make the following analysis of the relationship between a pupil’s intelligence and: a) level of hypothetical reasoning; and b) level of ability to infer the meaning of words from context among standard pupils; analysis of differences in: a) level of hypothetical reasoning; and b) level of ability to infer the meaning of words in context between gifted pupils and standard pupils.
41 - 66
- Adams M.J., Beginning to Read: Thinking and Learning about Print, Cambridge: MIT Press 1990.
- Adler J.E., Rips L.J. (eds.), Reasoning: Studies of Human Inference and Its Foundations, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 2008.
- Ames W.S., The Development of a Classification Scheme of Contextual Aids, in “Reading Research Quarterly” 2 (1966), p. 57–82.
- Anderson R.C., Hiebert E.H., Scott J.A., Wilkinson I.A.G., Becoming a Nation of Readers: The Report of the Commission on Reading, Washington: National Academy of Education, Commission on Education and Public Policy 1985.
- Arbitman-Smith R., Haywood H.C., Cognitive Education for Learning-disabled Adolescents, in “Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology“ 8(1) (1980), p. 51–64.
- Delis D. C., Kaplan E., & Kramer J. H., 2001. Delis-Kaplan Executive Function System (D-KEFS). San Antonio: The Psychological Corporation.
- Evans J.St.B.T., Logic and Human Reasoning: an Assessment of the Deduction Paradigm, [in:] “Psychological Bulletin“ 128 (2002), p. 978– 996.
- Evans J.St.B.T., Hypothetical Thinking: Dual Processes in Reasoning and Judgement, Hove: Psychology Press 2007.
- Evans J. St.B.T., Newstead, S.E., Byrne, R.M.J., Human Reasoning, Hove: Erlbaum 1993.
- Feuerstein S. Feuerstein R., Mediated Learning Experience in Theory and in Everyday Life, Jerusalem: ICELP and Ashkelon Academic College 2008 (in Hebrew).
- Feuerstein R., A Dynamic Approach to Causation, Prevention, and Alleviation of Retarded Performance, in C. Haywood (Ed.), „Social-Cultural Aspects of Mental Retardation“, N.Y.: Appleton, Century, Crofts 1970.
- Francis H., Symposium: Reading Abilities and Disabilities, in “British Journal of Educational Psychology“ 47 (1977), p. 117–125. doi: 10.1111/j.2044-8279.1977. tb02336.x
- Fukkink R.G., Blok, H., de Glopper, K., Deriving Word Meaning from Context: A Multicomponential Skill, in “Language Learning“ 51 (2001), p. 477–496.
- Glaser R., Advances in Instructional psychology, Hillsdale: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates 1988.
- Goerss B.L., Beck I.L, McKeown M.G., The Development and Assessment of an Instructional Intervention to Influence the Process of Deriving Meaning from Context. Paper presented at the meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New Orleans, LA. (April 1994).
- Haywood H.C., A Cognitive Approach to the Education of Retarded Children, in „Peabody Journal of Education“ 54 (1977), p. 110–116.
- Haywood H.C., Theoretical Bases of Cognitive Education: Old and New Perspectives, in “Cognitive Education in South Africa“ 11(2) (2004), p. 3–8.
- Holyoak K.J., Morrison R.G. (eds.), Cambridge Handbook of Thinking and Reasoning, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 2005.
- Inhelder B., Piaget J., The Growth of Logical Thinking from Childhood to Adolescence, London: Routledge and Kegan Paul 1958.
- Johnson D., Bauman J., Word identification, in P.D. Pearson (Ed.), “Handbook of Reading Research“, New York: Longman1984.
- Johnson-Laird P.N., Deductive Reasoning, in “Annual Review of Psychology“ 50 (1999), p. 109–135.
- Kuhn M.R., Stahl S., Teaching Children to Learn Word Meanings from Context: A Synthesis and Some Questions, in “Journal of Literacy Research“ 30 (1998), p. 119–138.
- Kintsch W., How Readers Construct Situation Models: The Role of Syntactic Cues. Paper presented at the First Winter Text Conference, Jackson Hole, WY. (January 1990) Kozulin A., Profiles of Immigrant Students’ Cognitive Performance on Raven’s Progressive Matrices, in “Perceptual and Motor Skills“ 87 (1999), p. 1311–1314.
- Lawson A.E., Abraham M.R., Renner, J.W., A Theory of Instruction: Using the Learning Cycle to Teach Science Concepts and Thinking Skills, Manhattan 1989.
- Lawson A.E., Renner J.W., Relationships of Science Subject Matter and Developmental Levels of Learners, in “Journal of Research in Science Teaching“ 12(4) (1975), p. 347–358.
- Lawson A.E., Thompson L.D., Formal Reasoning Ability and Misconceptions Concerning Genetics and Natural Selection, in “Journal of Research and Science Teaching“ 25 (1988) p. 733–746. doi: 10.1002/tea.3660250904 Lawson A.E, Weser J., The Rejection of Nonscientific Beliefs About Life: Effects of Instruction and Reasoning Skills, in “Journal of Research in Science Teaching“ 27 (1990), p. 589–606.
- Lawson A.E., Drake N., Johnson J., Kwon Y., Scarpone C., How Good are Students at Testing Alternative Hypotheses Involving Unseen Entities?, in “The American Biology Teacher“ 62(4) (2000), p. 249–255.
- Lebeer J., Candeias A.A., Gracio L. (eds.), With a Different Glance. Dynamic Assessment and Functioning of Children Oriented at Development & Inclusive Learning. Antwerpen/Apeldoorn: Garant 2011.
- Machů E. Rozpoznavani a vzdělavani rozumově nadanych děti v běžne třidě zakladni školy, Brno: MSD 2006.
- Manktelow K., Reasoning and Thinking, Hove: Psychology Press 1999.
- Mason J., Herman P., Au K.H., Children’s Developing Knowledge of Words, in J. Flood, J.M. Jensen, D. Lapp, J.R. Squire (Eds.), “Handbook of research on teaching the English language arts“, New York: Macmillan Publishing Company 1991.
- Paour J.L., Soavi G., A Case Study in the Induction of Logic Structures, in H.C. Haywood, D. Tzuriel (Eds.), “Interactive assessment“, New York: Springer-Verlag 1992.
- Quealy R., Senior High School Students’ Use of Contextual Aids in Reading, in „Reading Research Quarterly“ 4 (1969) p. 512–533.
- Sawyer R.K., The Cambridge Handbook of the Learning Sciences, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 2006.
- Schechter J., Deductive Reasoning, in H. Pashler (Ed.), „The Encyclopedia of the Mind“, SAGE Publishing 2013. Available at <http://fmri.neuro.brown.edu/De partments Philosophy/onlinepapers/schechter/DeductiveReasoning.pdf>, accessed 22.3.2014
- Stanovich K.E., Matthew Effects in Reading: Some Consequences of Individual Differences in the Acquisition of Literacy, in “Reading Research Quarterly“ 21 (1986), p. 360–407.
- Sternberg R.J., Reasoning, Problem Solving, and Intelligence, in R.J. Sternberg (Ed.), “Handbook of Human Intelligence“, New York: Cambridge University Press 1982.
- Sternberg R.J., Cognitive Psychology, Orlando: Harcourt Brace College Publishers 1996.
- Tzuriel D., Dynamic Assessment is not Dynamic Testing, in “Issues in Education“ 7 (2001) p. 237–249.
- Van Daalen-Kapteijns M.M., Elshout-Mohr M., The Acquisition of Word Meanings as a Cognitive Learning Process, in “Journal of Verbal Learning and Verbal Behavior“ 20(4) (1981) p. 386–399.
- Vygotsky L.S., Mind in Society: The Development of Higher Psychological Processes, Cambridge: Harvard University Press 1978.
- Walker W.H., Kintsch W., Automatic and Strategic Aspects of Knowledge Retrieval, in “Cognitive Science“ 9 (1985), p. 261–283. doi: 10.1207/s15516709cog0902_3.
- Werner H., Kaplan E., The Acquisition of Word Meanings: a Developmental Study. Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development 1952.
- Wilson D., Conyers M., Thinking for Results: Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement by as Much as 30 Percent, Winter Park: BrainSMART 2006.
- Zimmerman C., Pretz J., The Interaction of Implicit Versus Explicit Processing and Problem Difficulty in a Scientific Discovery Task, in R. Proctor, J. Capaldi (Eds.), “The Psychology of Science: Implicit and Explicit Processes“, Oxford University Press 2012.
Publication order reference