Participatory budget in metropolies as instrument of direct democracy in public management: experience of Poland and Ukraine
Languages of publication
Objectives: In the article a comparative research of the participatory budgeting systems at the local level in Poland and Ukraine was carried out. Research Design & Methods: The objects of the study were ten cities of the specified states (five from each country). In the case studies, systemic analysis of legislations of Poland and Ukraine in public finance sphere connected with participatory budgeting were used as well as quantitative analyses of budget resources directed at supporting participatory budget. Using this approach gave us the opportunity for complex research of participatory budgeting mechanism in both countries. Findings: As a result of the research, the peculiarities (differences) of the practice of using participatory budgets as tools of direct democracy at the Ukrainian and Polish cities’ level were specified. On this basis, the authors outlined obstacles for the efficient use of participatory budgets based on the experience of the two countries, formulated guidelines and standards in compliance with which it would be possible to implement quality participatory budgeting into practices of the cities’ public administration. Implications / Recommendations: This article indicates the need to conduct analyzes of participatory budgets to draw conclusions and effectively use this tool in the future. Contribution / Value Added: This research builds knowledge about participatory budgeting by analysing the use of this instrument of direct democracy in two different countries (Poland and Ukraine), which are at different level of EU integration an may help effectively plan and implement participatory budgeting in different national contexts.
- Bartocci, L., Grossi, G., & Mauro, S.G. (2018). Towards a hybrid logic of participatory budgeting. International Journal of Public Sector Management. doi:10.1108/IJPSM-06-2017-0169.
- Cabannes, Y., & Lipietz, B. (2017). Revisiting the democratic promise of participatory budgeting in light of competing political, good governance and technocratic logics. Environment and Urbanization, 30(1), 67–84. doi:10.1177/0956247817746279.
- Dias, N. (2019). Hope for democracy – 25 years of participatory budgeting worldwide. http://www.in-loco.pt/upload_folder/edicoes/1279dd27-d1b1-40c9-ac77-c75f31f82ba2.pdf, accessed on 19.12.2019.
- Džinić, J., Svidroňová, M., & Markowska-Bzducha, E. (2016). ‘Participatory Budgeting: A Comparative Study of Croatia, Poland and Slovakia’. NISPAcee Journal of Public Administration and Policy, 9(1), 31–56.
- Gilman, H. (2016). Engaging Citizens: Participatory Budgeting and the Inclusive Governance Movement within the United States. Cambridge, MA: Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation, Harvard Kennedy School.
- Institute for Budget and Socio-Economic Research. (2019). Public project, https://www.ibser.org.ua/gromadskyy-proekt, accessed on 19.12.2019.
- Olech, A. (2012). Dyktat czy uczestnictwo? Diagnoza partycypacji publicznej w Polsce. Warszawa: Instytut Spraw Publicznych.
- Polish Act of 8 March 1990 on Commune Self-Government [Journal of Laws of 2019, item 506, as amended].
- Polish Act of 21 February 2014 on Village Council Fund [Journal of Laws of 2014, item 301].
- Polish Act of 27 August 2009 on Public Finance [Journal of Laws 2009, No, 157 item 1240, as amended].
- Polish Act of 24 April 2003 on Public Benefit Activities and Volunteering [Journal of Laws of 2003, No. 96, item 873].
- Shah, A. (2007). Participatory Budgeting: Public Sector Governance and Accountability Series. Washington, D.C.: The World Bank.
- Sintomer, Y., Herzberg, C., & Röcke, A. (2008). Partici patory budgeting in Europe: Potentials and challenges. International Journal Of Urban And Regional Research, 32(1), 164–178.
- Sobol, A. (2017). Participatory budgeting as a tool of local development. Economic Studies, ZN UE w Ka towicach, 316, 173–180.
- Sorychta-Wojszczyk, B. (2015). Conditions of use of civic budget in public administration in Poland. ZN Politechniki Śląskiej, Organizacja i Zarządzanie, 78, 422–427.
- Zestawienie ogólne. (n.d.). http://budzetyobywatelskie.pl/2016-zestawienie-ogolne/, accessed on 17.06.2018.
Publication order reference