Risks characteristic to Agile project management methodologies and responses to them
Selected contents from this journal
Languages of publication
Agile methods for project management are often treated as methods for mitigating risk. However, there is disagreement as to whether explicit methods of risk management should be used in projects which are executed according to Agile methodology or is the implicit risk management built into Agile methodologies sufficient. To contribute to the discussion, an attempt has been made to identify risks that are either caused by the introduction of an Agile methodology to a project or become more significant when such methodology is in use. If such risks exist, this would be evidence that explicit risk management is required, even in the case of Agile methodologies. The results of this research may be useful for any organization that is in the process of selecting a methodology for project management and is considering Agile methodologies.
- BECK K., ANDERES C., Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change, Addison-Wesley, Boston 2005.
- COYLE S., CONBOY K., A Case Study of Risk Management in Agile Systems Development, 17th European Conference on Information Systems, Verona, June 8–10, 2009.
- DEMARCO T., LISTER T., Waltzing with Bears: Managing Risk on Software Projects, Dorset House, New York 2003.
- HIGHSMITH J., Agile Project Management: Creating Innovative Products, 2nd Ed., Addison-Wesley, Boston 2009.
- HIJAZI H., KHDOUR T., ALARABEYYAT A., A Review of Risk Management in Different Software Development Methodologies, International Journal of Computer Applications, 2012, 45 (7), 8–12.
- KENDALL R., POST D., CARVER J., HENDERSON D.B., FISHER D., A Proposed Taxonomy for Software Development Risks for High-Performance Computing (HPC) Scientific/Engineering Applications, Technical Notes CMU/SEI-2006-TN-039, Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 2007.
- NELSON C.R., TARAN G., HINOJOSA L.L., Explicit Risk Management in Agile Process, [in:] Agile Processes in Software Engineering and Extreme Programming, P. Abrahamsson, R. Baskerville, K. Conboy, B. Fitzgerald, L. Morgan, X. Wang (Eds.), Springer-Verlag, Berlin 2008, 190–201.
- NYFJORD J., KAJKO-MATTSSON M., Commonalities in Risk Management and Agile Process Models, Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering Applications, IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos, California, 2007.
- RIBEIRO L., CRISTINE G., FEIJÓ W., BEZERRA V., A Case Study for the Implementation of an Agile Risk Management Process in Multiple Projects Environments, PICMET 2009 Proceedings, August 2–6, Portland, Oregon, USA.
- SCHWABER K., BEEDLE M., Agile Software Development with Scrum, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, 2002.
- SMITH P.G., PICHLER R., Agile Risks, Agile Rewards, Software Development, 2005, 13 (4), 50–53.
- WALCZAK W., Risk Management in Agile Project Management Methodologies, [in:] Modeling and Risk Preferences, T. Trzaskalik (Ed.), Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego w Katowicach, Katowice 2010, 241–256 (in Polish).
- ISO 31000:2009, Risk management. Principles and guidelines, International Organization for Standardization.
- Manifesto for Agile Software Development, <Agilemanifesto.org> accessed February 2013. Received 11 May 2013
Publication order reference