Sovereign Debt Restructurings in Belize: Debt Sustainability and Financial Stability Aspects
Languages of publication
This paper examines the causes, processes, and outcomes of the two Belize sovereign debt restructurings in 2006–07 and in 2012–13, which occurred outside an IMF-supported program. It finds that the motivation for the two debt restructurings differed, as the former was driven by external liquidity concerns while the latter was motivated by a substantial increase in the coupon rates and future fi scal solvency concerns. Despite differential treatment between residents and non-residents, both 2006–07 and 2012–13 debt exchanges were executed through collaborative engagement, due in part to the existence of a broad-based creditor committee and the authorities’ effective communication strategy. However, while providing temporary liquidity relief, neither of the debt restructurings properly addressed long-term debt sustainability concerns. Going forward, the success of the 2012–13 debt restructuring will still depend on the country’s ability to strengthen fi scal efforts and the public debt management framework.
- International Monetary Fund, U.S.A., email@example.com
- International Monetary Fund, U.S.A., firstname.lastname@example.org
- International Monetary Fund, U.S.A., email@example.com
- International Monetary Fund, U.S.A., firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ministry of Finance, Japan, email@example.com
- Asonuma, T. (2016) Serial Sovereign Defaults and Debt Restructurings. IMF Working Paper WP/16/66.
- Asonuma, T., Papaioannou, M.G., (2016), Domestic Sovereign Debt Restructurings: Process, Outcomes and Challenges. manuscript, IMF.
- Asonuma, T., Li, M.X., Papaioannou, M.G., Thomas, S., and Togo, E., (2017a), Sovereign Debt Restructurings in Grenada: Causes, Processes, Outcomes and Lessons Learned, forthcoming as IMF Working Paper.
- Asonuma, T., Niepelt, D., and Ranciere R., (2017b), Sovereign Bond Prices, Haircuts and Maturity, IMF Working Paper WP/17/119.
- Asonuma, T., and Trebesch, C. (2016) Sovereign Debt Restructurings: Preemptive or Post-Default. Journal of the European Economic Association, Vol. 14 (1), pp. 175–214.
- Belize, Ministry of Finance. (2006) Offering Memorandum, December 18, 2006.
- ––––––. (2012) Memorandum, November 29, 2012.
- ––––––. (2013a) Offering Memorandum, February 15, 2013.
- ––––––. (2013b) Press Release, March 20, 2013.
- ––––––. (2013c). Achieving Debt Sustainability, Stimulating Economic Expansion. Budget Presentation for Fiscal Year 2013/2014.
- Buchheit, L.C. (2009) Use of Creditor Committees in Sovereign Debt Workouts. Business Law International, Vol. 10, pp. 205–217.
- Buchheit, L.C. and Karpinski, E. (2007) Belize’s Innovations. Journal of International Banking and Financial Law. May 2007: pp. 278–280.
- Buchheit, L.C. and Pam, J.S. (2004) The Pari Passu Clause in Sovereign Debt Instruments. Emory Law Journal, Vol. 53, pp. 870–922.
- Catao, L.A.V., Fostel, A., and Kapur, S. (2009) Persistent Gaps and Default Traps. Journal of Development Economics, Vol. 89 (2). pp. 271–284. Central Bank of Belize. (2012) Economic and Financial Updates, June.
- ––––––. 2013, 2012 Annual Report and Statement of Accounts.
- Coordinating Committee of Belize. (2013) Press Release. February 19, 2013.
- Das, U., Papaioannou, M., and Trebesch, C. (2012). Sovereign Debt Restructurings 1950–2010: Literature Survey, Data and Stylized Facts,” IMF Working Paper, WP/12/203.
- Diaz-Cassou, J., Erce-Dominguez, A., and Vazquez-Zamora, J.J. (2008) Recent Episodes of Sovereign Debt Restructurings. A Case-Study Approach. Bank of Spain Working Paper, No. 0804.
- Duggar, E. (2013) The Role of Holdout Creditors and CACs in Sovereign Debt Restructurings. Moody’s Sovereign Default Series Compendium, October 7, 2013.
- Eichengreen, B., Hausmann, R., and Panizza, U. (2003) The Mystery of Original Sin. eds. by B. Eichengreen and R. Hausmann in Other People’s Money – Debt Denomination and Financial Instability in Emerging Market Economies, University of Chicago Press.
- Erce-Dominguez, A. (2013) Sovereign Debt Restructurings and the IMF: Implications for Future Official Interventions. Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper No. 143.
- ––––––. and Diaz-Cassou, J. (2010) Creditor Discrimination during Sovereign Debt Restructurings. Bank of Spain Working Paper, No. 1027.
- Finger, H., and Macagni, M. (2007) Sovereign Debt Restructurings and Debt Sustainability – An Analysis of Recent Cross-Country Experience. IMF Occasional Paper No.255.
- International Monetary Fund. (2002a) Belize: Staff Report for the 2002 Article IV Consultation. IMF Country Report No. 02/255.
- ––––––. (2002b) The Design and Effectiveness of Collective Action Clauses. International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC.
- ––––––. (2006a) Belize: Staff Report for the 2006 Article IV Consultation. IMF Country Report No. 06/360.
- ––––––. (2006b) Belize-Assessment Letter for the International Financial Community.
- ––––––. (2011) Belize: Staff Report for the 2011 Article IV Consultation. IMF Country Report No. 11/340.
- ––––––. (2013a) Sovereign Debt Restructuring: Recent Developments and Implications for the Fund’s Legal and Policy Framework. IMF Board Paper, April.
- ––––––. (2013b) Belize: Staff Report for the 2013 Article IV Consultation. IMF Country Report No. 13/227.
- Jahan, S. (2013) Experiences with Sovereign Debt Restructuring: Case Studies from the OECS/ECCU and Beyond. in Schipke, A., Cebotari, A., and N. Thacker, eds. “The Eastern Caribbean Economic and Currency Union: Macroeconomic and Financial System,” International Monetary Fund (Washington, DC).
- Panizza, U., Sturzenegger, F., and Zettelmeyer, J. (2009) The Economics and Law of Sovereign Debt and Default. Journal of Economic Literature, Vol. 47, pp. 651–698.
- Reinhart, C., Rogoff, K., and Savastano, M. (2003) Debt Intolerance. Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Vol. 1, Spring 2003, pp. 1–74.
- Reinhart, C.M., and Rogoff, K.S. (2005) Serial Default and the “Paradox” of Rich-to-Poor Capital Flows. The American Economic Review, Vol. 94 (2), pp. 53–58.
- ––––––. (2009) This Time is Different – Eight Centuries of Folly, Princeton University Press.
- Robinson, M. (2010) Debt Restructuring Initiatives Paper. paper prepared for the Commonwealth Secretariat. Standard & Poor’s. (2005) Research Update: Belize Long-term Ratings Lowered, Outlook Negative. Ratings Direct. April 2005.
- ––––––. (2013). Ratings on Belize Raised to ‘B-/B’ on Expected Completion of Debt Exchange; Outlook Stable; Bonds Due in 2038 Rated ‘B-’”, RatingsDirect. March 2013.
- Sturzenegger, F., and Zettelmeyer, J. (2006) Debt Defaults and Lessons from a Decade of Crises, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Sturzenegger, F., and Zettelmeyer, J. (2008) Haircuts: Estimating Investor Losses in Sovereign Debt Restructurings, 1998–2005. Journal of International Money and Finance, Vol. 27 (5), pp. 780–805.
- Tomz, M., and Wright, M.L.J. (2013). Empirical Research on Sovereign Debt and Default. Annual Review of Economics, Vol. 5, pp. 247–272.
Publication order reference