Cloud computing services - status and trends
Languages of publication
Cloud computing services gained in popularity in recent years. Cloud computing, the relatively new information technology discipline, has its roots in older technologies. The paper provides classification and a review of essential services being offered currently by a variety of vendors. Elastic-R environment for cloud enabled scientific calculation is described. Contents of certification under development in computer networks technologies, security, and cloud computing with laboratory exercises are provided.
- Ph.D. Associate Professor of Engineering at The Pennsylvania State University, Pennsylvania, USA. Dr. A. Gapinski received his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas, USA in 1988. He obtained his Master Degree in Electronics, Institute of Technical Cybernetics, Wroclaw University of Technology, Wroclaw, Poland in 1978. His research interests are in control & system theory, information science and technology, manufacturing processes and pedagogy. He has over 50 refereed publications in journals and various conference proceedings. He consults for industrial and manufacturing firms in the area of industrial control and manufacturing processes.
- Buyya R., et al., Cloud Computing and Emerging IT Platforms: Vision, Hype, and Reality for Delivering Computing as the 5th Utility, „Future Generation Computer Systems” 2009, Vol. 25, No. 6, s. 599-616.
- Carranza A., DeCusatis C., Cybersecurity education using Open source Software and Academic/Industry Partnership, 13th LACCEI Annual International Conference Engineering Education Facing the Grand Challenges, What Are We Doing?, July 29-31, 2015, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, conference proceedings.
- Chine K., Open Science in the Cloud: Towards a Universal Platform for Scientific and Statistical Computing [in:] B. Furht, A. Escalante (eds.), Handbook of Cloud Computing, Springer Science+Business Media, 2010, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-6524-0_19.
- Daconta M., Containers Add New Efficiency to Cloud Computing, 2013, October 23, www.informationweek.com.
- Foster I., What is the grid? A three point checklist, „Grid Today” 2002, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 22-25.
- Gapinski A., A Note on LAN, ATM Technologies, and Priority Queuing, [in:] Proceedings of International Conference on Industry, Engineering & Management Systems, Cocoa Beach, 2003, pp. 515-519.
- Gapinski A., A Note on Teaching Cisco Routers, [in:] Proceedings of IEMS'2005, Cocoa Beach 2005, pp. 137-141.
- Gapinski A., Cloud Computing: Information Security Standards, Compliance and Attestation, 13th LACCEI Annual International Conference Engineering Education Facing the Grand Challenges, What Are We Doing?, July 29-31, 2015, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, conference proceedings, http://dx.doi.org/10.18687/LACCEI2015.1.1.065.
- Gapinski A., Strategies for Computer Networks' Security, „Kwartalnik Nauk o Przedsiebiorstwie” 2014, nr 3(32), s. 59-65.
- Gartner's Top 10 Strategic Technology Trends for 2015, Gartner, 2015 http://www.gartner.com/smarterwithgartner/gartners-top-10-strategic-technology-trends-for-2015/.
- Hardy Q., Cloud Computing Fight Intensifies, „The New York Times” 2016, February 29, p. B5.
- Jin H., et al., Cloud Types and Services, [in:] B. Furht, A. Escalante (eds.), Handbook of Cloud Computing, Springer Science+Business Media, 2010, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-6524-0_19.
- Kapko M., Google for Works vs. Microsoft Office 365: A comparison of cloud tools, 2015, March 26, www.cio.com.
- Kauffman L.M., Data Security in the World of Cloud Computing, „IEEE Computer Society” 2009, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 61-64, http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/MSP.2009.87.
- King I., Networks. Cisco tries to make a Different Switch, „Bloomberg Business Week” 2015, November 9, Special Issue, pp. 46-48.
- Kizza J.M., Computer Communications and Network, 2nd ed., Springer, 2013.
- NIST Cloud Computing Program, Information Technology Laboratory, http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/SNS/cloud-computing/.
- O'Mahony J., The Road To Cloud Maturity, „Bloomberg BusinessWeek” 2015, September 28, pp. S3-S11.
- R: A language and environment for statistical computing, R Development Core Team, R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna 2009, http://www.R-project.org.
- Schou C., Shoemaker D., Information Assurance for the Enterprise. A Roadmap to Information Security, McGraw-Hill, New York 2007.
- Seitz P., Amazon, Microsoft Tighten Grip On Cloud Market, „Investor's Business Daily” 2015, November 13.
- Solomon M.G., Chapple M., Information Security Illuminated, Jones & Bartlett Publishers, Sudbary 2005.
- Top IT Trends & Predictions in 2016, Gartner, http://www.gartner.com/technology/topics/trends.jsp.
- Weidman G., Penetration testing: A Hands-On Introduction to Hacking, 2nd edition, No Starch Press, San Francisco 2014.
Publication order reference