WIDMO EKONOMICZNEJ KATASTROFY CZY STRACH PRZED KOMUNIZMEM? MOTYWY PLANU MARSHALLA W ŚWIETLE AMERYKAŃSKICH DOKUMENTÓW1
THE SPECTER OF ECONOMIC DISASTER OR FEAR OF COMMUNISM? THEMES OF THE MARSHALL PLAN IN THE LIGHT OF AMERICAN DOCUMENTS
Languages of publication
The European Recovery Program was one of the most creative and inspired acts in modern American diplomacy. The article discusses the sequence of events prior to an-nouncement of the Plan at Harvard University within the aim of providing arguments on the significance of economic and political factors of the Marshall Plan. The starting point was set in early 1947 when G. C. Marshall took the office of the Secretary of State. Then the Moscow conference and subsequent radio speech by Marshall is described. The text also comments on D. Acheson’s speech in Delta Council, Cleveland and deals with the Policy Planning Staff established by Marshall soon after his arrival from Moscow con-ference. The central part of the article is devoted to the report of the Policy Planning Staff (May 1947) and the alarmist memorandum prepared by William Clayton. In the final paragraph, the Marshall Plan speech of June, 5th is analysed in respect of its importance in both economic and political circumstances.
- Acheson D., 1969, Present at the Creation: My Years in the State Department, New York.
- Bohlen C.E., 1973, Witness to History, New York.
- Dulles J.F., 1957, War or Peace, New York.
- Ehrlich L.G., 1972, Ambassador in the Yard, „Southern Speech Communication Jour-nal”, no. 38. DOI: 10.1080/10417947209372166
- Gimbel J., 1976, The Origins of the Marshall Plan, Stanford.
- Herhberg J., 1993, James. B. Conant: Harvard to Hiroshima and the Making of the Nuclear Age, Stanford.
- Jones J., 1955, The Fifteen Weeks (February 21–June 5, 1947), New York.
- Kennan G.F., 1967, Memoirs (1925–1950), Boston.
- Kowalski K., 2014, Plan Marshalla: uwarunkowania i skutki gospodarczo-polityczne, Łódź.
- Mazur Z., 2001, Europejskie organizacje gospodarcze, Rzeszów.
- Price H.B., 1955, The Marshall Plan and its Meaning. An Independent and Unbiased Appraisal of the Entire Record, New York.
- Sakwa R., 1999, The Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 1917–1991, London.
- Salient Features of the World Economic Situation, 1945–47, 1948, New York.
- The Department of State Bulletin, vol. XVI, no. 411, 1947, Washington.
- Truman H., 1956, Years of Trial and Hope. Memoirs of Harry S. Truman, Garden City.
- Yergin D., 1977, Shattered Peace. The Origins of the Cold War and the National Securi-ty State, Boston.
- Zyblikiewicz Z., 1984, Polityka Stanów Zjednoczonych wobec Polski 1944–1949, War-szawa.
Publication order reference