Eco-Efficiency in Creating the Ecological Safety
Rola eko-wydajności w zakresie kształtowania bezpieczeństwa ekologicznego
Languages of publication
The issue of eco-efficiency is associated with actions aimed at increasing the productivity of raw materials, natural resources and energy savings in production and at the same time offering environmentally friendly products and services. This kind of action is beneficial to businesses and the environment, as well as the society. By reducing the pressure on the environment, caused by production processes, consumption and investment, it is possible to reduce impact of anthropological risks and simultaneously ensuring ecological safety. This article addresses the explanation of the possible connection of eco-efficiency and ecological safety. Considerations include the issue of terminology, as well as key elements of both concepts. The main thesis is: creating solutions for ecoefficiency is associated with ecological safety.
- Al-mulali U., Weng-Wai C., Sheau-Ting L., Mohammed A.H. (2015), “Investigating the environmental Kuznets curve (EKC) hypothesis by utilizing the ecological footprint as an indicator of environmental degradation”, “Ecological Indicators”, vol. 48, pp. 315-323.
- Bartniczak B. (2011), Harmful state aid – attempt to designate methods of identification, “Oeconomia Copernicana”, vol. 2, pp. 5-22.
- Bartniczak B. (2014), State aid for biofuels in Poland, “Economic and Environmental Studies”, vol. 14 no. 14, pp. 441-452.
- Central Statistical Office of Poland, Labour productivity in industry, http://old.stat.gov.pl/gus/definicje_PLK_HTML.htm?id=POJ-1066.html [05.02.2015].
- Central Statistical Office of Poland (2013a), Consumption of fuel and energy medium in 2012, Warsaw.
- Central Statistical Office of Poland (2013b), Environment, Warsaw.
- Chen J., Song M., Xu L. (2015), Evaluation of environmental efficiency in China using data envelopment analysis, “Ecological indicators”, vol. 52, pp. 577-583.
- Cygan A. (2004), Environmental determinants of economic activity, in: Introduction to economics, ed. Dach, Wydawnictwo Akademii Ekonomicznej w Krakowie, Cracow.
- Edwards C. (2010), Time to lead by example [reindustrialisation through green technologies], “Engineering and Technology”, vol. 5 no. 12, pp. 66-69.
- European Central Bank (2010), Beyond ROE – How to measure bank performance. Appendix to the report on EU banking structures, Frankfurt am Main, http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/other/beyondroehowtomeasurebankperformance201009en.pdf [15.02.2015].
- Górka K. (2010), Terminological issues pertaining to the evolution of environmental policy, in: The development of environmental policy in the European Union and Poland, eds. Famielec J., Kożuch M., Cracow University of Economics, Cracow.
- Graham M. (2004), Environmental efficiency: meaning and measurement ana application to Australian dairy farms, Presented at the 48th Annual AARES Conference, Melbourne, Victoria, February 2004, http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstream/58450/2/2004_graham.pdf [ 07.03.2015].
- Griffin R.W. (2004), The fundamentals of organizations management, PWN, Warsaw.
- Huppes G., Ishikawa M. (2005), Eco-efficiency and its terminology, ”Journal of Industrial Ecology”, vol. 9 no. 4, pp. 43-47.
- Iribarren D., Marvuglia M., Hild P., Guiton M., Popovici E., Benetto E. (2015), Life cycle assessment and data envelopment analysis approach for the selection of building components according to their environmental impact efficiency: a case study for external walls, “Cleaner Production”, vol. 87, pp. 707-716.
- Jeżowski P. (2007), The category of sustainable development in economic sciences, in: The economic problems of environmental protection and sustainable development in the twenty-first century, ed. Jeżowski P., Warsaw School of Economics, Warsaw.
- Kożuch M. (2010), The role of the government in environmental protection subsidizing, “Social inequality and economic growth. Economic and social cohesion and modernization of the economy”, vol. 16, pp. 412-422.
- Lee D.R., Clark J.R. (2013), Market failure, government solutions, and moral perceptions, “CATO Journal”, vol. 33 no. 2, pp. 287-297.
- Levidow L., Lindgaard-Jørgensen P., Nilsson Å., Alongi Skenhall S., Assimacopoulos D. (2014), Eco efficiency improvements in industrial water-service systems: assessing options with stakeholders, “Water Science & Technology”, vol. 69 no. 10, pp. 2113-2121.
- Lozano S., Irribaren D., Moreira M.T., Feijoo G., Environmental impact efficiency in mussel cultivation, “Resources, Conservation and Recycling”, vol. 54 no. 12, pp. 1269-1277.
- Matczak P. (2000), Environmental problems as social problems, Wydawnictwo Naukowe UAM.
- Möller A., Schaltegger S., The sustainability balanced scorecard as a framework for eco-efficiency analysis, “Journal of Industrial Ecology”, vol. 9 no 4, pp. 73-84.
- OECD (2001), Measuring productivity. OECD Manual. Measurement of aggregate and industry level productivity growth, Paris.
- OECD (2008), Labour productivity indicators. Comparison of two OECD databases productivity differentials & the Balassa- Samuelson effects, Paris.
- Platje J. (2014), Minimizing redundancies and ways to deal with trade-offs in decision making within integrated management systems, “Central and Eastern European Journal of Management and Economics”, vol. 2 no. 2, pp. 121- 139.
- Przybytniowski J.W. (2014), Risk of natural catastrophes and ecological safety of a state, “Polish Journal of Environmental Studies”, vol. 23 no. 3, pp. 1025-1031.
- Ptak M. (2014), Incentives to promote the development of renewable energy in Poland, “Economic and Environmental Studies”, vol. 14 no. 4, pp. 427-439.
- Reinhard S., Knox Lovell C.A., Thijssen G. (1999), Econometric estimation of technical and environmental efficiency: an application to Dutch fairy farms, “American Journal of Agricultural Economics”, vol. 81 no. 1, pp. 44-60.
- Report of the World Commission on Environment and Development: Our Common Future, http://www.un-documents.net/our-common-future.pdf [26.02.2015].
- Rockström J., Steffen W., Noone K, Persson Å ., F. Chapin S. III, Lambin E., Lenton T.M., Scheffer M., Folke C., Schellnhuber H.J., Nykvist B., de Wit C.A., Hughes T., van der Leeuw S., Rodhe H., Sörlin S., Snyder P.K.,
- Costanza R., Svedin U., Falkenmark M., Karlberg L., Corell R.W., Fabry V. J., Hansen J., Walker B., Liverman D.,Richardson K., Crutzen P., Foley J.(2009), Planetary boundaries: exploring the safe operating space for humanity, “Ecology and Society”, vol. 14 no. 2, art. 32.
- Surówka A. (2012), Ecological safety and waste management in the light of constitutional law, “Overview of constitutional law”, vol. 4, pp. 151-166.
- Song M., Peng J., Liu W., An Q. (2014), A PSMB model for environmental efficiency evaluation and its application, “Polish Journal of Environmental Studies”, vol. 23 no. 3, pp. 893-900.
- Szyja P. (2014), Economic and social dimension of environmental security in Poland, in: The problems of agriculture and food economy in the first decade of the Polish in the European Union, eds. Czyżewski A., Klepacki B., PTE, Warsaw, pp. 420-440.
- Szyja P. (2014), Role of friendly solutions for the environment in the process of industrial restructuring, “The Studies of the Industrial Geography Commission of the Polish Geographical Society”, vol. 27, pp. 219-236. UNCTAD (2004), A manual for the preparers and users of eco-efficiency indicators, UNESCO, New York, Geneva.
- Von Weizsäcker E., Hargroves K. Ch., Smith M.H., Desha Ch., Stasinopoulos P. (2009), Factor five. Transforming the global economy through 80% improvements in resource productivity, Earthscan, London.
- Will M., Haidig J., Platje J. (2015), Dysfunctional leadership – management in the CSR-case, “Central and Eastern European Journal of Management and Economics”, vol. 3 no. 2, pp. 155-160.
- Żylicz T. (2014), Price of nature, Wydawnictwo Ekonomia i Środowisko, Białystok.
Publication order reference
2353 - 9119