Determinanty napływu bezpośrednich inwestycji zagranicznych do wybranych krajów bałkańskich
Determinants of FDI to Chosen Countries of the Balkans
Languages of publication
The article presents a summary of contemporary trends in Foreign Direct Investment, with a particular focus on conclusions arising thereof for chosen Balkan states. Its aim is to identify the main factors influencing the creation of “a positive investment climate” in host countries trying to attract greater FDI, which, when accompanied by proper economic policy, will transform local economies and enable their full integration within the European Union. The article starts with a short definition of FDI, followed by a description of the main factors influencing the choice of where to locate investments, including geography, the socio-political situation, legal and tax related issues. Theoretical considerations are concluded with a case study presenting the findings of preliminary analysis conducted by the author for a company headquartered in Cracow and operating on the IT sector concerning the market expansion into the Balkan Region. This case study examines the pros and cons of a region striving to attract more FDI, and presents the following two main findings: – the chosen Balkan states (Albania, Montenegro and the FYR of Macedonia) have significantly liberalised procedures resulting in a very short period needed for establishing a company as well as eased tax regulations on their territories, which are main incentives for foreign investors; – the short history of socio-economic stability in the region is, for the time being, the main obstacle to attracting greater FDI to the region.
- Banach J. , Polskie umowy o unikaniu podwójnego opodatkowania, wyd. 2, C.H. Beck, Warszawa.
- Doing Business in Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro , Raporty Banku Światowego.
- Drucker P.F. , Zarządzanie w XXI wieku, Muza, Warszawa.
- Budnikowski A, Kawecka-Wyrzykowska E. , Międzynarodowe stosunki gospodarcze, PWE, Warszawa.
- Dickens P. , Global Shift: Transforming the World Economy, Paul Chapman, Londyn.
- Flores R.G, Aguilera R.V. [2007), Globalization and Location Analysis of US Multinational Firms in 1980 and 2000, University of Illinois, Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 8, No. 7.
- Kukliński A. , Gospodarka oparta na wiedzy – wyzwanie dla Polski XXI wieku, KBN, Warszawa.
- World Economic Outlook Database , IMF, April.
- World Investment Report , United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, Transnational Corporations, Agricultural Production and Development.
Publication order reference