Radom, woj. mazowieckie. Badania w roku 2010
Radom, the Mazowieckie Voivodeship. Excavations in 2010
Languages of publication
The settlement complex in Radom has a surface of 50 ha. It consists of a stronghold, four settlements and two inhumation cemeteries. It is situated in the centre of the city, in the valley of the River Mleczna (a tributary of the River Radomka). The complex is dated to the period from the late 10th c. to the turn of the 13th and 14th c. It originated on the base of tribal settlement from the 8th c. or the late 9th c. It is believed that it was founded by the first Piasts as one of the centres of the rising Polish state. The complex has been examined since the 19th c. until present. Archaeological works in 1959-1971 were of considerable significance for learning about its history. Recent excavations were caused by a development project which implies an organisation of a park with archaeological and ethnographic landscaped elements. In 2010 the Institute of Archaeology of the University of Warsaw examined part of the yard of the stronghold (Site 1) and part of one settlement at the stronghold (Site 2). No traces of human activity from the early Middle Ages, such as remains of a church dedicated to St Peter (which is known from written sources) or residential and household buildings, were found in the stronghold. only small sherds of pottery from the 11th— 13th c. were discovered. On the other hand, a dozen or so inhumation graves were revealed. These belonged to a large urban cemetery from the 18th— 19th c. Three metal finds belonging to grave furnishings were found in the graves: two small crosses (one with remains of cloth, and the other with a worn out image of Crucified Christ and the Mother of God) and a ring on the finger of a skeleton of an adult person. Burials discovered in 2010 are the next discoveries of that kind, with similar ones being known from previous unpublished excavations. No traces of land use in the early Middle Ages were found in the settlement. All that was discovered were present day layers and natural soil holes. Impressive remains of exis- tence of this settlement in the early Middle Ages are known from places which were examined in 1959—1971.
Publication order reference