Podróż do wnętrza miasta. Pierwsze wrażenia Franciszka Krzywdy-Polkowskiego z pobytu w mieście „drapaczów nieba.
A journey to the centre of a city. Franciszek Krzywda- Polkowski’s first impressions of his sojourn in the city of ‘sky scrapers’.
Languages of publication
In January 1925 on the pages of the Cracow journal ‘Architekt’ an article by Franciszek Krzywda-Polkowski was published. In the text entitled Impressions of the sojourn in the country of ‘sky scrapers’ the author described his memories from New York, where he started to work in 1924 for the architects office McKim, Mead & White. Special attention should be paid to the initial description of the very first moments spent in the city. The modern way of perceiving the city space, fully performed by Franciszek Krzywda-Polkowski in the quoted fragments, is characte- rised by abandoning the panoramic (static) perspective, typical for realistic poetics, for the benefit of the pedestrian’s perspective, which is determined by movement, changes of view points and removing the distance to the experienced space. Attractiveness of Franciszek Krzywda-Polkowski’s text, which undoubtedly comes as a new quality in Polish writing about architecture, derives from a few coinciding elements: an up-to-date topic, which New York was at that time and the discussion on acceptable heights of buildings in a city; the author’s writing skills, his courage in applying modern form of narration; also the character of his stay in New York – he was a traveler who, glancing ‘from the outside’, is able to notice the every-day life of the place where we happen to be in a more penetrating way.
- Franciszek Krzywda-Polkowski, Wrażenia z pobytu w kraju drapaczów nieba, „Architekt” 20
- Agnieszka Taborska, Okruchy amerykańskie, Warszawa 2006,
- Michael Herzfeld, Antropologia. Praktykowanie teorii w kulturze i społeczeństwie, [Kraków 2004]
- Tadeusz Tołwiński, Miasto amerykańskie, „Arkady” 5 (1939)
- Michel de Certeau, The Practise of Everyday Life, [w:] The Blackwell City Reader, red. Gay Bridge i Sophie Watson, Malden 2002
- Le Corbusier, La catastrophe féerique, „L’Architecture d’Aujourd’hui” 9 (1938)
Publication order reference