EXECUTIVE FUNCTIONS & LEARNING DISABILITIES – CORRELATIONS IN DIAGNOSTICS AND PREVENTION OF FASD
Languages of publication
This study is based on an unauthorized translation of Diagnostic Guide for Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders: The 4-Digit Diagnostic Code, Third Edition, 2004 written by Susan J. Astley, Professor of Epidemiology. The research further includes additional scholarly sources, studies conducted by authors of this article as well as their own research in Centre for Diagnostics, Therapy and Prevention of FAS. Our purpose was to explore selected correlations between executive functions and writing and reading tests in selected target groups (elementary school students between the age of 9 and 11). The research project partially corresponds to diagnostics criteria for selected domains “executive functions” and “learning disabilities” in the original Guide - The 4-Digit Diagnostic Code. An outcome of this study, which was conducted within the project Context of Selected Diagnoses in Students with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Spectrum and Students’ Inclusion in Selected Daycares and Elementary Schools, reveals positive correlations between selected domains and a significance in FASD prevention within Slovakia.
- Astley, S. J. (2004). Diagnostic Guide for FASD. Diagnostic Guide for Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders: The 4-Digit Diagnostic Code. Third Edition.
- Caravolas M., Mikulajova M., Varyova B., Vencelova L., (2012). Reading, Spelling and Dyslexia. Unknown Publisher.
- Church, M. W., Kaltenbach, J. A. (1997). Hearing, Speech, Language, and Vestibular Disorders in the Fetal Alcohol Syndrome of Coherence in an Adult with Fluent Aphasia'. Aphasiology, 17, 2, 173-182.
- Chylová, M., Slavkovská, M. (2014). Possibilities of Neuropsychological Diagnostics and Cognitive Training of Psychic Functions of a Psychiatric Patient. Psychiatria pre prax, 15, 2, 55-58.
- Klimovič, M. (2014). Executive Functions and Text Comprehension in Primary Education: from Research to Stimulation. Acta Paedagogicae Presoves – Nova Sandes. Annus Ix. Prešov: PF PU..
- Krchníková, M. (2009). Executive Functions (diploma thesis), Olomouc: Univerzita Palackého.
- Liptáková, Ľ., Klimovič, M. (2015). Stimulation of Executive Functions of a Pupil Through the Processes of Text Comprehension. About a Child, Language and Literature. O dieťati, jazyku, literatúre, 3(2), 9-27.
- Nikolai, T., Štěpánková, H., Bezdíček, O. (2014). Neuropsychological Diagnostics of a Mild Cognitive Impairment and a Dementia Syndrome. Medicine for Practice, 11(6), 274-277.
- Okálová, O., Jablonský, T. (2017). FASD Diagnostics in the Practice of Special Education in Slovakia. Pedagogická Revue, 48-72.
- Schweigerová, K. (2014). Executive Functions and Academic Procrastination (bachelor thesis), Košice: Univerzita Pavla Jozefa Šafárika.
- Stratton, K., Howe, C., Battaglia, F. (1996). Fetal Alcohol Syndrome: Diagnosis, Epidemiology, Prevention, and Treatment. Washington: National Academy Press.
- Vestibular Disorders in the Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. A Literature Review. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 21, 495-512.
Publication order reference