Hylzenowie w Gdańsku. Szkic do dziejów elit dawnego województwa inflanckiego
The Hylzen family in Gdansk: the outline of the history of the elites of the old Livonian province (voivodeship)
Languages of publication
The Hylzens, connected with the Duchy of Livonia, became members of the political elite of the Polish-Lithuanian state in the mid-18th century. Owning extensive lands in so-called Polish Livonia and in the north of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, in the times of Johan August Hylzen (from 1754 the governor of Minsk) they acquired estates in Pomerania near Gdansk and in Gdansk. In the years 1730–1738 Johan August held the emphyteusis of “Polanka Quellbrun” belonging to the abbey of Oliwa; in 1752 he leased another estate which was part of the abbey – “Konnertshammer” (“Konradshammer”). From 1757 (1756?) he also leased a property located in Nowe Ogrody of Gdansk, which was recorded in the Gdansk land register under the name of his wife Konstancja née Plater (died in 1795) as a hereditary property (in 1767 after Johan August’s death) after he had received the Prussian ius indigenatus in 1766 shortly before his death. After the rocky period of the Bar Confederation, the palace situated here served as a shelter for Konstancja and her sons – Józef Jerzy and Justynian Gracjan. At the turn of 1756 and 1757 Johan August with his wife acquired the starosty of Parchowow, which they lost in 1772. All the estates situated in Gdansk and Pomerania were passed to Tadeusz Mostowski by the last of the Polish-Livonian Hylzens – Idzi (about 1769–1800) and his wife Marie née Brzostowska on the strength of the agreements concluded in 1797. Johan August was interested in maintaining contacts with Pomerania and deposited large sums of money of Gdansk banks. Unfortunately, it has not been established yet what his plans concerning this economically developed region were.
Publication order reference