"Rocznik Orientalistyczny" as the Journal of Polish Oriental Society 1919–1952
The article is devoted to the early history of “Rocznik Orientalistyczny”, the oldest Polish journal in the field of Oriental Studies. It was founded by a group of Polish scholars: Andrzej Gawroński, Jan Grzegorzewski, Władysław Kotwicz, Jan Rozwadowski and Tadeusz Kowalski. The first volume was published in 1915, but only the second one was attributed to the Polish Oriental Society, founded in 1923. The first seat of the editorial office was Lwów (until 1949), the second – Cracow (utill 1953), and from 1953 (until now) – Warsaw. The Polish Oriental Society was the editor of RO until 1953 (17 volumes). Since that year it has been edited by the Polish Academy of Sciences, currently by the Committee for Oriental Studies.
Publication order reference