Current trends in the emotional and social aspects of the school readiness research
Languages of publication
The school readiness issues have been being in the focus of interests of the educators for years. The number of approaches, tendencies and dimensions of the school readiness indicates how comprehensive and complex this topic is. The analysis of the contemporary research directions based on the papers available in academic databases let arrange them into a few categories. They are all presented in the article with the aim to get the current perspective of the problem, especially in the social and emotional context. Some authors try to determine the list of the detailed aspects of emotional and social skills important to begin school education. The other approach presents the new school readiness tools. There is also a line that evaluates the early emotional support effect on school readiness. The next trend is formed by statistical meta-analyses on the correlation between the age of the school start and pupils achievements. The two new directions are related to the school readiness profiles and the idea to include the executive functions into school readiness assessment as an important aspect of pupils' emotional and social achievements. The results coming from those six directions help the educators to increase the early education care.
- Abenavoli R., Greenberg M., Bierman K. (2017). Identification and validation of school readiness profiles among high-risk kindergartners. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 38, 33-43.
- Baptista J., Osorio A., Martins E., Verissimo M., Martins C. (2016). Does social-behavioural adjustment mediate the relation between executive function and academic readiness? Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 46, 22-30.
- Bee, Helen; Boyd, Denise (March 2009). The Developing Child (12th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.
- Broekhuizen M., Mokrova I., Burchinal M., Garrett-Peters P., The Family Project Key Investigators (2016). Classroom quality at pre-kindergarten and kindergarten and children's social skills and behavioural problems. Early childhood Research Quarterly, 36, 212-222.
- Brzezińska A. (red.). (2014). Niezbędnik dobrego nauczyciela. Warszawa: Wydawnictwo IBE.
- Brzezińska A., Matejczuk J., Nowotnik A. (2012). Wspomaganie rozwoju dzieci w wieku od 5 do 7 lat a ich gotowość do radzenia sobie z wyzwaniami szkoły. [Supporting the development of children aged 5 to 7 years, and their willingness to deal with the challenges of school] Edukacja, 1 (117), 7-22.
- Casey B., Somerville L., Gotlib I., Ayduk O., Franklin N., Askren M., Jonides J., Berman M., Wilson N., Teslovich T., Gloves G., Zayas V., Mischel W., Shoda Y. (2011). From the cover: Behavioural and neural correlates of delay of gratification 40 years later. Proceeding of the National Academy of Science, 108, 36, 14998-15003.
- Davies S., Janus M., Duku E., Gaskin A. (2016). Using the Early Development Instrument to examine cognitive and non-cognitive school readiness and elementary student achievement. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 35, 63-75.
- Eigste I., Zayas V., Mischel W., Shoda Y., Ayduk O., Dadlani M., Davidson M., Aber J., Casey B. (2006). Predicting cognitive control from preschool to late adolescence and young adulthood. Psychology Science, 17, 6, 478-484.
- Fantuzzo J., Bulotsky-Shearer R., Fusco R., McWayne Ch. (2005). An investigation of preschool classroom behavioural adjustment problems and social-emotional school readiness competencies. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 20, 259-275.
- Fitzpartrick C., Kinnon R., Blair C., Willioughby M. (2014). Do preschool executive function skills explain the school readiness gap between advantaged and disadvantaged children? Learning and Instruction, 30, 25-31.
- Frydrychowicz A., Kozniewska E., Matuszewski A., Zwierzynska E. (2006). Doradca Nauczyciela Sześciolatków. Badanie gotowości szkolnej sześciolatków [Six-year-old children's teacher adviser. School readiness assessment] Warszawa: CMPPP.
- Goleman D. (1997). Inteligencja emocjonalna. Poznań: Media Rodzina.
- Hatfield B.,, Burchinal M., Pianta R., Sideris J. (2016). Thresholds in the association between quality of teacher-child interactions and preschool children's school readiness skills. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 36, 561-571.
- Jabłoński S., Kleka P. (2015). Wiek rozpoczęcia nauki w szkole podstawowej a poziom rozwoju mowy pisanej u ucczniów klas 1-3: analiza porównawcza. [Age starting of primary education and the level of development of written expression at 1-3 grades: Comparative analysis] Edukacja, 1, (132), 7-19.
- Janus M., Offord. D. (2007). Development and psychometric properties of the Early Development Instrument (EDI): a measure of children's school readiness. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science, 39, 1, 1-22. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/cjbs2007001.
- Konarzewski K. (2013). Wiek startu szkolnego a osiągnięcia w nauce w okresie wczesnoszkolnym. [starting school age and academic achievement during the early school education] Edukacja, 4, (124), 5-19.
- Mischel W. (1961). Father absence and delay of gratification. Cross-cultural comparisons. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 63, 116-124: doi: 10.1037/h0046877.
- Mischel W., Shoda Y., Rodrigues M. (1989). Delay of gratification in children. Science, 244, 933-938. doi: 10.1126.science.2658056.
- Stan M.M. (2013). Social and emotional competence - predictors of school adjustment. Social and Behavioral Sciences, 76, 29-33.
- Wygotski L. (1989). Myslenie i mowa. [Thought and speech]. Warszawa: PWN.
- Vitiello V., Williford A. (2016). Relations between social skills and language and literacy outcomes among disruptive preschoolers: Task engagement as a mediator. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 36, 136-144.
Publication order reference