Bank prudential and bank stability– how far do they go
Languages of publication
This paper investigates how bank prudential behaviour affects bank stability, focusing only in the period after the global financial crisis. For this reason, we construct a new composite proxy as a measure for bank stability condition and another one for bank prudential behaviour. Then, we make use of a sample with a set of data for 16 banks operating in the Albanian financial sector over the period 2008 – 2015. The main results provide strong supportive evidence that there exist a strong positive relationship in the prudential – stability nexus, which confirms that prudential behaviour is a key fundamental contributor for bank stability. We also used a quadratic term of the prudential indicator to capture a possible non-linear relationship between bank prudential behaviour and stability, but found no supportive evidence. Finally, macroeconomic conditions are also found to be crucial for bank stability. Similarly, improving operational efficiency and capital structure boost bank stability.
- Ahmed, A., Takeda, C., and Thomas, Sh. (1999). “Bank Loan Loss Provisions: a Re-examination of Capital Management, Earnings Management and Signalling Effects.” Journal of Accounting and Economics 28(1): 1–25.
- Alessi, M., Di Colli, S., and Lopez, J. (2015). “Loan Loss Provisioning and Relationship Banking in Italy: Practices and Empirical Evidence.” Journal of Entrepreneurial and Organizational Diversity 3(1).
- Alhadab, M., and Alsahawneh, S. (2016). “Loan Loss Provision and the Profitability of Commercial Banks: Evidence from Jordan.” International Journal of Business and Management; 11(12).
- Anderson, Th. and Hsiao, Ch. (1981). “Estimation of Dynamic Models with Error Components.” Journal of American Statistical Association, 76(375): 598–606.
- Ansari, J., and Goyal, A. (2014). “Bank Competition, Managerial Efficiency and Interest Rate-Pass-through in India.” Contemporary Issues in Bank Financial Management, in Simon Grima, Frank Bezzina (ed.), 97, Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Arellano, M., and Bond, S. (1991). “Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations.” The Review of Economic Studies, 58(2): 277–297.
- Arellano, M., and Bover, O. (1995). “Another Look at the Instrumental Variables Estimation of Error Components Models”, Journal of Econometrics 68(1): 29–51.
- Balla, E., and McKenna, A. (2009). “Dynamic Provisioning: A Countercyclical Tool for Loan Loss Reserves.” Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond Economic Quarterly 95(4): 383–418.
- Balla, E., and Rose, M. (2015). “Loan Loss Provisions, Accounting Constraints, and Bank Ownership Structure.” Journal of Economics and Business 78: 92–117.
- Barth, James, Gerard Caprio, and Ross Levine. (2004). “Bank Supervision and Regulation: What Works Best?” Journal of Financial Intermediation 13: 205–248.
- Beatty, A., Ke, B., and Petroni, K. (2002). “Earnings Management to Avoid Earnings Declines across Publicly and Privately Held Banks.” The Accounting Review 77(3): 547–570.
- Beatty, A., and Liao, S. (2014). “Financial Accounting in the Banking Industry: A Review of the Empirical Literature.” Journal of Accounting and Economics 58(2–3): 339–383.
- Berger, A., and Bouwman, C. (2013) “How Does Capital Affect Bank Performance During Financial Crises?.”, Journal of Financial Economics, 19: 146–176.
- Betz, F., Oprica, S., Peltonen, T., Sarlin, P. (2014), “Predicting Distress In European Banks”, Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol. 45: 225–241.
- Bikker, J., and Metzemakers, P. (2005). “Bank Provisioning Behaviour and Pro-cyclicality.” Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money 15: 141–157.
- Bond, S., and Windmeijer, F. (2002). “Finite Sample Inteference for GMM Estimators in Linear Panel Data Models.” Institute of Fiscal Studies, London, January (2002).
- Bouvatier, V., and Lepetit, L. (2008). “Banks’ Pro-cyclical Behaviour: Does Provisioning Matter?.“ Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money 18(5): 513–526.
- Bouvatier, V., and Lepetit, L. (2012). “Effects of Lon Loss Provisions on Growth in Bank Lending: Some International Comparisons.” International Economics 132: 91–116.
- Bouvatier, V., Lepetit, L., and Strobel, F. (2014). “Bank income smoothing, ownership concentration and the regulatory environment.” Journal of Banking & Finance 41: 253–270.
- Bushman, R., and Williams, C. (2012). “Accounting Discretion, Loan Loss Provisioning and Discipline of Banks’ Risk-Taking.” Journal of Accounting and Economics 54(1).
- Cavallo, Michele, and Giovanni Majnoni. (2001). “Do Banks Provision for Bad Loans in Good Times? Empirical Evidence and Policy Implications.” The World Bank, Financial Sector Strategy and Policy Department, Policy Research Working Paper Nr. 2619.
- Cleary, S., Hebb, G., (2016), “An Efficient and Functional Model for Predicting Bank Distress: In and out of Sample Evidence”, Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol. 64: 101–111.
- Cohen, L., Marcia C., Marcus, A., Tehranian, H. (2014). “Bank Earnings Management and Tail Risk During the Financial Crisis.” Journal of Money, Credit and Banking 46(1): 171–197.
- Cucinelli, D. (2015). “The Impact of Non-performing Loans on Bank Lending Behaviour: Evidence from the Italian Banking Sector.” Eurasian Journal of Business and Economics, 8(16): 59–71.
- Curcio, D, and Hasan, I. (2015). Earnings and “Capital Management and Signaling: the Use of Loan-Loss Provisions by European banks.” The European Journal of Finance, 21(1): 26–50.
- Dell’Ariccia, G., and Marquez, R. (2006). “Lending Booms and Lending Standards.” The Journal of Finance 61(5): 2511–2546.
- Dell’Ariccia, G, Igan, I., and Laeven, L. (2012). “Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence from the Subprime Mortgage Market.” Journal of Money, Credit and Banking 44(2–3): 367–384.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, A., Detragiache, E., and Tressel, Th. (2008). “Banking on the Principles: Compliance with Basel Core Principles and Bank Soundness.” Journal of Financial Intermediation 17(4): 511–542.
- Dushku, E. (2016). “Some Empirical Evidence of Loan Loss Provisions for Albanian Banks.” Journal of Central Banking Theory and Practice, 2016, 2: 157-173.
- Elnahass, M., Izzeldin, M., and Abdelsalm, O. (2014). “Loan Loss Provisions, Bank Valuations and Discretion: A Comparative Study Between Conventional and Islamic Banks.” Journal of Economic Behaviour & Organization 103: 5160–5173.
- European Central Bank, (2007), “Progress Towards a Framework for Financial Stability Assessment”, Speech by José Manuel González-Páramo, Member of the Executive Board of the ECB, OECD World Forum on “Statistics, Knowledge and Policy”, Istanbul, June 2007.
- Fiordelisi, F., and Mare, D. (2014). “Competition and Financial Stability in European Cooperative Banks” Journal of International Money and Finance 45: 1–16.
- Fonseca, R., and González, F. (2008). “Cross-country Determinants of Bank Income Smoothing by Managing Loan- Loss Provisions.” Journal of Banking & Finance 32(2): 217–228.
- Foos, D, Norden, L., and Weber, M. (2010). “Loan Growth and Riskiness of Banks.” Journal of Banking & Finance, 34: 2929–2940.
- Fratzscher, M., König, Ph., and Lambert, C. (2016). “Credit Provision and Bank Stability after the Great Financial Crisis: The Role of Bank Regulation and the Quality of Governance.” Journal of International Money and Finance 66: 113–135.
- Fu, X., a Lin, Y., and Molyneux, Ph. (2014). “Bank competition and financial stability in Asia Pacific.” Journal of Banking & Finance, 38: 64–77.
- Glen, J., and Mondragón-Vélez, C. (2011). “Business Cycle Effects on Commercial Bank Loan Portfolio Performance in Developing Economies.” Review of Development Finance 1(2): 150–165.
- Greenawalt, M., and Sinkey, J. (1988). “Bank Loan-Loss Provisions and the Income-Smoothing Hypothesis: An Empirical Analysis, 1976–1984.” Journal of Financial Services Research 1(4): 301–318.
- Hall, A. (2005). “Generalized Methods of Moments.” Oxford University Press.
- Han, Ch., and Phillips, P. (2010). “GMM Estimation for Dynamic Panels with Fixed Effects and Strong Instruments at Unity.” Econometric Theory, 26: 119–151.
- Jiménez, G., Lopez, J., and Saurina, J. (2013). “How does competition affect bank risk-taking?.” Journal of Financial Stability, 9(2): 185–195.
- Judson, R., and Owen, A. (1999). “Estimating Dynamic Panel Data Models: A Guide for Macroeconomist.” Economics Letters, 65: 9–15.
- Hess, K., Grimes, A., and Holmes, M. (2009). “Credit Losses in Australasian Banking.” Economic Record, 85: 331–343.
- Kasman, S., and Kasman, A. (2015). “Bank Competition, Concentration and Financial Stability in the Turkish Banking Industry.” Economic Systems, 39, 502-517.
- Keeton, W. (1999). “Does Faster Loan Growth Lead to Higher Loan Losses?.” Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, Economic Review.
- Kick, Th., and Prieto, E. (2015). “Bank Risk Taking and Competition: Evidence from Regional Banking Markets.” Review of Finance 19(3): 1185–1222.
- Laeven, L., and Majnoni, G. (2003). “Loan Loss Provisioning and Economic Slowdowns: Too Much, Too Late?.” Journal of Financial Intermediation, 12(2): 178–197.
- Leventis, S., Dimitropoulos, P., and Anandarajan, A. (2011). “Loan Loss Provisions, Earnings Management and Capital Management under IFRS: The Case of EU Commercial Banks.” Journal of Financial Services Research 40(1): 103–122.
- Liu, C., and Ryan, S. (2006). “Income Smoothing over the Business Cycle: Changes in Banks’ Coordinated Management of Provisions for Loan Losses and Loan Charge-Offs form the Pre-1990 Bust to the 1990s Boom.” The Accounting Review 81: 421–441.
- Liu, H., Molyneux, Ph., and Wilson, J. (2013). “Competition and Stability in European Banking: A Regional Analysis.” The Manchester School, 81(2): 176-201.
- Niswander, F., and Swanson, E. (2000). “Loan, security, and dividend choices by individual (unconsolidated) public and private commercial banks.” Journal of Accounting and Public Policy 19(3): 201–235.
- Ogura, Y. (2006). “Learning from a rival bank and lending boom.” Journal of Financial Intermediation 15(4):535–555.
- Pabón, A., and Kohlscheen, E. (2016). “Moving in Tandem: Bank Provisioning in Emerging Market Economies.” BIS Working Papers No 548 (March 2016).
- Packer, F., and Zhu, H. (2012). “Loan Loss Provisioning Practices of Asian Banks.” BIS Working Papers No 375.
- Roodman, D. (2009). “A Note on the Theme of Too Many Instruments.” Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 71(1): 135–158.
- Salas, V., and Saurina, J. (2002). “Credit Risk in Two Institutional Regimes: Spanish Commercial and Savings Banks.” Journal of Financial Services Research 22: 203–224.
- Saurina, J., and Jiménez, G. (2006). “Credit Cycles, Credit Risk, and Prudential Regulation.” International Journal of Central Banking 2: 65–98.
- Saurina, J. (2009a). “Dynamic Provisioning: The Experience of Spain.” Crisis Response Note No. 7, International Finance Corporation.
- Saurina, J. (2009b). “Loan Loss Provisions in Spain. A Working Macroprudential Tool.” Revista de Estabilidad Financiera, 17: 11-26.
- Schaeck, K., and Čihák, M. (2014), “Competition, Efficiency, and Stability in Banking.”, Financial Management 43 (1): 215–241.
- Sere-Ejembi, A., Udom, I.S., Salihu, A., Atoi, N.V., and Yaaba, B.N., (2014), “Developing Banking System Stability Index for Nigeria”, CBN Journal of Applied Statistics, Vol. 5 (1), June (2014).
- Shijaku, G. (2016a). “Banking Stability and its Determinants: A Sensitivity Analysis on Methodological Changes.” in the Economic Review 2016, 6H-1, 2016, Bank of Albania: 18–30.
- Shijaku, G. (2016b). “Does primary sovereignty risk effect bank stability? Evidence from Albanian banking system.” Bank of Albania, Forthcoming Bank of Albanian Working Paper. Presented at the 2nd Policy Research Conference of the ECBN “Macro-prudential Instruments financial cycles” organised by Bank of Slovenia ad CEPR, 29–30 September 2016, Slovenia.
- Shijaku, G. (2016c). “Bank competition in Albania: An analysis through Boone indicator.” in the Economic Review 2016, 6H-2, 2016, Bank of Albania: 52–67.
- Tadesse, S. (2006). “The economic value of regulated disclosure: Evidence from the banking sector.” Journal of Accounting and Public Policy 25(1): 32–70.
- Tahir, S., Ahmad, F., and Aziz, B. (2014). “Impact of Loan Loss Provision on Bank Profitability in Pakistan.” Research Journal of Social Science & Management, 3(12).
- Uhde, A., and Heimeshoff, U. (2009). “Consolidation in Banking and Financial Stability in Europe Further Evidence.” Journal of Banking and Finance: 33, 1299–1311.
- Ul Mustafa, A., Ansari, R., and Younis, M. (2012). “Does the Loan Loss Provision Affect the Banking Profitability in Case of Pakistan?.” Asian Economic and Financial Review, 2(7): 772–783.
Publication order reference