AN EXPERIMENTAL STUDY OF SUBTITLED ONLINE VIDEO SUPPORTING THAI STUDENTS LEARNING ENGLISH IT CONTENT
Languages of publication
This research study investigated whether the innovation of online video media spoken in both Thai and English with appropriate subtitles improved English skills for new students in Business Computing at Suratthani Rajabhat University. Ninety two students were split equally between an experimental group using video online media for learning and a control group learning the same content face-to-face in the classroom. Evaluation was conducted through achievement and satisfaction tests. Trials of the instructional media by 33 students with a range of English skills helped to improve it. At the end of the learning period all students using the video online media passed the achievement test standard but only 54% of the control group passed. There was no significant difference between the pre-test scores of the two groups. The post-test scores showed that the experimental group had a significantly higher average score (23.39) than the control group (14.89) at the p level of 0.05. The achievement test results of the experimental group (listening = 3.98, reading =3.89, writing = 3.93, speaking = 3.91, discussion =3.91, presenting = 3.87) were significantly higher than the control group (listening = 2.94, reading =3.07, writing = 2.72, speaking = 1.93, discussion =2.20, presenting = 2.20) at the p level of 0.01 in every English skill. The students’ satisfaction for the innovation rated out of 5 was at a high level overall (4.54), the students were satisfied with the innovation (4.67), the innovation was interesting (4.63), and the innovation was easy to understand (4.28).
- Al-Seghayer, K. (2001). The effect of multimedia annotation modes on L2 vocabulary acquisition: A omparative study. Language Learning & Technology, 5(1), 202-232.
- Arapoff, N. (1967). Writing: A thinking process. TESOL Quarterly, 1, 33-39.
- Bal-Gezegin, B. (2014). An investigation of using video vs. audio for teaching vocabulary. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 143, 450-457.
- Bishop J. L., & Verleger, M A. (2013). The flipped classroom: A survey of the research, 120th ASEE Conference. Last accessed June 15, 2018. https://www.asee.org/public/conferences/20/papers/6219/download
- Bond, G. L., & Tinker, M. A. (1957). Reading Difficulties: Their Diagnosis and Correction. New York: Appleton Century-Crofts.
- Education First (2018). English Proficiency Index. Last accessed June 15, 2018. http://www.ef.co.uk/epi/.
- Gilakjani, A., & Ahmadi, A. (2011). A study of factors affecting EFL learners' English listening comprehension and the strategies for improvement. Journal of Language Teaching and Research, 2(5), 977-988.
- Guo, P. (2013). Optimal video length for student engagement edX Blog. Last accessed June 15, 2018, from https://blog.edx.org/optimal-video-length-student-engagement.
- Hsiu-Feng, S., Shu-Hui E., Shu-Chu C., & Shyh-Chyi, W. (2013). The relationship among tertiary level EFL students’ personality, online learning motivation and online learning satisfaction. Journal of Elsevier. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 103, 1152-1160.
- Huang, Y. Shadiev, R., & Hwang, W. (2016). Investigating the effectiveness of speech-to-text recognition applications on learning performance and cognitive load. Comput. Educ., 101(C), 15-28.
- Kosashunhanan, K. (2016). The use of English for communication by Thai engineers: Case study of Japanese companies at Amata Nakorn Industrial Estate. Journal of Suthiparithat. 30(93), 146-149.
- Lella, A. (2014) comScore Releases January 2014 U.S. Online Video Rankings. Last accessed June 15, 2018, from https://www.comscore.com/Insights/Press-Releases/2014/2/comScore-Releases-January-2014-US-Online-Video-Rankings.
- National Academic Testing Institute (2013). Statistical Results of Ordinary National Educational Test (O-NET), Grade 6 Academic Year 2013. Last Accessed April 3, 2013. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwiJnPqRg6LeAhVJq48KHWv8C00QFjAAegQICRAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.journal.nu.ac.th%2FJCDR%2Farticle%2Fview%2F1591%2F983&usg=AOvVaw3gRdxDV6ZCiVpe1evPG-Sa.
- Samae, R , & Karavi, P. (2015). Learners’ syllable-stress performance as affected by Audio-lingual Method with phonetics instruction: A study of Grade 10 students, Sirirathsamakkhee School, Mayor District, Pattani Province. Journal of Education Prince of Songkla University. 26(1), 85-89.
- Shimogori, N., Ikeda, T., & Tsuboi, S. (2010). Automatically generated captions: Will they help non-native speakers communicate in English. ICIC’10 Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Intercultural Collaboration, 79-86.
- Thailand Ministry of Education. (2012). Announcing of the policy and operational guidelines for "2012 English-Speaking Year 2012". Last Accessed on December 2, 2016, from https://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/feb/14/thailand-speak-english-campaign
- Wald, M. (2011). Synote: A free collaborative multimedia web technology helping teachers and students transform teaching and learning in schools, colleges and universities. 15th Biennial of the International Study Association on Teachers and Teaching. Last accessed June 15, 2018 https://eprints.soton.ac.uk/272681/
- Wangkahad, S. (1993). The Role of Media in Teaching and Learning Process for High School Students, Education Section 10. PhD thesis. Srinakharinwirot University.
- William, E. (1993). First and second language reading proficiency of Year 3, 4 and 6 children in Malawi and Zambia. Reading in a Foreign Language, 10(1), 915-929.
- Wiseman, A., & Odell, A. (2014). Should non-English-speaking countries teach in English? About the Voices Magazine. British Council. Last accessed June 15, 2018 https://www.britishcouncil.org/voices-magazine/should-non-english-speaking-countries-teach-in-english
- Wutwongsa, N. (2015). Motivational strategies: Enhancing English language skills. Executive Journal, 34(1), 89- 97.
- Yabe, M. (2017). Benefit comparison of captioned online courses for Shimogori, American, International, and Deaf/Hard of Hearing Students. From the viewpoint of individual value and total value. Journal of Accessibility and Design for All, [S.l.], 5(1), 27-46.
- Yordming, R. (2017). Teaching English pronunciation of primary English language teachers in Phranakhon Si Ayutthaya Province. Veridian E-Journal, Silpakorn University, 1216-1226.
- Zane Education (2018). Research into using video subtitles and closed captions to improve reading and literacy skills. Last accessed June 15, 2018. http://www.zaneeducation.com/video-subtitles-captions/subtitle-and-closed-captions-research.php
Publication order reference