MACROECONOMIC INDICATORS FORECASTS ACCURACY AND REACTION OF INVESTORS ON THE WSE
Languages of publication
Every day analysts and news agencies publish forecasts of important macroeconomic indicators. When the announced value of an indicator differs from its forecast, investors must revise their strategies. The strength of investors’ reaction depend on the difference between expectations and the true value of the indicator. In this paper we analyze the reaction of investors on the WSE to U.S. macroeconomic news announcements. We compare the strength of the reaction when forecasts are based on information from different financial services.
- Andersen T., Bollerslev T., Diebold F., Vega C. (2007) Real-time price discovery in global stock, bond and foreign exchange markets, Journal of International Economics, Vol. 73, pp. 251-277.
- Cakan E., Doytch N., Upadhyaya K. P. (2015) Does U.S. macroeconomic news make emerging financial markets riskier?, Borsa Istanbul Rewiev, Vol. 15(1), pp. 37-43.
- Gurgul H., Suliga M., Wójtowicz T. (2012) Responses of the Warsaw Stock Exchange to the U.S. Macroeconomic Data Announcement, Managerial Economics, Vol. 12, pp. 41-60.
- Gurgul H., Suliga M., Wójtowicz T. (2013) The reaction of intraday WIG returns to the U.S. macroeconomic news announcements, Quantitative Methods in Economics, Vol. XIV, pp. 150-159.
- Gurgul, H., Wójtowicz T. (2014) The impact of US macroeconomic news on the Polish stock market. The importance of company size to information flow, Central European Journal of Operations Research, Vol. 22, pp. 795–817.
- Gurgul H., Wójtowicz T. (2015) The Response of Intraday ATX Returns to U.S. Macroeconomic News, Finance a úvěr – Czech Journal of Economics and Finance, Vol. 65(3), pp. 230-253.
- Hanousek J., Kočenda E., Kutan A. M. (2009) The reaction of asset prices to macroeconomic announcements in new EU markets: evidence from intraday data, Journal of Financial Stability, Vol. 5(2), pp. 199-219.
- Harju K., Hussain S. (2011) Intraday seasonalities and macroeconomic news announcements, European Financial Management, Vol. 17, pp. 367–390.
- Kolari J., Pynnönen S. (2011) Nonparametric rank tests for event studies, Journal of Empirical Finance, Vol. 18, pp. 953-971.
- Nikkinen J., Sahlström P. (2004) Scheduled Domestic and US Macroeconomic News and Stock Valuation in Europe, Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Vol. 14, pp. 201-245.
- Nikkinen J., Omran M., Sahlström M., Äijö A. (2006) Global stock market reactions to scheduled U.S. macroeconomic news announcements, Global Finance Journal, Vol. 17(1), pp. 92-104.
- Suliga M., Wójtowicz T. (2013) The reaction of the WSE to U.S. employment news announcements, Managerial Economics, Vol. 14, pp. 39-60.
Publication order reference