The EU’s Common Trade Policy: Implementation of the Concept of Sustainable Development and Free Trade in the Era of De-Globalization Processes?
Languages of publication
The purpose of the article is to show the importance of the European Union’s common commercial policy in implementing the concept of sustainable development. The article uses the qualitative and quantitative method, analysis of Polish and foreign literature and analysis of a number of free trade agreements, signed or negotiated in the form of free trade zones and the system of customs preferences (GSP). The analysis concerns EU trade relations in the context of the implementation of sustainable development assumptions. In the new generation trade agreements, economic growth is served by the use of both the idea of free trade and sustainable development. The starting point for the analysis is the discussion of the promotion of the idea of sustainable development by the European Union based on accepted liberal solutions in the common EU trade policy, currently used in the period of weak development of international trade. The second point discusses the European Union’s strategy in the common trade policy, developed on the basis of UN resolutions on sustainable economic development. The third point examines the issue of problems in achieving the goals of sustainable economic development in the case of developing countries.
- A Global Partnership for Poverty Eradication and Sustainable Development after 2015, Brussels 2015.
- Chané A.-L., Killander M., EU Cooperation with Regional Organizations in Africa, Working Paper No. 197 – January 2018.
- Commission Staff Working Document Report on the implementation of the European Commission Communication on “Trade, Growth and Development and follow-up to the Council Conclusions on “EU’s approach to trade, growth and development in the next decade, Brussels, 25.02.2016.
- Communication From the Commission to The European Parliament, The Council, The European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions. A Global Partnership for Poverty Eradication and Sustainable Development after 2015, Brussels, 5.02.2015.
- Communication from the Commission to The European Parliament, The Council, The European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions, A Decent Life for all: Ending poverty and giving the world a sustainable future, Brussels, 27.02.2013, COM(2013) 92 final.
- Council Of The European Union, The Africa-EU Strategic Partnership A Joint Africa-EU Strategy, Lisbon, 9 December 2007 16344/07 (Presse 291), https://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cms_data/docs/pressdata/en/er/97496.pdf.
- De Ville F., Orbie J., Van den Putte L., Sustainable development in TTIP: a highest common denominator compromise?, “European Journal of Risk Regulation”, no. 2/2016, 291, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1867299 X00005705.
- DG Trade Statistical Guide, DG Trade, June 2018, Publications Office of the European Union, Luxembourg 2018.
- EU – Africa relations, https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/policies/eu-africa/.
- European External Action Service, EU remains the world’s leading donor of development assistance, Bruxelles 12.04.2018, https://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/barbados/42844/eu-remains-worlds-leading-donor-development-assistance_en.
- European Union, Trade in goods with ACP – Central Africa, Directorate-General for Trade, Brussels 2018, http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2013/november/tradoc_151899.pdf.
- European Union, Trade in goods with ACP – East African Community (EAC), Directorate-General for Trade, Brussels 2018, http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2013/november/tradoc_151901.pdf.
- European Union, Trade in goods with ACP – Eastern and Southern Africa (ESA), Directorate-General for Trade, Brussels 2018, http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2013/november/tradoc_151900.pdf.
- European Union, Trade in goods with ACP – Pacific Countries, Directorate-General for Trade, Brussels 2018, http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2011/january/tradoc_147359.pdf.
- European Union, Trade in goods with ACP – Southern African Development Community (SADC), Brussels 2018, http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2013/november/tradoc_151902.pdf.
- European Union, Trade in goods with ACP – West Africa, Directorate-General for Trade, Brussels 2018, https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/isdb_results/factsheets/region/details_acp-west-africa_en.pdf.
- European Union, Trade in goods with ACP Total (African Caribbean and Pacific Countries), Directorate-General for Trade, Brussels 2018, http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2006/september/tradoc_113340.pdf.
- Fact Sheets on the European Union, http://www.europarl.europa.eu/atyourservice/pl/displayFtu.html?ftuId=FTU_5.6.6.html.
- Felbermayr G. et al., GED Study, On the Economics of an EU-Japan Free Trade Agreement, Study of the Ifo Institute on behalf of the Bertelsmann Foundation Final Report on March 3, 2017.
- Fontagne L., Laborde D., Mitaritonna C., An Impact Study of the Economic Partnership Agreements in the Six ACP Regions, “Journal of African Economies”, vol. 20, no. 2/2008, pp. 179–216, https://doi.org/10.1093/jae/ejq037.
- Francois J. et al., Reducing Transatlantic Barriers to Trade and Investment An Economic Assessment, Centre for Economic Policy Research, London 2013.
- Gallezot J., Bureau J.-Ch., The Trade Effects of the EU’s Everything But Arms Initiative, Economic Analysis in Support of Bilateral and Multilateral Trade Negotiations, N° Trade 2002/-A2-01, CEPII, Commission of the European Union – Directorate-General for Trade, Paris 2002.
- Hilpert H.G., The Japan-EU Economic Partnership Agreement, Economic Potentials and Policy Perspectives, Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik German Institute for International and Security Affairs, SWP Comments 49, November 2017.
- International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development, EU, Australia Launch Negotiations for Free Trade Pact, “Bridges”, vol. 22, no. 22, 21 June 2018.
- International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development, UN Members Sign Off on Sustainable Development Agenda, “Bridges”, vol. 19, no. 12, 1 October 2015.
- Kaczmarek F., Znaczenie pokoju i stabilizacji dla europejskiej polityki rozwojowej wobec Afryki Subsaharyjskiej (The Importance of Peace and Stability for European Development Policy Towards Sub-Saharan Africa), „Przegląd Politologiczny”, no. 1/2017, pp. 157–172, http://przeglad.amu.edu.pl/ wp-content/uploads/2017/05/pp-2017-1-11.pdf.
- Langan M., A moral economy approach to Africa-EU ties: the case of the European Investment Bank, “Review of International Studies”, no. 40/2014, pp. 465–485, https://doi.org/10.1017/S026021051300048X
- ECD Development aid stable in 2017 with more sent to poorest countries, http://www.oecd.org/development/financing-sustainable-development/development-finance-data/ODA-2017-complete-data-tables.pdf.
- Overview of FTA and other Trade Negotiations Updated May 2018 – Updates in red, Brussels 2018.
- Partnerstwo na rzecz zmian Współpraca rozwojowa Unii Europejskiej z krajami Afryki, Karaibów i Pacyfi ku (Partnership for change. Development cooperation of the European Union with the countries of the Caribbean and Pacific Europe), Luksemburg: Urząd Publikacji Unii Europejskiej, 2010, https://ec.europa.eu/europeaid/sites/devco/fi les/publication-acppartnership-for-change-2010_pl.pdf.
- Regulation (EU) No 978/2012 of the European Parliament And Of The Council of 25 October 2012 applying a scheme of generalized tariff preferences and repealing Council Regulation (EC) No 732/2008. Official Journal of the European Union L 303/1, 31.10.2012.
- The Economist, Finance and Economics: Falling out of favour, London, May 8, 2005.
- Trade in goods with ACP – Caribbean Countries, Directorate-General for Trade, Brussels 2018, http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2006/september/tradoc_113476.pdf.
- UNCTAD, Key Statistics and Trends in Economic Integration ACP Region, New York and Geneva, United Nations 2018. World Trade Statistical Review 2017, World Trade Organization Geneva 2017.
Publication order reference