Derring Russia in the Baltics to Allow US Power Projection in the Pacific
Languages of publication
The balance of power in the world is fluctuating as the US is facing new competitors as the People’s Republic of China being as rising power. So, if tensions between the US and China or another near-peer will grow, the US would need to dedicate significant resources to the face new threat. Such a shift of power could affect the balance of power in other regions of the world and it could even trigger Russian opportunism in its former Soviet satellites. There could be a risk that NATO’s current military structure in the Baltic States leaves its Eastern flank exposed to potential risks. The paper argues that additional initiatives such as easing the flow of Allied forces across borders, the establishment of NATO anti-access/ area denial (A2AD) measures and efforts towards political cohesion need to be added and done so in a manner to gain maximum benefits from their combined effects.
- Braw, E., 2016, A Schengen Zone for NATO: Why the Alliance Needs Open Borders for Troops. Foreign Affairs. [Online] Available from: https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/russian-federation/2016-06-06/schengen-zone-nato (accessed 20.01.2017).
- Breedlove, P., 2015, Department of Defense Press Briefing by General Breedlove in the Pentagon Briefing Room. [Online] April 30th 2016. Press Operations. Available from: https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript-View/Article/607046/department-of-defense-press-briefing-by-general-breedlove-in-the-pentagon-brief (accessed 21.01.2017).
- Brendan, M., 2016, Russia Finishes Delivery of S-300 Missile Systems to Iran. [Online] Available from: https://www.defensetech.org/2016/10/14/russia-finishes-delivery-s-300-missile-systems-iran/ (accessed 31.03.2017).
- Clark, W., Luik, J., Ramms, E., & Shirreff, R., 2016, Closing NATO’s Baltic Gap. International Centre For Defence and Security. Tallinn.
- Clevenger, A., 2015, Raytheon, Kongsberg Join Forces on NSM. Defense News. [Online] Available from: http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/naval/navy/2015/04/09/raytheon-and-kongsberg-join-forces-on-nsm/25518755/ (accessed 20.03.2017).
- Collinson, S., 2016, 5 Candidates Make Closing Arguments on CNN Ahead of Western Tuesday. CNN. [Online] 23rd March. Available from: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/21/politics/elections-2016-final-five-highlights/?iid=EL (accessed 20.01.2017).
- Cooper, J., 2016, If War Comes Tomorrow: How Russia Prepares for Possible Armed Aggression. Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies. Whitehall Report, p. 4-16.
- Federation of American Scientists, 2000, M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank. [Online] Available from: https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m1.htm (accessed 20.01.2017).
- Global Security, 2016, 3M-54 Klub/Caliber. [Online] Available from – http://www.globalsecurity. org/military/world/russia/club.htm (accessed 31.03.2017).
- Gompert, D., Cevallos, A. & Garafola, C., 2016, War with China: Thinking Through the Unthinkable. RAND Corporation. p. 9-93.
- Gorenc, F., 2014, Interview with General Frank Gorenc. Air Force Times. 28th August.
- Gotkowska, J., 2016, High on Reassurance, Low on Deterrence – Germany’s Stance on Strengthening NATO’s Eastern Flank. OSW Centre for Eastern Studies. Commentary 217.
- Grynkewich, A., 2017, The Future of Air Superiority, Part III: Defeating A2/AD. [Online] Available from: https://warontherocks.com/2017/01/the-future-ofair-superiority-part-iii-defeating-a2ad/ (accessed 15.01.2017).
- Harper, J., 2016, U.S. Air Force Preparing for ‘High Volume’ Operations in Europe. National Defense. [Online] 5th April. Available from: http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/lists/posts/post.aspx?ID=2146 (accessed. 05.12.2016).
- Jacquette, R., 2017, As Inauguration Nears, Trump Keeps World Leaders on Edge. The New York Times [Online] 16th January. Available from: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/16/world/donald-trumpworld-leaders.html?_r=0 (accessed 20.01.2017).
- Jones, S., 2016, Poland and Baltic States Explore Anti-Aircraft Shield. Financial Times. [Online] 12th June. Available from: https://www.ft.com/content/7329eeb6-3091-11e6-bda0-04585c31b153 (accessed 28.01.2017].
- Kelly, T., Gompert, D. & Long, D., 2016, Smarter Power Stronger Partners, Vol. 1: Exploiting US Advantages to Prevent Aggression. RAND Corporation, p. 17.
- Kreitmayr, M. 2017, Back to Bussiness: The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and its Concept of Collective Defense. Project 1721. US Army War College, p. 65.
- Larrinaga, N., 2016, Lithuania and Norway Agree NASAMS Deal. IHS Jane’s 360. [Online] 25th October. Available from: http://www.janes.com/ar ticle/64881/lithuania-and-norway-agree-nasamsdeal (accessed 21.01.2017].
- Maness, R. & Valeriano, B., 2012, Russia and the Near Abroad: Applying a Risk Barometer for War. The Journal of Slavic Military Studies. [Online] 25 (2). p. 125-148. Available from – http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13518046.2012.676453 (accessed 27.01.2017).
- Mastriano, D., 2017, Putin’s Complex Application of Russian Strategic Landpower. Project 1721. US Army War College, p. 3.
- NATO Review Magazine, 2016, Securing the Nordic-Baltic Region. [Online] Available from – http://www.nato.int/docu/Review/2016/Also-in-2016/security-balticdefense-nato/EN/index.htm (accessed 27.01.2017).
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization. North Atlantic Council, 2014, Wales Summit Declaration. Brussels.
- Postrybailo, V., 2017, The Conflict in Ukraine: It’s Implications on Armed Forces Development. Project 1721. US Army War College, p. 27.
- Potomac Foundation, 2016, Russian Operational Planning for the Western Strategic Direction of the European TVD. Vienna, Virginia, USA.
- Shlapak, D. & Johnson, M., 2016, Reinforcing Deterrence on NATO’s Eastern Flank. RAND Corporation, p. 1-17.
- Sinovets, P. & Renz, B., 2015, Russia’s 2014 Military Doctrine and Beyond: Threat Perceptions, Capabilities and Ambitions. NATO Defence College, Rome. No 117.
- Terras, R., 2016, Deterring Through Cooperation in the Wider Baltic. [Lecture Notes] International Security Module. Baltic Defence College, Baltic Way Room, 2nd December.
- Smith-Spark, L. & Shubert, A., 2017, Poland welcomes thousands of troops in NATO show of force. CNN. [Online] 14th January. Available from: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/14/europe/polandus-troops-nato-welcome/ (accessed 18.01.2017).
- US Army Europe, 2016, US Army Europe to Increase Presence Across Eastern Europe. 4th November 2016. [Online] Avaialble from – https://www.army.mil/article/177819/us_army_europe_ to_increase_presence_across_eastern_europe (accessed 15.12.2016).
- Wood, D. (ed.), 2016, 2016 Index of US Military Strength: Assessing America’s Ability to Provide for the Common Defense. The Heritage Foundation: Davis Institute for National Security and Foreign Policy.
Publication order reference