HOW DOES PUBLIC DEBT AFFECT ECONOMIC GROWTH IN ALBANIA?
Languages of publication
The global recession and the sovereign debt of European countries has triggered an intense debate over the effectiveness of fiscal policy and over the consequences of rising public debt. The purpose of this paper is to determine if there exist a correlation between the public debt and the economic growth in Albania, where the economic growth will be considered as the increase of GDP. The results and the methodologies are different in different countries and periods, as represented by various empirical studies. What is the situation in Albania at about the last 25 years? The SVAR methodology is used for analyzing this relationship. The results indicated that an instantaneous increase in real economic growth might increase the public debt and vice versa.
- Baum A., Checherita-Westphal C., Rother P. (2012) Debt and Growth: New Evidence for the Euro Area. European Central Bank, Working Paper Series, 1450.
- Clements B., Bhattacharya R., Nguyen T. Q. (2003) External Debt, Public Investment, and Growth in Low-Income Countries. IMF Working Paper, 03/249.
- Egbetunde T. (2012) Public Debt and Economic Growth in Nigeria: Evidence from Granger Causality. American Journal of Economics, 2(6), 101-106.
- El-Mahdy M. A., Torayeh M. N. (2009) Debt Sustainability and Economic Growth in Egypt. International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, 6(1), 21-55.
- IMF Data. http://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/NGDP_RPCH@WEO/OEMDC/ ADVEC/WEOWORLD/ALB.
- Reinhart C., Rogoff K., Savastano M. (2003) Debt Intolerance. Working Paper, 9908, National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge.
- Reinhart C., Rogoff K. (2011) A Decade of Debt. Working Paper, 16827, National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge.
- Reinhart C., Reinhart V., Rogoff K. (2012) Debt Overhangs: Past and Present. Working Paper, 18015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge.
- Schclarek A. (2004) Debt and Economic Growth in Developing and Industrial Countries. http://project.nek.lu.se/publications/workpap/Papers/WP05_34.pdf.
- Sheikh M. et al. (2010) Domestic Debt and Economic Growth in Pakistan: An Empirical Analysis. Pakistan Journal of Social Sciences (PJSS), 30(2), 373-387.
- Sims C. A. (1980) Macroeconomics and Reality. Econometrica, 48, 1-48.
- Uzun A. et al. (2012) The Impacts of External Debt on Economic Growth in Transition Economies. Chinese Business Review, 11(5), 491-499.
Publication order reference