Taxation and its effect on foreign direct investments – the case of Romania
Languages of publication
This paper focuses on the link between taxation and foreign direct investments and the struggle of governments to create a tax regime that would attract investors on the one hand and on the other hand increase revenues. The paper wants to test if the economic development of a country represented in consumption (measured in VAT income for the country) and production (measured in the change in Corporate Income Tax) would create an increase in Foreign Direct Investments. Based on a series of models of multiple regressions we test if the FDI is influenced by income obtained through Corporate Income Tax and Value Added Tax.
- Berry W.D., Feldman S., Multiple Regression in Practice (Sage University Paper series on Quantitative Applications in the Social Sciences, 07-050). Newbury Park, CA, Sage 1985.
- Bénassy-Quéré A., Fontagné L., Lahrèche-Révil A., How does FDI react to corporate taxation, “Int. Tax Public Finance” 2005, no. 12 (5), pp. 583-603.
- Bucovetsky S., Asymmetric tax competition, “Journal of Urban Economy” 1991, no. 30, pp. 167-181.
- De Mooij A., Ederveen S., Taxation and foreign direct investment: a synthesis of empirical research, „International Tax and Public Finance” 2003, vol. 10, no. 6.
- Easson A.J., Tax incentives for foreign direct investments in developing countries, “Australian Tax Forum” 1992, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 387-439.
- Gorter J., de Mooij R., Capital income taxation in Europe; trends and trade-offs, CPB Special Publication 30, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis, 2001
- Justman M., Thisse J.F., Van Ypersele T., Fiscal Competition and Regional Differentiation, 2001, pp. 2-6,
- Kiekebeld B., Harmful tax competition in the European Union; Code of conduct, countermeasures and EU law, Ed. Foundation for European Fiscal Studies, Amsterdam 2004, p. 9,
- Mara E.R., Finaţele publice şi fiscalitatea, între teorie şi practică, Risoprint, Cluj Napoca 2010.
- Piatkowski M., Jarmuzek M., Zero corporate tax income in Moldova. Tax competition and its implication for Eastern Europe, International Monetary Fund, Washington 2008, p. 4.
- Raspiller S., Une analise economique de la concurence fiscale, “Revue francais d’economie” 2006, vol. 20, no. 20-3, pp. 65-69.
- Schon W., Tax competition in Europe, International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation, Amsterdam 2003, p. 2.
- Wilson J., Tax competition with interregional differences in factor endowments, Reg. Sci. Urban Econ. 1991, no. 21, pp. 423-451.
- Yin, Xiangkang, Foreign direct investment and industry structure, „Journal of Economic Studies” 1999, vol. 26, Issue 1, pp. 38-57.
Publication order reference