Volatility Transmission Between Stock and Foreign
Languages of publication
The direction of volatility transmission between stock and foreign exchange markets is important for hedging strategy, portfolio management and financial market regulation. This paper examines volatility transmission between stock and foreign exchange markets by applying the multivariate GARCH model in the BEKK framework to Nigerian stock returns and the Naira/USD exchange rate data from January 1996 to March 2013. Results of the empirical analysis show evidence of volatility clustering in both stock and foreign exchange markets. The results also show bi-directional shock transmission between stock and foreign exchange markets, suggesting that information flow in the foreign exchange market impact the stock market and vice versa. Finally, the results show evidence of a uni-directional volatility transmission from the foreign exchange market to the stock market. The implication is for investors vigilantly to monitor and dissect all information in the two markets as part of their investment strategy.
- Arifin J., Syahruddin N. (2011) Volatility Spillovers between Equity and Currency Markets in ASEAN-5 Countries during Crises, Proceedings of 13th International Conference on Banking and Finance: Lessons Learned from the Financial Crises, 12–13 October, Ostrava Czech Republic. www.opf.slu.cz/kfi/icfb/proc2011/pdf/02_Arifin.pdf
- Baba Y., Engle R.F., Kraft D.F., Kroner K.F. (1990) Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH, Mimeo, Department of Economics, University of California, San Diego. http://econ.arizona.edu/docs/Working_Papers/Archives/1992/WP_92-5.pdf
- Bhar R., Hamori S. (2003) New Evidence of Linkages among G-7 Stock Markets, Finance Letters, 1, 35-40. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=412591
- Bollerslev, T. (1986), A Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity, Journal of Econometrics, 31, pp. 307–327. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0304-4076(86)90063-1
- Bollerslev T. (1990) Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model, Review of Economics and Statistics, 72 (3), pp. 498–505. http://www.jstor.org/stable/2109358
- Bollerslev T., Engle R.F., Wooldridge J.M. (1988) A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-varying Covariances, Journal of Political Economy, 96 (1), pp. 116–131. http://www.jstor.org/stable/1830713
- Branson W. (1983) Macroeconomic Determinants of Real Exchange Rate Risk, in: R. Herring (Ed.), Managing Foreign Exchange Risk, MA: Cambridge University Press.
- Branson W.H., Henderson D.W. (1985) The Specification and Influence of Assets Markets. In Handbook of International Economics, 2, Edited by R.W. Jones, P.B. Kenen, Amsterdam (Elsevier), pp. 749–805.
- Choi D.F., Tian V., Fu F.Y. (2009) Volatility Spillovers between New Zealand Stock Market Returns and Exchange Rate Changes before and after the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis, Asian Journal of Finance & Accounting, 1 (2), pp. 106–117. http://hdl.handle.net/10536/DRO/DU:30042539
- Dornbusch R., Fischer S. (1980) Exchange Rates and the Current Account, American Economic Review, 12, pp. 7–12. http://www.jstor.org/stable/1805775
- Emenike K.O. (2010) Modelling Stock Returns Volatility in Nigeria Using GARCH Models, African Journal of Management and Administration, 3 (1), pp. 8–15. http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/23432/
- Engle R.F. (1982) Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of the United Kingdom Inflation, Econometrica, 50, pp. 987–1008. http://www.jstor.org/stable/1912773
- Engle R.F., Ito T., Lin W.L. (1990) Meteor Showers or Heat Waves? Heteroskedastic Intra-daily Volatility in the Foreign Exchange Market, Econometrica, 58 (3), pp. 525–542. http://www.jstor.org/stable/2938189
- Engle R.F., Kroner K.F. (1995) Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH, Econometric Theory, 11, pp. 122–150. http://www.jstor.org/stable/3532933
- Fedorova E., Saleem K. (2010) Volatility Spillovers between Stock and Currency Markets: Evidence from Emerging Eastern Europe, Journal of Economics and Finance, 60 (6), pp. 519–533. http://journal.fsv.cuni.cz/storage/1199_str_519_533_-_fedorova.pdf
- Felipe S.P., Diranzo C.F. (2006), Volatility Transmission Models: A Survey, Revistade Economia Financiera, pp. 32–81. Available online at: http://papers.ssrn.com/soL3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=929953
- Frankel J. (1983) Monetary and Portfolio Balance Models of Exchange Rate Determination, in: J. Bhandari, B.Putman (Eds), Economic Interdependence and Flexible Exchange Rates, MA, MIT Press.
- Ghosh S. (2012), Volatility Spillover in the Foreign Exchange Market: The Indian experience, Kiel Advanced Studies Working Papers, No. 460. http://www.ifw-kiel.de/ausbildung/asp/asp-wp/2012/TP2%20Ghosh.pdf
- Hamao Y., Masulis R.W, Ng V. (1990) Correlations in Price Changes and Volatility across International Stock Markets, Review of Financial Studies, 3 (2), pp. 281–307. DOI: 10.1093/rfs/3.2.281
- Kang H.S., Yoon S. (2012) Spillover Effects between Exchange Rate and Stock Price in Asian Emerging Markets, The Korean Journal of Financial Engineering, 11, pp. 147–165. http://www.kafe.or.kr/paper/include/download.php?name=1340943430.0993&key=&dir=PAPER&subtype=&viewname=07%B0%AD%BB%F3%C8%C6%C0%B1%BC%B%B9%CE.pdf
- Kang H.S., Yoon S. (2013) Revisited Return and Volatility Spillover Effect in Korea, Korea and the World Economy, 14 (1), pp. 121–145. http://www.akes.or.kr/akes/downfile/14.1.5.%20Kang_Yoon.pdf
- Hong Y. (2001) A Test for Volatility Spillover with Application to Exchange Rates, Journal of Econometrics, 103, pp. 183–224. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0304-4076(01)00043-4
- Hurditt P. (2004) An Assessment of Volatility Transmission in the Jamaican Financial System, Journal of Business, Finance and Economics in Emerging Economies, pp. 1(1), 1–28. http://www.ccmf-uwi.org/files/publications/journal/2006_1_1/1_28.pdf
- Inagaki K. (2007) Testing for Volatility Spillover between the British Pound and the Euro, Research in International Business and Finance, 21, pp. 161–174. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ribaf.2006.03.006
- Kanas, A. (2000), Volatility Spillover between Stock Returns and Exchange Rate Changes: International Evidence, Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, 27 (3&4), 447–467. DOI: 10.1111/1468-5957.00320.
- Karolyi, G. A. (1995), A multivariate GARCH Model of International Transmissions of Stock Returns and Volatility:The Case of the United States and Canada, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 13 (1), 11-25. http://www.jstor.org/stable/1392517
- Kim K. (2003) Dollar Exchange Rate and Stock Price: Evidence from Multivariate Cointegration and Error Correction Model, Review of Financial Economics, 12, pp. 301–313. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1058-3300(03)00026-0
- Ljung G.M., Box G.E.P. (1978) “On a Measure of Lack of Fit in Time Series Models”, Biometrika, 67, pp. 279–303. DOI: 10.1093/biomet/65.2.297
- Malik F., Ewing B.T. (2009) Volatility Transmission between Oil Prices and Equity Sector Returns, International Review of Financial Analysis, 18, pp. 95–100. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.irfa.2009.03.003
- Mishra A.K., Swain N., Malhotra D.K. (2007) Volatility Spillover between Stock and Foreign Exchange Markets: Indian Evidence, International Journal of Business, 12(3), pp. 343–359. http://www.ibrarian.net/navon/page.jsp?paperid=17798268
- Morales L., O’Donnell M. (2007) Volatility Spillovers between Exchange Rates and Equity Markets: Evidence from Spain, Portugal and Italy, Conference pape (6). http://arrow.dit.ie/buschaccon/6
- Nelson D. (1991) Conditional Heteroscedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach, Econometrica, 59 (2), pp. 347–370. http://www.jstor.org/stable/2938260
- Nnachi A. (2008), Financial Linkages of the Nigerian Stock Market, Unpublished PhD Thesis Submitted to the Department of Banking and Finance, University of Nigeria Nsukka.
- Okpara G.C., Odionye J.C. (2012) The Direction of Volatility Spillover between Stock Prices and Exchange Rate: Evidence from Nigeria, Elixir Finance Management, 42, pp. 6410–6414. http://www.elixirpublishers.com/articles/1350724501_42%20%282012%29%206410-6414.pdf
- Turkyilmaz S., Balibey M. (2013) The Relationship among Interest Rate, Exchange Rate and Stock Prices: A BEKKMGARCH Approach, International Journal of Economics, Finance and Management Sciences, 1(3), pp. 166–174. DOI: 10.11648/j.ijefm.20130103.16.
- Yang S., Doong S. (2004) Price and Volatility Spillovers between Stock Prices and Exchange Rates: Empirical Evidence from the G-7 Countries. International Journal of Business and Economics, 3(2), pp. 139–153. http://www.ijbe.org/table%20of%20content/pdf/vol3-2/vol3-2-04.pdf
- Yaya O.S., Shittu O.I. (2010), on the Impact of Inflation and Exchange Rate on Conditional Stock Market Volatility: A Reassessment, American Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, 1 (2), pp. 115–117. DOI:10.5251/ajsir.2010.1.2.115.117
Publication order reference