Supply Chain Management: World’s Companies Experience
Languages of publication
The article covers the study of the biggest and strongest world companies with the best supply chains. The reason is that nowadays unique supply chain can be competitive advantage for the enterprise. Strong supply chain can help to minimize costs, reach new customers, maximize profit, etc. In the article collaboration of the supply chain and its performance drivers (production, inventory, location, transportation and information) is performed; strengths and trends that can affect supply chains in the future are defined. Based on ranking results of Gartner, Inc. 2017 supply chain leaders in the world are highlighted. In 2017 such companies as Unilever, McDonald’s, Inditex had the best supply chains, and perennial supply chain leader Amazon has become “supply chain master”. According to the supply chains’ analysis (Amazon, Inditex (brand Zara) and Unilever) it was defined that each company builds its own supply chain, which is based on specific key elements. So, for example, for Amazon the most important elements of supply chain are warehousing, products’ distribution, own logistics, own production; Zara while constructing its supply chain focuses on such key elements: combination of manufacturer and retailer functions, fast response to trends, low inventory level, environmental responsibility, products’ distribution; Unilever bases its supply chain on such elements as sustainable power utilization, environmental responsibility, strategic partnerships all across the world, own logistics, blockchain development, supply chain transparency and products’ distribution.
- Amazon. Official web site. (n.d.). www.amazon.com. Retrieved from https://www.amazon.com/.
- Aronow, St., Burkett, M., Romano, J., & Nilles, K. (18 May, 2016). The Gartner Supply Chain Top 25 for 2016. static1.squarespace.com. Retrieved from https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54d7b8dce4b0e2c0ce553e2f/t/578ea077ebbd1ad4a3831988/1468964984965/2016+Gartner+Global+Supply+Chain+Top+25.pdf$.
- Aronow, St., Burkett, M., Romano, J., & Nilles, K. (September 19, 2016). The 2016 Supply Chain Top 25: Lessons from Leaders. Supply Chain News. Retrieved from http://www.supplychain247.com/article/the_2016_supply_chain_top_25_lessons_from_leaders.
- Aronow, St., Burkett, M., Romano, J., & Nilles, K. (September/October 2016). The 2016 Supply Chain. TOP 25: Lessons from Leaders. Supply Chain Management Review. Retrieved from https://www.supplychain247.com/images/pdfs/SCMR_Gartner_1609_SCTop25_pg10.pdf.
- Banker, S., Cunnane, Ch., & Reiser, Cl. (January 8, 2018). The Amazon Supply Chain: The Most Innovative in the World? ogisticsviewpoints.com. Retrieved from https://logisticsviewpoints.com/2018/01/08/amazon-supply-chain-innovative-world/.
- Chopra, Sunil, & Meindl, Peter. (n.d.). Supply Chain Management: strategy, planning and operation. 3rd ed. New Jersey: Upper Saddle River. Retrieved from http://mcacareers.in/USER%20DOWNLOAD%20OPTIONS/MCA%20Notes/sem-5/SCM%20TEXTBOOK-SUNIL%20CHOPRA.pdf.
- Christopher, ML. (1992). Logistics and Supply Chain Management. London: Pitman Publishing.
- Chukhrai, N.I. (2009). Assessment of the functioning of the supply chain: essence and conceptual approaches. Bulletin of the National University “Lviv Polytechnic”, 64, 276-285.
- Churchill, Francis. (24 August 2017). Unilever, Nestlé and Tyson join blockchain pioneers. Supply chain, Technology. Retrieved from https://www.cips.org/en/supply-management/news/2017/august/unilever-nestle-and-tyson-join-blockchain-collaboration/.
- Cooper, Martha C., Lambert, Douglas M., & Pagh, Janus D. (1997). Supply chain management: more than a new name for logistics. The International Journal of Logistics Management, Vol. B, 1, 1-14. Retrieved from http://www.eng.auth.gr/mattas/foodima/lamb2.pdf.
- Dubey Rameshwar, & Sadia Samar Ali. (2013). An exploratory study on logistics competency and firm performance. Int. J. Logistics Systems and Management, Vol. 14, 2, 179-199.
- Future Supply Chain 2016 http://supplychainmagazine.fr/TOUTE-INFO/ETUDES/GCI_Capgemini-SC2016.pdf
- Gartner Announces Rankings of the 2017 Supply Chain Top 25. (May 25, 2017). PHOENIX, AZ. Retrieved from https://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/3728919.
- Gartner Supply Chain Top 25 Methodology. (2018). www.gartner.com. Retrieved from https://www.gartner.com/technology/supply-chain/top25_methodology.jsp.
- Gavin van Marle. (21/09/2016). Major supply chain revamp pays dividends for Unilever across Europe. theloadstar.co.uk. Retrieved from https://theloadstar.co.uk/major-supply-chain-revamp-pays-dividends-unilever-across-europe/.
- Gilmore, Dan. (July 13, 2017). Supply Chain Digest What Happened in Supply Chain in 1H 2017. Supply Chain Digest. Retrieved from http://www.scdigest.com/ firstthoughts/17-07-13.php?cid=12711.
- Gilmore, Dan. (June 1, 2017). Understanding the 2017 Gartner Top 25 Supply Chain Rankings. Supply Chain Digest. Retrieved from http://www.scdigest.com/ firstthoughts/17-06-01.php?cid=12510.
- Hugos, M.H. (n.d.). Essentials of Supply Chain Management. 3rd ed.
- Inditex. Official web site. (n.d.). www.inditex.com. Retrieved from https://www.inditex.com/.
- Krykavskyi, Ye.V. (2016). Industrial Chains of Supply: Between Efficiency and Responsibility. Current problems of economy, 5 (179), 30-41.
- La Londe, Bernard J., & Masters, James M. (1994). Emerging Logistics Strategies: Blueprints for the Next Century. International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, Vol. 24, 7, 35-47.
- Lofvers, Martijn. (16 October 2017). Blockchain unleashed. supplychainmovement.com. Retrieved from https://www.supplychainmovement.com/ blockchain-unleashed/.
- Machowiak Wojciech. (n.d.). Risk management – unappreciated instrument of supply chain management strategy. Poznań: Poznan School of Logistics. Retrieved from http://www.logforum.net/pdf/8_4_1_12.pdf.
- Marcel te Lindert. (30 August 2016). Unilever wants to improve its planning and differentiation. supplychainmovement.com. Retrieved from https://www. supplychainmovement.com/unilever-wants-to-improve-its-planning-and-differentiation/.
- O’Byrne, Rob. (Nov 28, 2016). 4 Best-in-Class Supply Chains To Watch and Learn From. Case Studies, Supply Chain. Retrieved from https://www.logisticsbureau.com/ 4-best-in-class-supply-chains-to-watch-and-learn-from/.
- Oliver, R.K., & Webber, M.D. (1982). Supply-chain management: logistics catches up with strategy. Outlook, 5(1), 42-47.
- Ovenden, James. (n.d.). Unilever's Supply Chain Shows The Importance Of Sustainability. channels.theinnovationenterprise.com. Retrieved from https://channels.theinnovationenterprise.com/articles/unilever-s-supply-chain-shows-the-importance-of-sustainability.
- Randall, Wesley S., & Mello, John E. (2012). Grounded theory: an inductive method for supply chain research. International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management, Vol. 42, 8/9, 863-880. https://doi.org/10.1108/09600031211269794.
- Slack, Eric. (07 December 2016). Unilever. scw-mag.com. Retrieved from www.scw-mag.com/sections/manufacturing-distribution/807-unilever.
- Stock, J.R., & Boyer, S.L. (2009). Developing a consensus definition of supply chain management: a qualitative study. International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management, Vol. 39, 8, 690-711.
- Supply chain drivers and matrics. (n.d.). slideshare.net. Retrieved from http://www.slideshare.net/ujjmishra/supply-chain-drivers-metrics.
- Transnova. Official web site. (n.d.). transnova.co.za. Retrieved from https://www.transnova.co.za/resources/case-studies-details/unilever.
- Trebilcock, Bob. (January 2, 2015). What Does It Take To Remain A Supply Chain Leader? Supply Chain News. Retrieved from http://www.supplychain247.com/article/what_does_it_take_to_remain_a_supply_chain_leader.
- Unilever and Nestlé Publish Detailed Supplier Lists. (March 1, 2018). Chain Reaction Research. Retrieved from https://www.valuewalk.com/2018/03/nilever-nestle-supply-chain/.
- Unilever discloses entire palm oil supply chain; explains decision as vital in addressing deforestation and human rights abuses. (19 February 2018). Thomson Reuters Foundation. Retrieved from https://www.business-humanrights.org/en/unilever-discloses-entire-palm-oil-supply-chain-explains-decision-as-vital-in-addressing-deforestation-and-human-rights-abuses-0.
- Unilever factories and logistics reduce CO2 by 1 million tonnes. (15 April, 2013). unilever.com. Retrieved from https://www.unilever.com/news/Press-releases/2013/13-04-15-Unilever-factories-and-logistics-reduce-CO2-by-1-million-tonnes.html 37. Unilever https://www.unilever.com/
- Unilever https://www.unilever.com/
- Vachon, S., & Klassen, R.D. (2007). Supply chain management and environmental technologies: the role of integration. International Journal of Production Research, 45 (2), 401-423.
- Valinsky, Jordan. (February 9, 2018). 5 ways Amazon has already changed Whole Foods. money.cnn.com. Retrieved from http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/09/news/companies/ amazon-whole-foods-changes/index.html.
- Why Unilever Tops the Gartner European Supply Chain Ranking. (October 24, 2017). Paul Trudgian Ltd. Supply Chain & Logistics Consultancy. paultrudgian.co.uk. Retrieved from https://www.paultrudgian.co.uk/why-unilever-tops-the-gartner-european-supply-chain-ranking/.
- Zara’s Fashion Retail Supply Chain Strategies. (December 7, 2014). Supply Chain News. Retrieved from http://www.supplychain247.com/article/zaras_fashion_retail_supply_chain_strategies.
Publication order reference