Reflective Solidarity as to Provincial Globalism and Shared Health Governance
Selected contents from this journal
Languages of publication
There is a special need for solidarity at the global level to address global health disparities. Ter Meulen argues that solidarity must complement justice, and is, in fact, more fundamental than justice to the arrangement of health care practices. We argue that PG/SHG, though a theory of justice, is fundamentally synergistic with solidarity. We relate PG/SHG to Jodi Dean’s conceptual work on reflective solidarity, contrasted with conventional solidarity, as an approach to transnational solidarity that dovetails with PG/SHG. We argue that PG/SHG meets both the need for solidarity at the global level and the need for solidarity within theories of the arrangement of health care practices.
- S.R. Benatar, A.S. Daar, P.A. Singer, “Global Health Ethics: The Rationale for Mutual Caring,” International Affairs (79) 2003, p. 107–138.
- J. Dean, Solidarity of Strangers: Feminism after Identity Politics, University of California Press, Berkeley, CA 1996.
- M. Gilbert, The Structure of the Social Atom: Joint Commitment as the Foundation of Human Social Behavior, [in:] Socializing Metaphysics: The Nature of Social Reali-ty, F.F. Schmitt (ed.), Rowman & Littlefield, Lanham, MD 2003, p. 39–64.
- S. Harmon, “Solidarity: A (New) Ethic for Global Health Policy,” Health Care Analysis (14/4) 2006, p. 215–236.
- R. Houtepen, R. ter Meulen, “New Types of Solidarity in the European Welfare State,” Health Care Analysis (8) 2000, p. 329–340.
- R. Jaeggi, Solidarity and Indifference, [in:] R. ter Meulen, W. Arts and R. Muffels (eds.), Solidarity in Health and Social Care in Europe, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, p. 287–308.
- J.P. Ruger, “Ethics of Development Assistance for Health,” Hastings Center Report (45/3) 2015, p. 23–26.
- J.P. Ruger, “Global Health Justice and Governance,” The American Journal of Bioethics (12/12) 2012, p. 25–54.
- J.P. Ruger, Health and Social Justice, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK 2010.
- J.P. Ruger, “Health Capability: Conceptualization and Operationalization,” American Journal of Public Health (100/1) 2010, p. 41–49.
- J.P. Ruger, “Shared Health Governance,” The American Journal of Bioethics (11/7) 2011, p. 32–45.
- R. ter Meulen, “Solidarity and Justice in Health Care: A Critical Analysis of Their Relationship,” Diametros (43) 2015, p. 1–20.
Publication order reference