A hybrid SETARX model for spikes in tight electricity markets
Selected contents from this journal
Languages of publication
The paper discusses a simple looking but highly nonlinear regime-switching, self-excited threshold model for hourly electricity prices in continuous and discrete time. The regime structure of the model is linked to organizational features of the market. In continuous time, the model can include spikes without using jumps, by defining stochastic orbits. In passing from continuous time to discrete time, the stochastic orbits survive discretization and can be identified again as spikes. A calibration technique suitable for the discrete version of this model, which does not need deseasonalization or spike filtering, is developed, tested and applied to market data. The discussion of the properties of the model uses phase-space analysis, an approach uncommon in econometrics.
- AESO Procedures, 2012. Available on the AESO web site at URL http://www.aeso.ca/rulesprocedures/8778.html
- All market data used in this paper are available at the AESO web site, http://www.aeso.ca/ C. LUCHERONI
- ANDERSON C.L., DAVISON M., A hybrid system-econometric model for electricity spot prices: considering spike sensitivity to forced outage distributions, IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, 2008, 23, 3, 927–937.
- BARLOW M.T., A diffusion model for electricity prices, Mathematical Finance, 2002, 12, 4, 287–298.
- BECKER R., HUM A.S., PAVLOV V., Modelling spikes in electricity prices, Economic Record, 2007, 83, 263, 371–382.
- BENTH F.E., BENTH Y.S., KOEKEBAKKER S., Stochastic modeling of electricity and related markets, World Scientific, Singapore, 2008.
- BUNN D.W., OLIVERA F.S., Agent-based simulation – An application to the new electricity trading arrangements of England and Wales, IEEE Trans. on Evolutionary Computation, 2001, 5, 5, 493–503.
- CARTEA A., FIGUEROA M., Pricing in electricity markets: A mean reverting jump diffusion model with seasonality, A. Math. Fin., 2005, 12, 4, 313–335.
- CARTEA A., FIGUEROA M., GEMAN H., Modelling electricity prices with forward looking capacity constraints, App. Math. Fin., 2009, 16, 2, 103–122.
- COOMBES S., Phase-locking in networks of pulse-coupled McKean relaxation oscillators, Physica D, 2001, 160, 3–4, 173–188.
- DE JONG C., The nature of power spikes: A regime-switch approach, Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics and Econometrics, 2006, 10, 3.
- DE JONG C., HUISMAN R., Option pricing for power prices with spikes, Energy Power and Risk Management, 2003, 7, 11, 12–16.
- EYDELAND A., GEMAN H., Fundamentals of energy derivatives, [in:] Energy modelling and the management of uncertainty, Risk Books, London 1999, 35–43.
- GEMAN H., Commodities and commodity derivatives, Wiley, Chichester 2005.
- GEMAN H., RONCORONI A., Understanding the fine structure of electricity prices, Journal of Business, 2006, 79, 1225–1261.
- GŁADYSZ B., KUCHTA D., Application of regression trees in the analysis of electricity load, Operations Research and Decisions, 2008, 18, 4, 19–28.
- HAMILTON J.D., A new approach to the economic analysis of nonstationary time series and the business cycle, Econometrica, 1989, 57, 357–384.
- HAMILTON J.D., Regime switching models, [in:] S. N. Durlauf, L. E. Blume (Eds.), The new Palgrave dictionary of economics, 2nd Ed., Macmillan, Basingstoke 2008.
- HANSEN B.E., Inference in TAR models, Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics and Econometrics, 1997, 2, 1, 1–14.
- HUISMAN R., The influence of temperature on spike probability in day-ahead power prices, Energy Economics, 2008, 30, 5, 2697–2704.
- HUISMAN R., MATHIEU R., Regime jumps in electricity prices, Energy Economics, 2003, 25, 425–434.
- JANCZURA J., WERON R., An empirical comparison of alternate regime-switching models for electricity spot prices, Energy Economics, 2010, 32, 5, 1059–1073.
- JANJANI A., ZAREIPOUR H., An overview of the operation of the Alberta electricity market, Proceedings of the 23rd Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE), 2010, 1–6. Available on IEEE Xplore, DOI: 10.1109/CCECE.2010.5575104.
- KANAMURA T., OHASHI K., On transition probabilities of regime switching in electricity prices, Energy Economics, 2008, 30, 3, 1158–1172.
- KIM C.-J., NELSON C.R., State space models with regime switching, The MIT Press, Boston 1999.
- KUTOYANTS YU.A., On identification of the threshold diffusion processes, Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, 2012, 64, 2, 383–413.
- LUCHERONI C., Resonating models for the electric power market, Phys. Rev. E, 2007, 76, 056116/116. A hybrid SETARX model for spikes in tight electricity markets
- LUCHERONI C., A resonating model for the power market and its calibration, Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on the European Energy Market (EEM), 2009, 1–5. Available on IEEE Xplore, DOI: 10.1109/EEM.2009.5207157.
- LUCHERONI C., Stochastic models of resonating markets, Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination, 2010, 5, 1, 77–88.
- LUCHERONI C., TARX models for spikes and antispikes in electricity markets, Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on the European Energy Market (EEM), 2010, 1–6. Available on IEEE Xplore, DOI: 10.1109/EEM.2010.5558724.
- MCKEAN H.P., Nagumo’s equation, Adv. Math., 1970, 4, 209–223.
- MISIOREK A., TRUECK S., WERON R., Point and interval forecasting of spot electricity prices: Linear vs. non-linear time series models, Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics and Econometrics, 2006, 10, 3, 2.
- MOUNT T.D., NING Y., CAI K., Predicting price spikes in electricity markets using a regimeswitching model with time-varying parameters, Energy Economics, 2006, 28, 1, 62–80.
- Power Pool of Alberta, Economic Withholding in the Alberta Energy Market, 2002.
- RAMBHARAT B.R., BROCKWELL A., SEPPI D., A threshold autoregressive model for wholesale electricity prices, J. R. Statist. Soc., 2005, Series C, 54, 287–299.
- SAPANKEVYCH N.I., SANKAR R., Time series prediction using support vector machines: A survey, IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine, 2009, 4, 2, 24–38.
- See for example http://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/tight-market
- STOFT S., Power system economics, IEEE Press, Piscataway, 2003.
- TONG H., Non-linear time series: A dynamical system approach, Oxford University Press, Oxford 1990.
- TONG H., LIM K.S., Treshold autoregression, limit cycles and cyclical data, Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, 1980, Ser. B, 42, 245–292.
- TSAY R.S., Testing and modeling threshold autoregressive processes, J. Amer. Statist. Assoc., 1989,84, 405, 231–240.
- TSAY R.S., Testing and modelling multivariate threshold models, J. Amer. Statist. Assoc., 1998, 93, 443, 1188–1202.
- The Alberta power market, W.D. Walls, A. Hollis (Eds.), The Van Horne Institute, Calgary, 2007.
- WERON R., Modeling and forecasting electricity loads and prices: A statistical approach, Wiley,Chichester, 2006.
- WERON R., MISIOREK A., Forecasting spot electricity prices: A comparison of parametric and semiparametric time series models, International Journal of Forecasting, 2008, 24, 4, 744–763.
- WOOD A.J., WOLLENBERG B.F., Power generation operation and control, Wiley, Hoboken 1996
Publication order reference