Productivity, Profitability and Resource Use Efficiency: A Comparative Analysis between Conventional and High Yielding Rice in Rajbari District, Bangladesh
Languages of publication
The study was analyzed the determinants, costs and benefits and resources allocation of both conventional and high yielding rice cultivation over the Rajbari district of Bangladesh. Data were accumulated from 300 regular rice growers of conventional and high yielding varieties and random sampling technique was applied for selecting the respondents from the study area from which information was collected through pre-tested questionnaire. Cobb – Douglas production function and gross margin were mainly used to determine the productivities and profits of both rice and the marginal value of the product was highly recommended to derive the optimal use of the resources. Results obtained by applying ordinary least square method showed that the most important factors of production in the study area were irrigation, labor, fertilizer and insecticide costs whose elasticities were 0.904, 0.048, 0.045 and 0.044 respectively and insignificant factors were seed and ploughing costs whose elasticities were – 0.009 and 0.030 respectively for high yielding rice. On the other hand, irrigation, insecticide, seed and ploughing costs of elasticities 0.880, 0.589, 0.116 and – 0.127 respectively were the important factors and minor role playing factors were labor and fertilizer costs whose elasticities were 0.098 and 0.077 respectively for conventional yielding rice. The core message from productivity analysis was that the irrigation was key variable which played a positive and vital role in producing rice of both varieties. All variables (resources) were economically misallocated in the production activities of both varieties along the study area but high yielding rice was more profitable than conventional one. Results also showed that the farmers of the study area produced rice of both varieties in the inefficient range of production. Continuous supply of electricity, flexible credit and improving the existing resources were the prime policy recommendations of producing more rice efficiently in future in the study area.
- Ahmed, R., Haggblade, S., & Chowdhury, T. E. (Eds.). (2000). Out of the Shadow of Famine: Evolving Food Markets and Food Policy in Bangladesh. Baltimore, MD: Published for the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) by Johns Hopkins University Press. Retrieved from http://ebrary.ifpri.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15738coll2/id/129702
- Backman, S., Islam, K. M. Z., & Sumelius, J. (2011). Determinants of technical efficiency of rice farms in North-Central and North-Western regions in Bangladesh. The Journal of Developing Areas, 45, 73–94. doi: 10.1353/jda.2011.0001
- Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. (2010). Yearbook of Agricultural Statistics of Bangladesh 2010. Dhaka: Statistics Division, Ministry of Planning. Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh.
- Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. (2011). Yearbook of Agricultural Statistics of Bangladesh 2011. Retrieved from http://www.bbs.gov.bd/PageWebMenuContent.aspx?MenuKey=234
- Bapari, M. Y., & Joy, M. A. K. (2016). Estimation of Rice Production Function in Rajbari District, Bangladesh: an Econometric Analysis. Asian Journal of Humanity, Art and Literature, 3(1), 99-112. Retrieved from http://journals.abc.us.org/index.php/ajhal/article/view/790
- Grema, I. J., & Gashua, A. G. (2014). Economic analysis of onion production along river Komadugu area of Yobe state, Nigeria. IOSR Journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Science (IOSR-JAVS), 7(10), 05-11. Retrieved from http://www.iosrjournals.org/iosr-javs/papers/vol7-issue10/Version-1/B071010511.pdf
- Hasnain, M. N., Hossain, M. E., & Islam, M. K. (2015). Technical Efficiency of Boro Rice Production in Meherpur District of Bangladesh: A Stochastic Frontier Approach. American Journal of Agriculture and Forestry, 3(2), 31-37. doi: 10.11648/j.ajaf.20150302.14.
- Hossain, M. E., & Rahman, Z. (2012). Technical Efficiency Analysis of Rice Farmers in Naogaon District: An Application of the Stochastic Frontier Approach. Journal of Economics and Development Studies, 1(1), 1–20.
- Koutsoyiannis, A. (1979). Modern Microeconomics (2nd ed.). NY, USA: Macmillan Education. doi: 10.1007/9781349160778
- Ministry of Finance Government of The People’s Republic of Bangladesh. (2011). Bangladesh Economic Review 2011. Retrieved from http://www.mof.gov.bd/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=211
- Nargis, F., & Lee, S. H. (2013). Efficiency analysis of boro rice production in North-Central region of Bangladesh. The Journal of Animal & Plant Sciences, 23(2), 527-533. Retrieved from http://www.thejaps.org.pk/docs/v-23-2/32.pdf
- Nimoh, F., Asuming-Brempong, S., & Sarpong, D. B. (2012). Consumer Preference for Processed Cowpea Products in Selected Communities of the Coastal Regions of Ghana. Asian Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development, 2 (2), 113-119. Retrieved from http://www.aessweb.com/pdf-files/2-30-2(2)2012-AJARD-113-119.pdf
- Omotesho, O. A., Lawal, A. M. & Yusuf, Y. K. (2010). Economics small scale rice production in Patigi and Edu local government areas of Kwara sate, Nigeria. African Journal of Agricultural Research, 5(4).
- Sarkar, M. S. K., Hasan, M. R., Feardous, M. A., Shuhel, M. M. H., Moniruzzaman (2010). Comparative Economic Analysis of Borrower and Non – Borrower Boro Rice Farmers in some selected sites of Mymensingh District. Bangladesh Journal of Agricultural Research, 35(1), 65-76. doi: 10.3329/bjar.v35i1.5867.
- Sarma, P. K., Raha, S. K., & Jorgensen, H. (2014). An economic analysis of beef cattle fattening in selected areas of Pabna and Sirajgonj Districts. Journal of the Bangladesh Agricultiral University, 12(1), 127–134. doi: 10.3329/jbau.v12i1.21402
- Tan, Bao Hong. (2008). Cobb-Douglas production function. Retrieved from http://docentes.fe.unl.pt/~jamador/Macro/cobb-douglas.pdf
- Wagan, S. A., Noonari, S. M, Memon, I. N., Bhatti, M. A., Kalwar, G. Y., Sethar, A. A., & Jamro, A. S. (2015). Comparative Economic Analysis of Hybrid Rice v/s Conventional Rice Production in District Badin Sindh Province Pakistan. Journal of Environment and Earth Science, 5(3), 76-89. Retrieved from http://www.iiste.org/Journals/index.php/JEES/article/viewFile/20109/20295
- Wosor, D. K, & Nimoh, F. (2012). Resource use efficiency in Chili Pepper production in the Keta municipality of Volta Region of Ghana. Elixir Production Management, 47, 8595-8598. Retrieved from http://www.elixirpublishers.com/articles/1350379464_47%20(2012)%208595-8598.pdf
Publication order reference