Parental satisfaction with school – determining factors
Languages of publication
The article presents the results from a questionnaire survey on the opinion of parents about pre-school and early school education conducted in 2011. This analysis focuses on school assessment by parents who have at least one child attending school. in analyses, five factors describing parental satisfaction emerged: child satisfaction with school, learning load attractiveness of classes, contact with peers, special classes. Regression analyses were used to examine relations between identified factors and a general assessment of satisfaction with the care and education of the child. The strongest predictors for satisfaction with care and the child’s education are child’s satisfaction with school (factor 1) and attractiveness of classes (factor 3).
- Bourdieu, P. and Passeron, J.-C. (2006). Reprodukcja [Reproduction]. Warszawa: PWN.
- Centrum Badania Opinii Społecznej [CBOS] (2007). Społeczny wizerunek szkoły [Social image of the school]. Retrieved from http://www.cbos.pl/SPISKOM.POL/2007/K_091_07.PDF
- Centrum Badania Opinii Społecznej (2011). Edukacja małych dzieci. Niepublikowany maszynopis [Education of young children. Unpublished manuscript]. Warszawa: CBOS.
- Dweck, C. S. (2008). Can personality be changed? The role of beliefs in personality and change. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 17(6), 391–394.
- Eccles, J. S. and Harold, R. (1996). Family involvement in children’s and adolescents’ schooling. In J. D. A. Booth (ed.), Family-school links: how do they affect educational outcomes (pp. 3–35). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Epstein, J. L. (1991). Effects on student achievement of teachers’ practices of parent involvement. In S. B. Silvern (ed.), Advances in reading/language research. Literacy through family, community and school interaction (vol. 5, pp. 261–276). Greenwich: JAI Press.
- Erickson, C. D et al., (1996), Parent satisfaction and alienation from schools: examining ethnic differences [Paper presented at The American Psychological Association Conference], Toronto.
- Fantuzzo, J., Perry, M. A. and Childs, S. (2006). Parent satisfaction with educational experiences scale: a multivariate examination of parent satisfaction with early childhood education programs. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 21(2), 142–152.
- Faubert, V. (2009). School evaluation: current practices in OECD countries and a literature review. OECD Education Working Paper, 42, 6–31.
- Friedman, B., Bobrowski, P. and Geraci, J., (2006). Parents’ school satisfaction: ethnic similarities and differences. Journal of Educational Administration, 44(5), 471–486.
- Friedman, B., Bobrowski, P. and Markow, D. (2007). Predictors of parents’ satisfaction with their children’s school. Journal of Educational Administration, 45(3), 278–288.
- Griffith, J. (1996). Relation of parental involvement, empowerment, and school traits to student academic performance. Journal of Educational Research, 90(1), 33–41.
- Grolnick, W. S., Friendly, R. and Bellas, V. (2009). Parenting and children’s motivation at school. In K. R. Wentzel and A. Wigfield (eds.), Handbook of motivation at school (pp. 279–300). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Mendel, M. (2006). Rodzina a edukacja małego dziecka [Family and the education of a young child]. In A. Blumsztajn and T. Szlendak (eds.), Małe dziecko w Polsce. Raport o sytuacji edukacji elementarnej [Young child in Poland. Report on the situation of elementary education] (pp.150–163). Warszawa: Fundacja Rozwoju Dzieci im. J. A. Komeńskiego.
- Lareau, A. (1987). Social class differences in family–school relationship: the importance of cultural capital. Sociology of Education, 60(2), 73–85.
- Lumby, J. (2007). Parent voice: knowledge, values and viewpoint. Improving Schools, 10(3), 220–232.
- Räty, H., Jaukka, P. and Kasanen, K. (2004). Parents’ satisfaction with their child’s first year of school. Social Psychology of Education, 7(4), 463–47. doi: 10.1007/s11218-004-5764-2
- Räty, H. (2007), Parents’ own school recollections influence their perception of the functioning of their child’s school, European Journal of Psychology of Education, 22(3), 387–398.
- Winiarski, M. (1993). Współdziałanie szkoły i rodziny – realia i możliwości [The interaction of the school and the family – the realities and possibilities]. Problemy Opiekuńczo-Wychowawcze, 5, 207–210.
- Wojciszke, B. (2011). Psychologia społeczna [Social psychology]. Warszawa: Scholar.
Publication order reference