Masking problem in identification of service quality determinants with an application of the cart model – an example of the public services quality research in Poland
Languages of publication
An important part of customer satisfaction surveys of the acquired service is to identify the key factors affecting its quality. Since customer satisfaction is a complex category thus its measurement and analysis require the use of multivariate statistical methods. One of them is the CART method (Classification and Regression Trees). Its use in the identification of the key determinants of the quality of services may, however, be associated with the emergence of the so-called variable masking problem, that was characterized in the article. Possible ways of solving it were exemplified in the customer satisfaction survey results of one of the Polish Municipal Offices.
- Atay L., Yildirim H.M., Determining the factors that affect the satisfaction of students having under-graduate tourism education with the department by means of the method of classification tree, „Tourismo: An International Multidisciplinary Journal of Tourism“ 2010, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 73-87.
- Breiman L., Friedman J.H., Olshen R.A., Stone C.J., Classification and Regression Trees, third edition, Chapman & Hall/CRC 1998.
- Bugdol M., Zarządzanie jakością w urzędach administracji publicznej: teoria i praktyka, Difin, War-szawa 2008.
- De Oña J., De Oña R., Calvo F.J., A classification tree approach to identify key factors of transit service quality, “Expert Systems with Applications” 2012, vol. 39, issue. 12, pp. 11164-11171.
- Galimberti G., Soffritti G., Tree-based methods and decision trees, [in:] R.S. Kenett, S. Salini (eds.), 2012, pp. 284-307.
- Guo Y., Niu D., An analysis model of power customer satisfaction based on the decision tree, “International Journal of Business and Management” 2009, vol. 2, issue 3, pp. 32-36.
- Ishwaran H., Variable importance in binary regression trees and forests, “Electronic Journal of Sta-tistics” 2007, vol. 1, s. 519-537.
- Kenett R., Salini S., Modern Analysis of Customer Surveys: with Applications using R, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester 2012.
- Mei-Ping X., Wei-Ya Z., The analysis of customers’ satisfaction degree based on decision tree model, ”Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery” 2010, vol. 6, pp. 2928-2931.
- Nicolini G., Salini S., Customer satisfaction in the airline industry: The case of British Airways, “Quality and Reliability Engineering International“ 2006, vol. 22, issue 5, pp. 581-589.
- Steinberg D., Colla P., CART. Interface and Documentation, San Diego, Salford Systems 1997 (http://www.salford-systems.com/).
- Thomas E., Galambos N., What satisfies students? Mining student-opinion data with regression and decision tree analysis, “Research in Higher Education” 2004, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 251-269.
- Tutore V.A., Siciliano R., Aria M., Conditional classification trees using instrumental variables, “Advances in Intelligent Data Analysis VII” 2007, pp. 163-173.
Publication order reference