Does Ukraine Have a Policy on Emigration? Transcending the State-Centered Approach
Languages of publication
This article examines the current state of Ukraine’s policy towards emigration. The authors seek to transcend the state-oriented approach, highlighting the role that diaspora and non-governmental organisations played in accelerating the process of policy formulation in this area. Explanations are provided for the Ukrainian state’s failure to actively implement a consistent policy on emigration. A historical overview of the legal and institutional developments shows that the issue did not have much priority during the first two decades of the country’s independence. It emerges that external pressure from the EU and non-state actors was needed to elaborate a set of guarantees for Ukrainian emigrants. Since 2011 a series of legislative initiatives have been launched, whose effectiveness is in doubt as long as the country does not overcome the larger challenges of territorial integrity and financial stability. The authors argue that for the Ukrainian policy towards emigration to be effective, opportunities need to be created for the permanent consultation and involvement of diaspora and non-governmental organisations.
- Laws and official documents
- Act on Employment of Population of 1 March 1991 (Information Bulletin of the Ministry of Labour of Ukraine of 1993, No. 2, pp. 1-20)
- Act on Employment of Population of 5 July 2012 (Official Gazette of 27.08.2012, No. 63, p. 17 section 2 565)
- Act on External Labour Migration (draft) of November 2013
- Act on Legal Status of Ukrainians Abroad of 4 March 2004 (Government Courier of 3 April 2004, No. 63)
- Concept of State Migration Policy of Ukraine of 30 May 2011
- Decree of the President of Ukraine on Main Directions of the Social Policy for 1997-2000 of 18 October 1997
- Decree of the President of Ukraine, Main Directions of Social Policy until 2004 of 24 May 2000
- Operational Plan of Action for the Regulation of Migration Processes in 2011-2015 Years, approved on 11 March 2011
- Programme on the Provision of Rights and Interests of Citizens Going Abroad for Employment and Children Adopted by Foreigners of 17 November 2004
- Strategy of Demographic Development until 2015, Resolution N 382-p of 6 June 2007
- Articles and reports
- Aleinikoff A. T. (2002). International Legal Norms and Migration: An Analysis. Geneva: International Organisation for Migration.
- Basch L. G., Glick Schiller N., Szanton Blanc C. (1994). Nations Unbound: Transnational Projects, Postcolonial Predicaments and Deterritorialized Nation-States. Langhorne PA: Gordon and Breach.
- Bogdan T. (2010). Labour Migrants’ Problems – Acute Policy Challenge for Ukraine. Kyiv: Institute for Economics and Forecasting of NAS of Ukraine.
- Brubaker R. (2005). The ‘Diaspora’ Diaspora. Ethnic and Racial Studies 28(1): 1-19.
- Butler K. (2001). Defining Diaspora. Refining a Discourse. Diaspora 10(2): 189-219.
- Cariño B. (1987). Impacts of Emigration on Sending Countries. Center for Migration Studies Special Issue, Pacific Bridges: The New immigration from Asia and the Pacific Island 5(3): 405-426.
- Chumak V., Kazmierkiewicz P. (2009). Coordinating Migration Policy in Ukraine: Lessons from Poland. Warsaw, Kyiv: Institute of Public Affairs, International Centre for Policy Studies.
- Coupe T., Vakhitova H. (2013). Costs and Benefits of Labour Mobility between the EU and the Eastern Partnership Partner Countries. Kyiv: Centre for Social and Economic Research.
- de Haas H. (2007). Morocco’s Migration Experience: A Transitional Perspective. International Migration 54(4): 39-70.
- de Haas H. (2010). Migration and Development: A Theoretical Perspective. International Migration Review 44(1): 227-264.
- Delano A. (2012). From ‘Shared Responsibility’ to a Migration Agreement? The Limits for Cooperation in the Mexico-United States Case (2000-2008). International Migration 50, Supplement s1: e41-e50.
- Fihel A. (2011). Post-accession Migration from Poland: An Quantitative Review, in: J. Rostek, D. Uffelmann (ed.), Contemporary Polish Migrant Culture and Literature in Germany, Ireland, and the UK. Frankfurt am Main, Berlin, Bern, Bruxelles, New York, Oxford, Wien: PETER LANG International Academic Publishers.
- Fitzgerald D. (2005). State and Emigration. A Century of Emigration Policy in Mexico. Working Paper 123. San Diego: Centre for Comparative Immigration Studies, University of California.
- Frelak J., Kaźmierkiewicz P. (2005). Rekomendacje dla ukraińskiej polityki migracyjnej. Warsaw: Institute for Public Affairs.
- Gamlen A. (2008). Why Engage Diasporas? Working Paper 63. Oxford: Centre on Migration, Policy and Society, University of Oxford.
- González G. C. (2001). Fostering Identities: Mexico’s Relations with its Diaspora. Journal of American History 86(2): 545-567.
- International Labour Organisation (2012). Ensuring Social Security Benefits for Ukrainian Migrant Workers. Kyiv: International Labour Organisation.
- Ivankova-Steciuk O. (2012). Cerkva w migracyonnom pristori. Etnokulturni risursi i socio-intehracyjnyi potencyal religioznych obszczin Ukrainciv [Church in Migration Space. Ethnocultural Resources and Socio-Integrative Potential of Religious Communities of Ukrainians]. Lviv: Artos.
- Jaroszewicz M., Strielkowski W., Duchac T. (2014). Ukrainians EU Migration Prospects. OSW Commentary, March 2014. Warsaw: Centre for Eastern Studies.
- Jaroszewicz M., Szerepka L. (2007). Migration Challenges in the EU Eastern Neighbourhood. Warsaw: Centre for Eastern Studies.
- Keohane R. O., Nye J. S. (1977) Power and Interdependence: World Politics in Transition. Boston: Little Brown.
- Kluczkovska I. (2012). Ukrainska mova u switi: kontekst suczasnych realiv [Ukrainian Language in a World in Contemporary Context], in: I. Kluczkovska (ed.), Ukrainska mova u switi. Zbirnik materialiv II Miezdunarodnoj naukovo-praktychnoi konferencji [Ukrainian Language in a World. Materials from II International Scientific-Practical Conference], pp. 3-16. Lviv: Lviv Polytechnic Institute.
- Konik V. (2010). Spivpraca ukrainskoi derzavy iz zakordonnymi ukrainstwom jak vydobrazenyia vnutryshpolitychnoi situacyi v Ukraini ta ii zovishnopolitychnoho kursu [Cooperation between Ukrainian State and Ukrainians Abroad as a Reflection of Internal Political Situation in Ukraine and its Foreign Policy], in I. Kluczkovska (ed.), Diaspora yak chynnik utwerzdenyia derzavy Ukraina y miznarodnoy vspilnoti: suczasnyj wymir, proyekcya w maybutnye [Diaspora as Factor of Ukrainian State Reinforcement in International Community], pp. 78-80. Lviv: Lviv Polytechnic Institute Publishing.
- Kuzio T. (2012). The Ukrainian Immobile State Two Decades after the Disintegration of the USSR. Communistic and Post-Communistic Studies 45(3-4): 413-415.
- Lesińska M. (2010). State’s Policy towards Return Migration: Considerations on Theoretical Assumptions, in: M. Lesińska (ed.), State Policy towards Return Migration of Own Citizens. Theory and Practice, pp. 7-15. CMR Working Papers 44/102. Warsaw: Centre of Migration Research.
- Lesińska M. (2013). The Dilemmas of Policy Towards Return Migration. The Case of Poland after the EU Accession. Central and Eastern European Migration Review 2(1): 77-90.
- Light M. A. (2012). What Does it Mean to Control Migration? Soviet Mobility Policies in Comparative Perspective. Law & Social Inquiry 37(2): 395-429.
- Malynovska O. (2010). Migracijna polityka Ukrai'ny: stan i perspektyvy rozvytku [Migration Policy of Ukraine: Current Stance and Development Perspectives]. Kyiv: National Institute of Strategic Research.
- Olszański T. A. (2014). Unity Stronger than Divisions. Ukraine’s Internal Diversity. Warsaw: Centre for Eastern Studies.
- Ryabchuk M. (2012). Ukraine’s Muddling Through: National Identity and PostcommunisticTransition. Communistic and Post-Communistic Studies 45(3-4): 439-446.
- Rosenblum M. R. (2004). Moving Beyond the Policy of No Policy: Emigration from Mexico and Central America. Latin America Politics & Society 46(4): 91-125.
- Szczepański M. (2012). Polityka rządu polskiego wobec najnowszych migracji powrotnych. Przegląd Polonijny 1: 85-96.
- Schreiber W. (2010). The Ukrainian Diaspora Divided. Business Ukraine 4(12).
- Tolstokarova A. (2012). State Policy on Emigration and Diasporas in Ukraine. CARIM-East Explanatory Note 12/29. Florence: European University Institute.
- Ukrainian Canadian Congress (2009). Participation of the Ukrainian Canadian Congress in Parliamentary Hearing on the Topic ‘Ukrainians Abroad: Current Situation and Perspectives of Development’. Online: http://www.ucc.ca/2009/10/14/ucc-presents-to-verkhovna-rada-on-the-diasp... (accessed: 13 June 2014).
- Vertovec S. (2005). The Political Importance of Diasporas. Oxford: Centre on Migration, Policy and Society, University of Oxford.
- World Bank (2013). Migration and Remittance Flows: Recent Trends and Outlook, 2013-2016. Migration and Development Brief, October 2. Washington, D. C.: World Bank.
- Zolberg A. R. (1999). Matters of State: Theorizing Immigration Policy, in: Ch. Hirschmann, P. Kasinitz, J. DeWind (eds.), The Handbook of International Migration: US Experience. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
Publication order reference